“Me Likes Alot”

Pepe's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 1,638 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 9, 2014

A few months ago I set on a quest to find a restaurant that provided an authentic Mexican cuisine experience. And because Taco Bell was packed with customers during mid day, I opted to go to Pepe's Mexican Restaurant. Upon being seated at my table, my server placed a basket of hand crafted gourmet tortilla chips with two made from scratch sauces. Here is my review...

The Good:

Prices- The menu is filled with many food items to choose from. Most of the items on the menu are under $8. This restaurant has a lunch special from 11am-4pm that offers a decent amount of food for a low price.

Taste- Unlike Taco Bell, there is no question that the meat Pepe's uses is real and has a great taste to it. I ordered the Burittos Chuchos, which was two shredded beef burrotos with nacho cheese and comes with sour cream, lettuce, tomato, and choice of beans or rice. The flavors all came together and reminded me why there should be a higher demand for authentic Mexican restaurants in the area.

The Bad:

Portion Size- While the food was good, it certainly was not filling. I ordered the Burittos Chucho at about $7.50. The two burritos and beans that arrived on the plate was a significantly smaller portion than what one may get in one $6.50 Chipolte Burrito. If you are not a hungry someone like me, you like this place. If you have an appetite, you might want to order 2-3 entrees to fee full.

Questionable:

Service- While my server was nice and knowledgeable of the menu items, he was rarely around after taking my order and the food came out slightly longer than anticipated.

Overall- While the food is not filling to my standards, it has a great taste and is inexpensive. To the Mexican cuisine connoisseurs, this place is a hit and I wouldnt mind going back again. FOUR STARS.

1  Thank 712jonb

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Recently we were in Richmond Area visiting family and were taken to one of their FAVORITE restaurants and now WE CAN SEE WHY. Pepe's Mexican Restaurant is has the best Mexican food we have eaten in a LONG LONG time. The service is quick, - Chips and Salsa almost immediately and the White Salsa is something that 'grows' on you and you just want MORE. The food comes quickly from friendly wait staff and the owner comes around often to make sure everything is satisfactory. The Shrimp Barrito dishes are great and the overall selection on the menu is great with something for everyone's liking. We have several Mexican Restaurants in our area in Indiana, but nothing like Pepe's.
When we return again to North Chesterfield, VA, we will definitely want to go to Pepe's again, and SO SHOULD YOU.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We go to Pepe's at least once every time we're in Midlothian. It's authentic & delicious Mexican food, at a good price, & delivered by great service. I absolutely LOVE the white salsa that's served with chips.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Yummy Mexican food and great service. Terrific staff. Love the pollo loco. Neat art by local artists.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you love great Mexican food this is the place to go. Their food is always fresh and no matter what I order it always seems to be the best I have eaten. The staff is friendly and service is quick. If you go more than once they will probably remember you and greet you with a hug!
If you are in the mood for Mexican you have to try this restaurant.