“great staff, very clean room”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed here one night on business. Was given a friendly welcome at check-in and I was in my room in minutes. This property does show some wear on the carpets, but the staff and overall cleanliness made up for any ageing things. Hotel pool and hot tub were spotless (I do like my hot tubbing after a long day on the road). Nicely appointed large room on the 4th floor. I did not experience any elevator delays as others have noted. Little bag of comfort items - eye mask, ear plugs and lavender spray was a nice touch. I did not use the in house restaurant and instead went to O'Charley's right up the road for a nice meal. Price was right, easy access off interstate make this a good choice for the business traveler.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Typical, but above-average 3-star. Convenient location. Only one complaint - the obsolete tube-type TV. Seriously, Crowne Plaza, I upgraded my TV 3 years ago, YOU'RE WAY OVERDUE!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wboehmer
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We traveled to Richmond for a sports competition at Uturn sports facility, which is a 7 minute drive from the hotel. The hotel is easy to miss but located close to the expressway by a Home Depot. The rooms are a reasonable size and clean although the sheets are thin and the furnishings are dark and rather worn. There is no refrigerator or microwave or vent in the bathroom. There is also no microwave elsewhere for public use. We were in a room with 2 beds which was ok to share with kids but rather small to share with an adult. The staff was friendly and there is a restaurant and indoor pool and gym. We did not eat in the restaurant (which was totally empty) but I ordered warm milk for the baby from room service and it cost $3.15 for about 8 ozs of milk. The vending machine sodas are $2 per can. I bid a ridiculously low amount on priceline and I definitely got a great deal. While I've stayed in 2 better places in Richmond but I've paid more too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is a totally customer friendly hotel. From check-in, where they put me in a nice quiet room ( taking the time to check the floor plan of where the room was located), to the wonderful room service, to the friendly service at the breakfast buffet all was perfect. Rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Room came with a cute bage with ear plugs, lavender spray and an eye mask. I would stay here again and again. Service is top priority at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I would like to say thank you to the entire staff during my recent weekend stay for an event over New Year. The staff was extremely accommodating and helpful. I even lost my driver's license and credit card in the ballroom, and when the staff found it the next day they mailed them directly to my home. I will return to this hotel many times. Thank you for being so helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy G
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West for 4 days (for business) and it was a comfortable stay, but hotel needs many renovations. The guest rooms and bathrooms were clean and neat, but the carpet was dirty and buckling in the rooms and in the corridors. The wallpaper was peeling in many places and the furnishings were worn. There was an odor in the hallways (musty) that seemed to be in many places in the hotel. The food in the restaurant was good, but the service was horrible. We waited over an hour for our meals (supper) on two different days and the servers were not friendly at all. The breakfast buffet was very good, and eggs were cooked to order. We recommend this hotel for a short overnight stay, as it is clean, comfortable, and in a great location, but I do not recommend it for an extended stay. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating, and they corrected any problems we encountered. I would highly recommend this hotel if the management made renovations to the rooms and corridors (new carpet, wallpaper, furniture), provided customer service training for the restaurant staff, and installed new elevators.

Room Tip: First or second floor rooms are best, as the elevators are extremely slow and make scary noises/move...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Hotrod_Hammer
Reviewed November 12, 2011

That is the sound of your money being flushed down their greedy gullets. What hotel books multiple soccer teams with early morning schedules the same time they have a late night party with amplified music (ridiculous bass) and a dj? That would be this one. Who can sleep when they are on the third floor and honestly feel the music at 1 and 2am two nights in a row. Complaints were completely ignored. We were made to feel as though we were making it up. This is the worst hotel experience of our lives. We will never stay at a crowne plaza again.

Room Tip: Choose any room that is not at this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends