Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Great 4.5/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Free Internet
Very Good 4/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I will never stay at a Crowne Plaza Hotel again (that's bad considering that this was my first time there) because of my experience here in West Richmond. The carpet in the main hallway was not level, so someone could possibly trip and fall. The elevators were questionable. It bounced and I did not feel safe riding them. The hallways smelled mildewy and my bedroom had a stale order. The skirt on my bed was ripped/torn. The refrigerator was old and I would not put anything in there if my life depended on it.

My best friend had an asthma attack as soon as she entered the room because of the dust build up there. The staff tried to appease us, but to no avail because that hotel should be rebuilt from the ground up. The furniture was marked up and old looking.

My best friend and I could not stay at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West because of her dust allergies. I requested and received a refund by writing a letter to the Better Business Bureau of Richmond.

I wish that I would have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel across the street. I walked into the Courtyard to see if any rooms were available, but there was a marathon this weekend and all the area hotels were booked solid. My friend and I ended up driving back home, because we had no place to stay. We were so inconvenienced.

I usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott whenever I travel, but I wanted to try something different for this trip...and look where it got me. Empty handed!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank classyjwb
Reviewed November 19, 2006

This hotel isn't up to the Crowne Plaza name. It needs a major renovation. The halls are dark and mildewy and the elevator is almost scary. I thought the room was warm when I arrived. After a couple of hours, it didn't get better. I called maintenance and they finally came and got it working again, but it quit again at 1am. The maintenance guy told me they can't hardly keep the units running anymore. And, the walls are VERY thin. You could hear everything going on near you. Also, they didn't even have bottles of water in the room (even for a charge). I don't remember the last Crowne Plaza I stayed in that didn't have water available for purchase. I had to go to the hotel bar and pay $5 for a tiny bottle of water. I wouldn't stay here again. Try the Marriott Courtyard right across the street.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank Julie513
Reviewed August 4, 2006

On the way back to Georgia from New York, we decided to have a “pit stop” in Richmond, VA. We checked on Tripadvisor and found this hotel had a lot of good reviews. In addition, this hotel’s own web site offers better deals than the internet prices, so we booked it for one night for a 2 bed-room. We arrived at the hotel around 10:00 PM and checked in our room on the 8th floor. We were pleasantly surprised by the NEW furniture, bedding and nicely detailed decorations throughout the room and beyond. This room can be found in Hilton or Marriott if the bathroom has a phone and the air conditioner is operated by a central air system. The other thing we found is that the restaurant was empty during breakfast time due to the prices they charge. This might be caused by a great breakfast place across the street, which offers “Grand Slam” and “Junior Grand Slam” that made my younger (3 years old) boy's stomach looked like a balloon. The hotel should consider offering free continental breakfast. We do agree with the last reviewer that the address of this hotel was odd, which couldn’t be located by our navigation system after we entered as it is listed (our car is brand new). So we called the hotel to get directions. The vending machines, ice machine, free high speed internet, and pool were all operative. They even have a laundry room.

For less than $100/night, we will definitely consider it again and recommend to anyone who is not looking under the bed for hairs.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Steve88
Reviewed August 2, 2006

This hotel if very difficult to get in to from Broad Street (or any street). A very busy street with a divider in the middle. allowing entrance only from one direction and as the back entrance is gated off, if you are going the wrong direction, you must drive about a quarter mile, get turned around and then return to the hotel entrance
I was very pleased and surprised with my first impression. The price of 80.10 was very reasonable for such a lovely hotel. As our stay wore on, you could see that all was not clean. I had no luck finding any ice machine or vending machine that worked. There was quite a bit of black curly hair on the bathroom floor-not visible until the door was closed. None of my party had black hair. I dropped something and looked under the bed to get it and there was a lot of dust piled up. If it did not show, I think it did not get cleaned.
That night the fire alarm went off about 12:00. A couple of hundred of us filed out. The crowd was a well over average age as the hotel was hosting the Lady Lions Club. I found it strange that in the 45 minutes we were all outside, with three fire engines at the front door, no one from the hotel attempted to reassure, give information, or just be visible to the guests. Finaly a security guard walked through the crowd calling to us to return to our rooms. And that was that.

The next day, we did some siteseeing and picked up our children at the airport. Returning to the room at 4:30, our room had not been cleaned and so we had to leave again. (Hair still there after it was cleaned)

As we left the next day, the door to one of the cleaning supply rooms was open--my son told me to look at how filthy it was. Clean bedding laying on the dusty floor, etc. It was not horrible, just not good. Why stay there when you know you can find a cleaner place.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank sue1426
Reviewed July 8, 2006

I only live about an hour from Richmond, so we do not necessarily stay overnight there very often. However, my son was having surgery the next morning and I wanted to stay at a hotel that was close to St. Mary's Hospital. The hospital recommended this Crowne Plaza, and even though I was a bit leery after having gone to the Crowne Plaza in Williamsburg in March (it was horrible!) I went with it. I am SO glad I did. I drove up in Thunderstorm with a child, and found a wonderful parking spot, then I checked in (very quickly--those of you with children appreciate the speed of a quick front desk clerk). The lobby was lovely, and very clean. The elevators were very clean, too. Its' the little things that help. My room was larger than average with a sofa and chair. Nice television channel selection, the bathroom was lovely, the toiletries were nice, and my son just loved it with that six year old enthusiasm. I had delicious room service--totally delicious! It was fantastic! They were very attentive, and so nice. I will stay here again--without question.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business