Sunday Champagne Brunch at the Jefferson Hotel
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Clarksville, Maryland
“Tea Time”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had a lovely tea here with 6 others and enjoyed the very fragrant Richmond tea. The sandwiches and dainties were OK, but not outstanding. May have been that I was not very hungry at the time.

Visited April 2013

Chesterfield
“Good...but with problems”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We went to the Jefferson Hotel this past weekend for brunch. My son chose the restaurant for his birthday.

Reservations - We had a major issue with this one and I hope the powers that be are listening. The Jefferson website did not work with any of our mobile devices...Ipad, or two phones. When I finally got to a computer, the phone number listed on the front page of the web site is wrong. When I finally made the reservation, I was told they only had room at the 1:30 seating. I have been to many brunches and I know that food gets a little sparse at the end of service so I asked the young lady on the phone about it and of course she promised me there would be no problems. Not true!

When we arrived at 1:15, we got to the hostess desk on the 2 floor. The hostess and 2 servers were busy setting up tables. They saw us but did not say anything to us for a full 5 minutes..they even walked past me a couple of times. Finally I asked about our table and she told me to follow her. We got to a table and it was not yet cleaned from the earlier seating. She asked us to wait while she cleaned it. I asked if we could sit at any of the other numerous already set but empty tables around us and she said no...she had to set this one. So we waited..and waited..and waited. It took about 10 minutes to set the table and then she disappeared for a while before coming to get us. I know we had a 1:30 seating, but many other tables were seated early while we waited.

Once we sat, things were better. Our waitress was very sweet but obviously new.

The food was hit and miss. The breakfast side was far superior to the lunch side. I must say that the egg benedict were by far the best I have ever had on a buffet. Eggs still runny, biscuit still moist. Waffles and french toast were good. On the lunch side, none of the hot dishes stood out. Chicken was very dry as was the pork. Veggies were overcooked and the rice was mushy and sticky. The carving station was ok. The ham was outstanding but the tri-tip was not great. I expected a better cut of beef for a high end brunch. I like tri-tip but this one was chewy and had an off flavor that we couldn't quite put our finger on. The oysters were kept ice cold which is very good. Our biggest gripe was that indeed, by 2:00 they were starting to run out of items or were leaving things too long on the buffet. The shrimp ran out, the oysters ran out, the tri-tip ran out and all the hot items tasted old and dry. Even the breakfast items were looking old. They broke down one of the omelette stations which was awkward because the dining room was full. it made us feel like we were being rushed. At $42 pp, I believe that the quality of food should not suffer at the end of service!

Desserts looked good, but many of the items that were there in the beginning of service were gone at the end. I did try to choc. mousse which was excellent and a cannoli which was not!

For a special occasion, I would consider coming back but NEVER for the late seatings. Most likely, we will look for alternatives if we want brunch but the kids love the buffet and i believe this is the only game in town!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank J C
Bethesda, Maryland
“For Classic Family Special Occasion Meals”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We've been to Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas brunch buffets at The Jefferson and have never been disappointed. It's a place where people still dress in their Sunday best and multi-generational families are the norm. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Enjoy! Everyone should have this experience once. And by experience I mean the crowd, the food, the gorgeous atmosphere. This is not a Foodie Nirvana (try sister restaurant LeMaire to go more upscale) but rather it is a true RICHMOND experience in a breathtaking, historic setting. Don't miss the gift shop's luxurious towels - real find!

New Jersey
“Looks 10, Food 3 Bad choice for vegetarians”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have heard this hotel has one of the most beautiful lobbies in America, and we went here for a brunch with 25 people for a pre planned brunch. One of the offerings was a Chickpea grinder ,a sandwich which boasted an interesting array of vegetables and chickpeas on a roll. It turned out to be one of the WORST lunches ever! There was only about a tablespoon of stuff, spread over a white roll. No tomatoes, lettuce nothing! I know it must have been expensive, but I was too embarrassed to say anything. I had a half of a nice hamburger, which was excellent. My Vegan daughter said it was as if the restaurant hated vegetarians!

• Visited December 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Wow! This is an Experience!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was the fourth time I've embarked on this Christmas Brunch. It is first class. Although pricey, it is a Christmas Delight for family. There's something for every palate!

• Visited December 2012