“Not Recommended, the reviews are correct.”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The positive. Desk clerks were friendly and welcoming both on arrival and departure. Housekeeping staff helpful and polite. Beds were made with very nice linens, and 4 very fluffy pillows. Individual thermostat, AC worked very well. Bedroom area well cleaned and maintained.

The negatives. On check in, requested a room with a fridge, was told, no rooms available with one, but one could be added for 10$ a night, on a 3 night stay.. no thanks. Thankfully we brought a cooler with us and there was an ice machine close to the room. The bathroom was a disaster in this room, I wish I had brought a camera. Peeling ceiling, lint all over ceiling were the vent blows out, the shower curtain rod not properly installed, curtain will not stay shut so the floor gets wet, shower walls obviously need a good scrubbing with a degreaser, the toilet tank lid does not properly fit, so when you sit it moves, to flush you have to hold down the handle, by the time we left our family had a joke about how long you had to hold the handle to get the toilet to flush. Some really bad patching on the wall behind the toilet, which will only get worse until the curtain is fixed. Room was tiny, 2 double beds and you could not fit a roll away in there if you tried. Closet only big enough to hang a few shirts and pants. The indoor pool, fairly big and 3-8 feet deep I did like that, except.... the floor around the pool in desperate need of pressure washing or even a good deck brush.. ring around the pool yuck (needs a good scrub)... water strong of chlorine (thankful for that even though it irritated our eyes) kids did enjoy the pool. The spa/hot tub YUCK!!!! First night a little cloudy, second looked like a tub of pee, could not even see the steps. GROSS!! Day 3 looked better but still not anything anyone would want to enjoy. Also in need of a very good scrub. The elevators are the worst I have ever been in.

No coffee, no breakfast, over priced room service... Restaurant closed early one night, husband was very upset about that. Location is not great either. I would not stay here again. I have stayed in some hotels with bad reviews before, and a lot of times have felt people were nit picking.. Not in this case. Spend a little more or a little less and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Katie B,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and providing feedback. I'm delighted you were pleased with our clean bedrooms, pillows and helpful front desk staff as we pride ourselves in excellent customer service. However, please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary service in some aspects of our hotel features. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the condition of the bathroom, pool, elevator and services received at the restaurant. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Not a good choice. Main problem is the nickel and diming for everything other than the room. Fridge and microwave? Extra. Breakfast? Extra. Special amenities? Nope. Nothing special about this place at all. Will be aware of this place if I return. Book something else and save your disappointment

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here one night with family on the way home from a road trip. We booked through Hotwire at a discount and I still felt ripped off. The hotel looks nice enough from the outside and the lobby was nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and checked us in quickly.

Hallway was dirty and dimly lit. The hallway carpets are gross and the elevator was old. Our room I noticed an odd smell. Not mildew but maybe just a general smell of dinginess. Thank god the bathroom and overall cleanliness of the beds were ok and relatively comfortable. Again the carpet was heavily stained. We tried the pool which was cold and dingy. The area around it had plenty of chairs and supplied their own towels, but something told me not to put my head under water. Water puddled all around the pool making it very slippery. Despite the Hotwire discount, I still feel like we overpaid and think they misrepresented the hotel as 3 stars.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear fallaly,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I appreciate the compliment towards the staff and the level of service provided. I'm also delighted you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the bathroom and the beds. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the shortcomings you had experienced during your stay and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here one night while on the way home from a road trip. We booked through Hotwire at a discount and I still felt ripped off. The hotel looks nice enough from the outside and the lobby was nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and checked us in quickly. After this things went downhill quickly. The hallway carpets are gross and the elevator was scary and had a mysterious white smudge along the wall the entire stay.

Our room was mercifully only on the second floor. Again the hallway was dirty and dimly lit. Once in our room I noticed an odd smell. Not mildew but maybe just a general smell of dinginess. The beds were clean and relatively comfortable. Again the carpet was heavily stained. The ceiling in the bathroom was disintegrating and you couldn't have paid me to use the in-room coffee pot it was so nasty. The closet door was missing a knob and the only means of opening it was a sharp metal nail sticking out. The TV was ancient but functional. There was surprisingly a very nice CD/MP3/Radio Alarm clock. The a/c unit was very cold but the vent had an extraordinary amount of dust caked on. Yuck. All in all, I am glad we were only there for one night. Despite the Hotwire discount I still feel like we overpaid and think they misrepresented the hotel as 3 stars.

Room Tip: The best room you could get would be in a different hotel.

Dear xxmissvxx,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read our staff was able to deliver the best guest experience during your stay. I'm also delighted you found the CD/MP3/Radio Alarm clock as a nice touch. I'm sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not fully satisfied with the cleanliness of our hotel. I assure you that the comments and suggestions you've shared will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel met our needs and was adequate for the rest we needed. It's not fancy. The room was clean. Everything was in working order. The kids enjoyed the pool. I wished they had offered a complimentary breakfast like so many other hotels do. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and willing to help. I obtained this room through price line. We enjoyed the Botanical Gardens in Richmond which was close by.

Room Tip: We were in a room on the 4th floor on the elevator side of the hall. We chose to keep the curtains...
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was on a one night business trip with a meeting at the hotel. The hotel was older and dated with stained carpet and worn decor, but everything was comfortable and clean. There was a mini fridge in the room. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but it meet my needs for the night. I was disappointed that there was not better quality coffee and nothing more than instant cream packet. I like a hotel that has better in-room coffee service and opportunity to at least get a good cup of coffee in the lobby. There was no lobby coffee or included breakfast.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Cordial1,

We appreciate you taking time from your schedule to let us know about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West. I am pleased you found our hotel comfortable and clean. Please accept my apologies regarding our lack of better quality coffee service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the services we offer to our valued guests.

Lera M

Reviewed July 11, 2012

A great place was waiting after a long day's travel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business