“Charged twice for guest room. Calls and emails ignored”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond, Virginia
“Charged twice for guest room. Calls and emails ignored”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had an event here, with an included guest room as part of the event. They STILL charged us, as well as our guest. It took MONTHS of emails and telephone calls to be refunded the $126 we were charged twice for (we had a signed contract for the first time). I had to go in person to finally get the refund, where I was cussed out by the general manager. I am not kidding. THE WORST. EVER!

Room Tip: They say they are smoke free, but the Marquee says they have both smoking AND pet rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bcarreras
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear bcarreras.

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Herndon, VA
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was, by far, the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Granted, it was probably cleaner and perhaps safer than some of the motels and hostels I've stayed in in my time, but the overall experience could not have been worse.

The worst part was that upon checkout, I left a pair of earrings in the bathroom. Within one hour, I realized and called the hotel but they had already been stolen.

All of the complaints below were addressed directly with general manager, Mr. Patel, who did nothing but offer me a room switch (which would not have solved half the issues).

1. I called before booking to ask about breakfast. I was assured that a hot breakfast was including with the cost of the room. Actually, it is a cold breakfast and costs $6 per person.

2. However, because the TVs had been "broken" (or not paid for?) since at least Aug. 18, according to other reviews, a hot "breakfast" was included. The breakfast was not appetizing. We ate breakfast out each morning. The TVs were "broken" the entire length of our stay.

3. When I checked in, the air conditioning was not on (it was above 90F outside) and the room was sweltering. I had to turn the AC on and spend 3 hours outside the room before I could comfortably stay in.

4. The toilet ran the entire time we were there. Loudly.

5. The elevator trapped me inside. I found out later that you have to push extremely hard for several of the buttons to work.

6. The WiFi did not connect. I tried on 4 separate devices from both the lobby and my room.

7. My phone was broken in my room.

8. There were exposed outlets in my room. I have pictures, which I showed to Mr. Patel. He did not seem to worry about it.

9. Zero of the three treadmills in the fitness area worked. And the thermostat was set to 79 in there.

10. When I called and reported my earrings missing, Mr. Patel flat out refused to speak with me. One of the people I spoke with on the phone told me that he would leave a message with Mr. Patel but that "he would never call me back." This person was the only one who attempted to help me and I can't help but assume he knows something about the whereabouts of my earrings. Three days after the incident he no longer works at the Magnuson. I reported the earrings to the hotel and Mr. Patel lied to the police who visited the establishment, claiming he'd never heard of me when in fact I spoke directly with him and he supposedly talked to the housekeeper responsible for my room as well as the housekeeping manager when I called about my earrings the first time.

The following issues were not discussed with Mr. Patel at the time of my stay but I believe are relevant:

A) The pool/hot tub area was dirty and dangerous. There were puddles of standing water that did not get cleaned up the entire length of my stay.

B) There were condoms and trash in the stairwells (which we took up and down to the 4th floor every day for fear of getting trapped in the elevator again).

C) The parking lot is cracked and full of weeds.

D) I got several bug bites during my stay. I did not spend a significant amount of time outside, but it is impossible for me to prove that I got them at the hotel. Nor am I sure whether they are bedbugs, mosquitos, fleas, or something else completely.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
4 Thank Jennie W
Dear Jennie,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fortunately I only stayed there one night. When I reserved the room was quoted a price actually a little lower than one stated on a line dance festival flyer, but upon checking in the price was $14 higher. Clerk assured us would be straighten out before actually billed to my credit card. The price quoted was suppose to include the breakfast buffet, but I was also charge double the fee for one person in the room. My room was clean and sufficient, but the breakfast buffet was not plentiful or staffed to serve a large group. The airconditioning was not working in one of the ballrooms or halls. The hotel was rundown and I would strongly discourage anyone for using it for a convention. When I did received my credit card bill, discovered was charged additional $10 !! Called assuming they would adjust the bill, but only got a rude man that said hotels can charge an additional $50 for incidentials (?)

2 Thank shopperinva
Dear shopperinva,

Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I had a confirmed reservation and reservation number from the hotel via email with a rate per day. When I got to the hotel I was told they would NOT honor the rate THEY had confirmed to me. I was told I could talk with the Manager about it, however the manager was NEVER available. They charged me $14 more per night than my confirmed reservation amount. I wrote the manager a detailed letter requesting a refund of the overcharged amount and I also phoned after two weeks (to give him a chance to credit my card) to talk with him. He did not respond to my letter or my phone call. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Richmond regarding this matter.

NOW on to the quality of the hotel. It was dismal! My room's shower drain was so clogged with disgusting stuff it wouldn't drain (yes I was standing in inches deep water when I showered the first time.) I was told they couldn't get anyone to my room to clean it up so they gave me a key to a room down the hall where I could shower. (Let me say the front desk staff were very nice and tried to be helpful and this was the only solution they could come up with--so I accepted it.) A little odd to go 'down the hall' to shower in the morning, but at least that shower drained. NEXT the air conditioning unit in my room was so loud it was impossible to sleep. AND...the whole hotel has a funny odor--like maybe they've had water/mildew/mold problems. IN ADDITION, the elevators were awful. A number of them weren't working at different times, NONE of the ones I used had those safety inspection notices (I know at least one person got 'stuck' on an elevator that weekend). LASTLY The 'free included hot buffet breakfast' and I write 'hot and buffet' tongue in cheek, was pitiful. Cold eggs, stale bread...yuck! Even though breakfast was 'included' I went out to eat breakfast one day just to get a decent meal.

One good note, I will say the front desk staff were kind and apologetic, but they really couldn't solve any of the issues.

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again and would STRONGLY encourage anyone considering a stay there to seriously re-evaluate.

5 Thank Jackee K
Dear Jackee K,

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I'm going to try to be nice, only because some of the people here are very nice. At first entry the hotel looks modern and the room is quite clean and comfortable. That should be enough for some people. The staff are well trained and very pleasant. Here's the thing: This hotel has recently been bought by private owners who, by all opinions I've heard, can't afford it. This is a big convention hotel that used to be the Crown Plaza. At first blush I should have been skeptical. The sign out front on one side welcomes the line dancing festival of Virginia. On the other side it promotes "smoking pet rooms" (WTW?). Also the back parking lot appears to have been victim of a nuclear holocaust. Still the people and the room is nice so I forge on. I should tell you that I'm staying here for several weeks while my house is renovated so this is not an inexperienced observation. Day four of my stay, the Direct TV goes out and remains out at the time of this writing. Some rather out spoken breakfast companions confirmed my opinion that the bill has not been paid. There were no weather events to cause it and what company with competitors lets their service be down in a hotel for multiple days? On inquiry we've received various reasons and finally they just offer a discount. Breakfast is always interesting. They move it around daily and seem to offer whatever they have found on final clearance at the super market. The most troubling things have been the presumed owners. The man walks around policing the place to ensure that no one abuses the paltry offerings. The woman screams at the poor employee who has to lay out the mere morsels they provide. Today there was a well fed cockroach feasting in the middle of the floor on some spilled catchup. For reasons that defy logic they offer periodically hard boiled eggs or scrambled egg whites. The tried and true regular scrambled eggs are never on the menu. Be prepared to be surprised! Then there is the pool. As my s/o put it: If there insurance company finds out about this, they are in trouble. The ladder is loose. The hot tub is more of a vat with holes and two jets that work. I here the treadmills don't work, but I haven't first hand tried them. Oh and the wireless, There are about seven different connections all that offer at most two bars of strength, I better end this before it cuts me off. Have fun.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fanSXM
Dear fanSXM,

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Overall it was ok just to sleep in. However I will not do it again. Weird smell throughout almost smelled like a combo of curry and body odor. We had a king room and bed wasnt comfortable and there was no fridge in the room. There was also advertised free breakfast but there was none. Floors were not cleaned throughout hotel. No Ac in halls or elevators. Enter at your own risk.

• Stayed August 2013