Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Omni Richmond Hotel(Richmond)
$187
$161
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is much better from my experience of three night stay than some reviews would lead you to believe. However, the hotel is tired and needs freshening up. My room was clean and comfortable. But it felt as tho' this was a lower grade hotel where they had simply added a few items to class it as a Crowne Plaza hotel. Certainly disappointing compared to any other Crowne Plaza I have stayed in. Oh....if communications are important, television badly needs updating and advertised hi speed internet crawls along at below 1mb, had to go out to coffee shop to download. Conclusion, if you can get a good price it might be worth staying otherwise I suggest you look elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear sas600,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am happy to know that you found our room accommodations good enough for your stay. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the television and Internet connection not working as expected. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West 1 night on 9/14/2012. Well the front desk manager was nice, but that's as good as it gets. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor and advised to use the elevators at the 2nd entrance. Upon walking , it was apparent this hotel was in need of an overhaul. The elevators were literally scary going up to the room , I felt like they were going to get stuck at any moment. Upon getting off the elevator, the corridors were very dated , and the the doors to the rooms were scratched , in need of cosmetic makeover. The room was large and spacious , but no flat screen tv, dust on the nightstand, old worn out carpet, cracked sink in the bathroom , a shower that needed to be replaced. This property at one point in time I am sure was nice, but it needs to be completely overhauled to bring it up to date with todays standards of what a crown plaza should be. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the area i recommend the westin a block away , or the courtyard across the street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bking406
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear bking406,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted to know that you appreciate the front desk manager and the quality of service provided. On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced over the elevator and some of the room amenities. Thank you for bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here as part of a pretty large bus group for the Richmond race. That said it should be noted that I can't speak for the "value" of the hotel, as the room was booked by and paid for by the bus company.

As the race got over late, we arrived around 2am, and the night staff had everything ready for us, however only the bus driver seemed to matter for them to greet as we walked into the hotel as myself and other members of the group walked by the front desk without a single welcoming message from the staff. Sure, the bus driver represents the company that paid for these rooms, but I suggest hotel management tells their staff that each passenger on a bus group represents an opportunity to impress or future business. We all have real life jobs and could just represent a company/account you would like to have. Or we just simply be someone who's not afraid to post TripAdvisor reviews.

After waiting for the awful elevators for a long time, several of us decided to simply use the stairs to get to our rooms. When I read the other reviews here before the trip to get an idea on what to expect, I thought "how bad can the elevators really be?" They are really that bad. Wow.

The room itself is older but pretty good. The size was pretty nice, but there were hairs in the shower stall. Nothing big, but after training the front desk to welcome bus passengers, perhaps tell the housekeepers to look to their right and up near the top of the shower stall. On the positive side, I would have been impressed by the number of electrical outlets in the room. Some hotels just don't get it, but this hotel would be good in that regard for a business traveler who was bringing a lot of equipment with them.

The breakfast was pretty good though pretty standard.

I could stay here again, but if in the area again, I will probably pursue other options.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kristen2514
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear kristen2514,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very friendly front desk manager was only bright spot of this stay. Carpets are dirty throughout this large and mostly empty facility. Not only are they dirty because they need a real cleaning, they don't even appear to have been regularly vacuumed. Upholstery stained and dirty in my room. Solicitous front desk manager up-graded me at check-in to a suite. Unfortunately, it appears a suite only means extra of the same run-down space. No consierge lounge at the facility. Got a free breakfast buffett coupon at check-in -- problem is they don't have a breakfast buffett. Sorry no buffett, but yes you could order a free breakfast. I just didn't have the time. One major virtue of the buffett for me is I don't have to wait 10 to 20 mins for my food. I can eat and leave in less time than I can give you my order. If staying in Richmond you ought to be able to fine a better place.

Room Tip: Check around for another lodging facility
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
rpeters69, General Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Jordan C,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West during a recent visit to Richmond. All I can say, is that this is not an example of a typical Crowne Plaza Hotel. The front desk staff was nice enough, but that is about all the good I can say for this hotel. The carpet throughout the hotel is stained and looks awful. My room was very dark and smelled like an ash tray. The A/C was set as low as it would go (65 degrees). However, it felt like it never got below 80 degrees in the room. The worst thing by far had to be that the comforters on both beds had blood stains on them. This is completely unacceptable in a supposed Crowne Plaza Hotel. The bathroom had paint chips coming off the ceiling and the shower curtain had stains all over it. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. This place needs a lot of work.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends