Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$89
Omni Richmond Hotel(Richmond)
$171
$161
$107
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in April while attending a science fiction convention. This is a very nice hotel, the staff was very responsive to my request for a room on a quiet floor. The room was very spacious and quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel is very expensive. I ate lunch in the restaurant, my food was delicious. Unfortunately, the convention will be held at another hotel next year. If I have the opportunity to visit Richmond in the future, I will definitely stay at this hotel again!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
CrowneRichmond, Management at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We too are sad that your convention has outgrown our hotel.

It is always appreciated when someone takes the time to write a good review since unfortunately, many times we only take time to report concerns.

Thank you for your time and patronage!

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for about 2 months. I would have gone elsewhere after the first week if it had not been for the excellent discount, which was arranged through my company. The hotel common areas were clean and quiet with the exception of the elevator doors that bang together loudly.
My room was of average size. The décor mirrored that of Holiday Inn. Carpet and wallpaper were stained and dirty. The towels and bed linens were clean and fresh. The maids do an excellent job of making a tight bed. My biggest complaint with all the rooms I have stayed in of the IHG chain is that the desk is to high for the chair supplied. The room did not have a refrigerator or microwave, which is commonly found in other IHG hotels. Also there is no couch or hide-a-bed but simply a chair and ottoman. The bi-fold doors on the 3’X3’ closet and front to back arrangement of the 18” clothes rod made access difficult. Loose connections on the back of the 25” tube type TV require you to adjust wires to get a clear signal. My third floor room had a beautiful view of the air conditioning units on top of the ballroom.
The hotel has one of the largest ballrooms in the area. Large gatherings occur 4-5 nights a week creating tight parking between 7 and 10 PM. Expect to walk 80 yards to and from your car if you leave to go out to dinner.
The hotel offers complementary continental breakfast to platinum Priority Club members. This consists of cereal, pastries, yogurt, and fresh fruit. Orange juice is available upon request. A hot items buffet is offered when the hotel has more than a certain number of guests; about twice a week. It consists of scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, and biscuits with gravy. The hot items buffet and other menu items are not complementary. An evening beverage or appetizer, also not included. I have honestly had better free meals at Econo-Lodge, Micro-Tel and Motel 6. One waiter took an attitude with me one morning when I grabbed a plum and yogurt to go. I think no more need be said.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank waterscientist
CrowneRichmond, Management at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2009

Dear Valued Platinum Member,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your lengthy stay with our property. As you stated, due to your companies continued support of our hotel hosting their guests, we do offer a valuable discount. This however, does not change the amenities we provide. We do offer an additional perk for Platinum guests only, regardless of your negotiated rate.

Since we are a full service hotel, we do not offer complimentary breakfast to any guests other than Platinum status guests. I assure you we will review what we offer and take your comments in to serious consideration.

We do not have refrigerators and microwaves in our guest rooms, however, we can make them available upon request. If you return for business, please be sure to make us aware of your needs so we can make your stay more comfortable.

The location of your room can also be changed. We have been requested by your company to place their guests on the far end of the hotel. It is ultimately your choice though, so in the future let us know if you would like to be located closer to the main reception area.

In closing, I hope I have addressed some of your concerns. Any additional comments are welcomed and we do hope to have you return so that we may better serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2009

My husband and I attended a wedding in town and booked a room here as the wedding party was staying in the hotel and the reception was there. When we got to the room, it was horrible. The ceiling of the room appeared as though it would cave in any moment. The bathroom as well, and the ceiling over the tub appeared to be molded. The room was humid and felt wet, even though we had the air conditioner on. I assume this room had been damaged at one point in time, maybe a tree or something fell through it since it was on the top floor and they tried to repair it, but they did a horrible job. We asked for another room but they were booked for the night so we were able to change rooms the next day. The room we were changed to was much better.

The food was not good either. It was cold and hard. For 100 bucks a night, I would expect a little more . Also, they do not cash traveller's cheques. The only decent point was the decent customer service. I should have went with my original thought and booked at the Westin across the street, which was the same price at the time. I would not recommend unless they are offering nightly rates of 50-60 bucks a night.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MSJet_Setter1

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We do depend on our guests to offer us valued comments and suggestions so that we can continue to provide the service and product you expect.

I want to assure you that we have begun adressing all of your concerns.

Reviewed July 25, 2009

i have stayed in this hotel a few weeks ago for a weekend, my trip was ok at begining but second day i had noise problem in my room at third floor, when i went and ask to front desk about room change, the guy at front desk told me directly `` can i ask why`` with a ignoring attitude and without looking at my face, even after i explained my situation second time he asked if i am SERIOUS with him,(with a smiling and ignoring face) and he suggest me to go back my room and wait for same noise and than he could help me, he told... when i told him that i want to talk to manager he said that he is front office manager, this surprised me even more, this is unbelievable for such a popular hotel, it was my first time at crowne plaza and i think it will be last time, i dont think anyone would like to pay that amount of money to be treated like stay there as free of charge, by the way my noise problem carried on but i didnt want to go and talk to same man again,,,,, if you are planning to trip to richmond make sure you choose right place, not somewhere you are insulted by manager.... hope this helps you guys,,,,

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2009

This hotel is a little old to look at but honestly its quality of services far exceed the reviews that I read before I decided to stay at this hotel. The staff is excellent and I was made to feel right at home as soon as I walked through the door. Though they just have one food outlet, their multi-cuisine menu makes up for not having many. I especially liked their breakfast spread. Quite a steal for the price. Rooms are exactly what you expect from a three star hotel. It has almost everything that you would need for a comfortable stay. The best part is complimentary wireless highspeed internet !! But as an independent traveller and mystry shopper, I would say that I think this hotel would be a great choice if you are visiting Richmond on a budget. The prices are rightly set and the value for money is immediately visible. Hope I have been able to help.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mystryshopper