“Beautiful, very unexpected place”
Review of Maymont

Maymont
Ranked #3 of 152 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Maymont is a 100-acre American estate, an extraordinary gift given to the community by James and Sallie Dooley who lived there from 1893 to 1925. Whether strolling in the gardens, touring the mansion, watching river otters at play, or petting a goat, there is something for everyone to enjoy. NEW! Golf cart tours are now available. Explore the rolling hills and winding path with ease with a personal tour guide!
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I only researched a little before coming. We only had a few hours to visit, but we needed so much more. We are planning to go back to your the house and to go to other sections of the estate.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"historic house"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Maymont is a very large estate with lots of grounds to walk and gardens to view and some animals that have been rescued. The main house is lovely and the tours are informative. Amazing they can keep this lovely place open with just donations rather than a set fee, makes it accessible to all.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Maymont Mansion is the best example I've ever seen, of a millionaire's house from the Gilded Age period. As the owners: James and Sallei-May Dooley, bequeathed their home to the city of Richmond, MD, as a present. They also left enough money to keep it going as a museum of their lifestyle of the 1920'. Upon arrival to the Mansion, we signed up for the next tour of the house. While waiting for our tour, we could explore the basement floor, to see the everyday life of the domestic staff, who lived "downstairs". The Maymont House museum is amazing!!! You can't start imagining what wonderful objects of art it contain. Some large windows were custom made by Tiffany's studio for this Mansion. All the parquet floor is the original one, and so are the wall covering, the curtains on the windows. Some of the lighting fixtures were also made by Tiffany. The furniture is unique, the bedroom with a swan shaped bed, is one of a kind. Since the Dooley's didn't have any heirs, the house stay exactly as it was when they had lived there! You can't take pictures so unfortunately you have to go and see for yourselves this incredible ornamental estate. The guide was very knowledgeable, and told the all about the Dooleys, and the objects of art in the house. Do not miss the gardens. My visit was on a very hot day, and I had limited time to spend there, so I only saw a part of it. As I understand there is a Japanese garden with a Koi fish pool. a small waterfall, an Italian garden, and more. No doubt, Maymont House Museum was the best attraction of my 2 week trip.

1  Thank Sharon_zz
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a wonderful place for if you have about 3 to 4 hrs. A huge 100 acre lush green landscapes. Some of the biggest trees I have seen in Richmond. It has a long walk way with Mongolia trees plant all the way. They have carriage rides but it wasn't operational when we went.
Also they has a decent aviary, pet Farm and animal exhibit.
It's right next to I95 but when you pass by you won't realize that such palace would exist there. The palace was also good. I would recommend taking the palace tour.