“Crowne Plaza Richmond West”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Raleigh
“Crowne Plaza Richmond West”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West 1 night on 9/14/2012. Well the front desk manager was nice, but that's as good as it gets. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor and advised to use the elevators at the 2nd entrance. Upon walking , it was apparent this hotel was in need of an overhaul. The elevators were literally scary going up to the room , I felt like they were going to get stuck at any moment. Upon getting off the elevator, the corridors were very dated , and the the doors to the rooms were scratched , in need of cosmetic makeover. The room was large and spacious , but no flat screen tv, dust on the nightstand, old worn out carpet, cracked sink in the bathroom , a shower that needed to be replaced. This property at one point in time I am sure was nice, but it needs to be completely overhauled to bring it up to date with todays standards of what a crown plaza should be. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the area i recommend the westin a block away , or the courtyard across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bking406
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear bking406,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted to know that you appreciate the front desk manager and the quality of service provided. On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced over the elevator and some of the room amenities. Thank you for bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Hempstead, NY
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here as part of a pretty large bus group for the Richmond race. That said it should be noted that I can't speak for the "value" of the hotel, as the room was booked by and paid for by the bus company.

As the race got over late, we arrived around 2am, and the night staff had everything ready for us, however only the bus driver seemed to matter for them to greet as we walked into the hotel as myself and other members of the group walked by the front desk without a single welcoming message from the staff. Sure, the bus driver represents the company that paid for these rooms, but I suggest hotel management tells their staff that each passenger on a bus group represents an opportunity to impress or future business. We all have real life jobs and could just represent a company/account you would like to have. Or we just simply be someone who's not afraid to post TripAdvisor reviews.

After waiting for the awful elevators for a long time, several of us decided to simply use the stairs to get to our rooms. When I read the other reviews here before the trip to get an idea on what to expect, I thought "how bad can the elevators really be?" They are really that bad. Wow.

The room itself is older but pretty good. The size was pretty nice, but there were hairs in the shower stall. Nothing big, but after training the front desk to welcome bus passengers, perhaps tell the housekeepers to look to their right and up near the top of the shower stall. On the positive side, I would have been impressed by the number of electrical outlets in the room. Some hotels just don't get it, but this hotel would be good in that regard for a business traveler who was bringing a lot of equipment with them.

The breakfast was pretty good though pretty standard.

I could stay here again, but if in the area again, I will probably pursue other options.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kristen2514
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear kristen2514,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very friendly front desk manager was only bright spot of this stay. Carpets are dirty throughout this large and mostly empty facility. Not only are they dirty because they need a real cleaning, they don't even appear to have been regularly vacuumed. Upholstery stained and dirty in my room. Solicitous front desk manager up-graded me at check-in to a suite. Unfortunately, it appears a suite only means extra of the same run-down space. No consierge lounge at the facility. Got a free breakfast buffett coupon at check-in -- problem is they don't have a breakfast buffett. Sorry no buffett, but yes you could order a free breakfast. I just didn't have the time. One major virtue of the buffett for me is I don't have to wait 10 to 20 mins for my food. I can eat and leave in less time than I can give you my order. If staying in Richmond you ought to be able to fine a better place.

Room Tip: Check around for another lodging facility
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
rpeters69, General Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Jordan C,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Salem, Virginia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West during a recent visit to Richmond. All I can say, is that this is not an example of a typical Crowne Plaza Hotel. The front desk staff was nice enough, but that is about all the good I can say for this hotel. The carpet throughout the hotel is stained and looks awful. My room was very dark and smelled like an ash tray. The A/C was set as low as it would go (65 degrees). However, it felt like it never got below 80 degrees in the room. The worst thing by far had to be that the comforters on both beds had blood stains on them. This is completely unacceptable in a supposed Crowne Plaza Hotel. The bathroom had paint chips coming off the ceiling and the shower curtain had stains all over it. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. This place needs a lot of work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Elkton, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The positive. Desk clerks were friendly and welcoming both on arrival and departure. Housekeeping staff helpful and polite. Beds were made with very nice linens, and 4 very fluffy pillows. Individual thermostat, AC worked very well. Bedroom area well cleaned and maintained.

The negatives. On check in, requested a room with a fridge, was told, no rooms available with one, but one could be added for 10$ a night, on a 3 night stay.. no thanks. Thankfully we brought a cooler with us and there was an ice machine close to the room. The bathroom was a disaster in this room, I wish I had brought a camera. Peeling ceiling, lint all over ceiling were the vent blows out, the shower curtain rod not properly installed, curtain will not stay shut so the floor gets wet, shower walls obviously need a good scrubbing with a degreaser, the toilet tank lid does not properly fit, so when you sit it moves, to flush you have to hold down the handle, by the time we left our family had a joke about how long you had to hold the handle to get the toilet to flush. Some really bad patching on the wall behind the toilet, which will only get worse until the curtain is fixed. Room was tiny, 2 double beds and you could not fit a roll away in there if you tried. Closet only big enough to hang a few shirts and pants. The indoor pool, fairly big and 3-8 feet deep I did like that, except.... the floor around the pool in desperate need of pressure washing or even a good deck brush.. ring around the pool yuck (needs a good scrub)... water strong of chlorine (thankful for that even though it irritated our eyes) kids did enjoy the pool. The spa/hot tub YUCK!!!! First night a little cloudy, second looked like a tub of pee, could not even see the steps. GROSS!! Day 3 looked better but still not anything anyone would want to enjoy. Also in need of a very good scrub. The elevators are the worst I have ever been in.

No coffee, no breakfast, over priced room service... Restaurant closed early one night, husband was very upset about that. Location is not great either. I would not stay here again. I have stayed in some hotels with bad reviews before, and a lot of times have felt people were nit picking.. Not in this case. Spend a little more or a little less and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Katie B,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and providing feedback. I'm delighted you were pleased with our clean bedrooms, pillows and helpful front desk staff as we pride ourselves in excellent customer service. However, please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary service in some aspects of our hotel features. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the condition of the bathroom, pool, elevator and services received at the restaurant. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Not a good choice. Main problem is the nickel and diming for everything other than the room. Fridge and microwave? Extra. Breakfast? Extra. Special amenities? Nope. Nothing special about this place at all. Will be aware of this place if I return. Book something else and save your disappointment

• Stayed August 2012
Whitehouse, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here one night with family on the way home from a road trip. We booked through Hotwire at a discount and I still felt ripped off. The hotel looks nice enough from the outside and the lobby was nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and checked us in quickly.

Hallway was dirty and dimly lit. The hallway carpets are gross and the elevator was old. Our room I noticed an odd smell. Not mildew but maybe just a general smell of dinginess. Thank god the bathroom and overall cleanliness of the beds were ok and relatively comfortable. Again the carpet was heavily stained. We tried the pool which was cold and dingy. The area around it had plenty of chairs and supplied their own towels, but something told me not to put my head under water. Water puddled all around the pool making it very slippery. Despite the Hotwire discount, I still feel like we overpaid and think they misrepresented the hotel as 3 stars.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear fallaly,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I appreciate the compliment towards the staff and the level of service provided. I'm also delighted you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the bathroom and the beds. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the shortcomings you had experienced during your stay and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
#51 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
WoodSpring Suites Richmond West
Best Western Executive Hotel
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!