“recent stay”

Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
“recent stay”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Upon driving into your parking lot, the place looked abandon and was kinda sketchy about staying there.. also the advertised lounge, indoor pool and spa were all closed for repair per the front desk people..so we were pretty disappointed with that fact.. I had told the Expedia agent I had stayed there years ago when it was a holiday inn and asked her to verify they still had a lounge and she did check for me and confirmed they still had a lounge..
First I'd like to say your staff was very friendly ..They really went out of their way to be helpful!
Our first room, the heat did not work, so the front deck person escorted us to another room and called when she went back to the front desk to make sure all was ok with the new room. ..the wall paper was pealing, and the furniture and tv were old style with limited number of channels , but functional and comfortable. again, I would say it was just below average for what I am use to staying in, but friendly and nice
..(bathroom fan and heater fan both were very noisy, I actually got up in the middle of the night and turn the heat off.)

Room Tip: I would call the front desk to make sure everything is working before reserving a room there
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank sterling S
Mgmt-GuestServices, Front Office Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to accommodate you on your visit to Richmond. I am glad to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you received the personal service you did receive from our front desk agent. I do apologize however for the pool and lounge. We are recently under new management and some improvements needed to be made. The lounge and the pool were in that list so we can ensure that we provide the full exceptional experience when you visit us. We have a new management team that is dedicated to giving the full experience from the time you enter the parking lot until the time you check out. Thank you again for your candid survey and keep us in mind when you come back to Richmond because Change Is Coming!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed at the Richmond Magnuson last weekend on a business trip. The room was very nice and comfortable. The rates were reasonable. I had to go to another hotel for a conference And since it was a short distance away no taxi wanted to take me. The manager offered for one of their employees to drive me there. That meant a lot to me. Looking forward to staying there again.
Neila Gobin

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mgmt-GuestServices, Director of Sales at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank for your choosing Richmond Magnuson Grand (RMG) because there were so many other places to choose here in Richmond. We have currently hired to great people ... our Front Office Manager and Sales Manager. They are both dedicated to enhancing the full guest experience from check-in to check-out, so thank you for noticing the change and posting your review. We hope to see you next time you in the Richmond area. Change is Coming!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'm sorry to be writing this review because the people at the front desk were very nice, but the second I went into my hotel room I saw a HUGE live bug clinging to the curtains - I killed it and then put my suitcase in the bathtub because the room looked dirty and the carpet was stained. I found ANOTHER bug on the shower wall and killed it. I pulled back the covers on the bed and saw people's hair (not mine) and something else that was stuck to the sheets that I couldn't identify (old noodle??). Under the mattress was an abundance of crumbles of food/nut shells/candy wrappers from previous guests. I was so disgusted I slept in my clothes and used my jacket for a pillow (contemplated sleeping in the bathtub but it didn't look any cleaner), didn't even take a shower in the morning, and washed everything the second I got home just in case any bugs from the Magnuson hotel decided to hop a ride home with me. Nothing in this hotel was clean. There were only a few cars in the parking lot of the HUGE hotel, so that should have been a clue that something was amiss. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future the hotel was closed down due to inspection. I did not even contemplate eating the complimentary breakfast. Again, I'm sorry to write this because the people at the front desk were nice but I feel a need to warn others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Simone S
First, we do appreciate you choosing us and giving us the opportunity. I do apologize for the cleanliness of the room. That is definitely unacceptable. We have hired a new Front Office Manager who is keen on quality and cleanliness. He has hired some great housekeepers, so we know that changes are being made. We also have regularly scheduled pest control services to control those issues. If you were to stay with us again, I guarantee a different experience. If you are in the Richmond area, consider giving us a 2nd chance to provide the quality you deserve. Change has Come!

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel is horrible! Run down, mold and mildew in rooms and hallways, no certificates in elevators, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. Hallways have no air conditioning. Rooms are old and dirty. We had an event there and we're told the day we showed up for the event by the owner, that the air conditioning for the ballroom was not working because thieves just stole the unit from the roof! Total BS. We were told by employee's that it hasn't worked in many months. Owner pretends to be different managers when we talked to him prior to the event. Very shady and a total liar. Do NOT go to this hotel, the worst experience ever!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank picaso32
Thank you for your choosing us to host your event, and posting your review. We don't know what things we need to change unless we hear from our guests, so thank you. I do, however, apologize for your experience here at Richmond Magnuson Grand. We have made some changes since your experience. The General Manager had taken on too many hats. He has now hired a Front Office Manager dedicated to quality, and a Sales Manager committed to providing for the full service experience from a single guest to all groups. We have tackled those maintenance issues with an experienced hotel engineer. Once again, thank you for letting us know what changes we needed to make to provide our future guests a better experience. Change is Here!
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We came here based on reviews and the pictures on the hotel website. 1) Grand is a misleading title. We must have been booked in the rooms where pictures weren't taken. 2) Our room was very dated, poor water pressure in shower and very noisy air conditioner. 3) interior of elevators were in desperate need of a cleaning and our floor's hallway smelled damp and also in need of a deep carpet shampooing. There must be a special set of rooms where those that wrote better reviews stayed. 4) Front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Ed G
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Ed G,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel.Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Clean rooms and bathrooms, fabulous price, hotel is centrally located to everything. Front desk staff members were very nice. All things considered, a delightful weekend in Richmond. We didn't use the pool, so we can't comment. A good value for the price!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

stayed here 3 times in the past few months. staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were
clean, and the hotel is located close to stores and restaurants. It also as a pool and hot tub
which is great for bringing your family and kids to enjoy while away at work. I had a issue with the
cable but as soon as i called down to the front desk the staff had it taken care of right away
so i have no complaints and i would recommend anyone to stay here

Room Tip: I would recommend sleeping on the 5th floor, not alot of noise and very quite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jahari m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
#49 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
WoodSpring Suites Richmond West
Best Western Executive Hotel
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!