“Desperately needs renovation and cleaning!”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Freehold, New Jersey
“Desperately needs renovation and cleaning!”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here one night while on the way home from a road trip. We booked through Hotwire at a discount and I still felt ripped off. The hotel looks nice enough from the outside and the lobby was nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and checked us in quickly. After this things went downhill quickly. The hallway carpets are gross and the elevator was scary and had a mysterious white smudge along the wall the entire stay.

Our room was mercifully only on the second floor. Again the hallway was dirty and dimly lit. Once in our room I noticed an odd smell. Not mildew but maybe just a general smell of dinginess. The beds were clean and relatively comfortable. Again the carpet was heavily stained. The ceiling in the bathroom was disintegrating and you couldn't have paid me to use the in-room coffee pot it was so nasty. The closet door was missing a knob and the only means of opening it was a sharp metal nail sticking out. The TV was ancient but functional. There was surprisingly a very nice CD/MP3/Radio Alarm clock. The a/c unit was very cold but the vent had an extraordinary amount of dust caked on. Yuck. All in all, I am glad we were only there for one night. Despite the Hotwire discount I still feel like we overpaid and think they misrepresented the hotel as 3 stars.

Room Tip: The best room you could get would be in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear xxmissvxx,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read our staff was able to deliver the best guest experience during your stay. I'm also delighted you found the CD/MP3/Radio Alarm clock as a nice touch. I'm sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not fully satisfied with the cleanliness of our hotel. I assure you that the comments and suggestions you've shared will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel met our needs and was adequate for the rest we needed. It's not fancy. The room was clean. Everything was in working order. The kids enjoyed the pool. I wished they had offered a complimentary breakfast like so many other hotels do. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and willing to help. I obtained this room through price line. We enjoyed the Botanical Gardens in Richmond which was close by.

Room Tip: We were in a room on the 4th floor on the elevator side of the hall. We chose to keep the curtains...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was on a one night business trip with a meeting at the hotel. The hotel was older and dated with stained carpet and worn decor, but everything was comfortable and clean. There was a mini fridge in the room. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but it meet my needs for the night. I was disappointed that there was not better quality coffee and nothing more than instant cream packet. I like a hotel that has better in-room coffee service and opportunity to at least get a good cup of coffee in the lobby. There was no lobby coffee or included breakfast.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Cordial1,

We appreciate you taking time from your schedule to let us know about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West. I am pleased you found our hotel comfortable and clean. Please accept my apologies regarding our lack of better quality coffee service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the services we offer to our valued guests.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, Ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2012

A great place was waiting after a long day's travel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Staffs were very pleasant; our room was clean and comfortable. Hall ways looked tired and needs some updating. Generally this is an older hotel that is in need of a full renovation. You can tell that the staff are doing all they can to make feel welcomed and comfortable. We had a great deal online; check prices online first before you book!

Room Tip: Check prices online first before you book!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel is a dump. Checked in today and had to change rooms due to phone not working, body fluids on sheets on one of the beds. The hotel clerk was great and immediately moved us to another room. The sheets were clean in the next room but the beds looked like they were made up by a five year old. The closet door knob was barely hangi ng on and the air conditioner looked like it had not been cleaned in years. Also the carpet in the hallway is badly soiled and room service trays and dishes in the hallway looked like they had been there for days. We made this reservation with Hotwire and are very disappointed, never again. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the very nice staff!

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We probably saved about 50% booking with the Top Secret Hotel option of Travelocity.
The property itself is older, our room was quite comfortable and roomy and well furnished, however it is obvious that they are trying to dress the hotel up to meet Crowne Plaza standards.
The front desk staff was quite courteous with us and overall I have no complaints of this hotel.
However we got the hotel at a reduced price and therefore feel we got good value for our money, had I paid more I would not be so gratious for this property, which was sold to us as 3 1/2 stars which is probably about right, it is definitely not 4 star quality, as are the other Crowne Plaza hotels that I have stayed at.
So, my suggestion would be to use Travelocity Top Secret Hotel when booking (I see someone write a review and they got it throught Hotwire, which is the same idea). We paid about $60 for the evening for comparison sake to their regular rates which would have been double that plus taxes. Therefore they get 4 stars because of the value we got in our stay at the 50% reduced rate we paid. Don't pay full price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family