“A new Ethiopian flower is found”
Review of Addis Restaurant

Addis Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Addis Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A new Ethiopian flower is found”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Well if you did not know Addis ababa means "new flower" in native Ethiopian language. So we ventured into this little restaurant in downtown cobbled stone Richmond to see what the food was like. I am a big fan of lamb and anything or anyone that makes it I am there at first and last bite. It took some time to understand the menu but the service was kind enough to ask what we were looking for and helped us pick a few items. One appetizer and a main course. Now the food comes in a round dish with a rice flour bread at the bottom. This bread is not fully cooked so it can be spongy to feel and taste. The meal is placed on top from meats to beans depending on your order. All three meats (lamb to fish to chicken) were clearly well marinated and cooked slowly so quite tender. Now there is no rice and we ate traditionaly with our fingers which was a unique experience in itself.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Smith R

“Better than it looks”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had the opportunity to dine here on Memorial Day.
There wasn't much traffic that day and I was fearful that it could mean subpar food.
I don't have extensive experience at Ethiopian restaurants but feel that the food here was among the best that I have had. The injera was perfect consistency. The vegetables were properly cooked and flavored. I will definitely go back

• Visited May 2014
St Louis
“First Time Trying Ethiopian Food And Loved It!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Have never tried Ethiopian food and was very happy to have tried it at Addis. We arrived very early for dinner and the owner greeted us and was very friendly. Our server was as well and very helpful with the menu items. We started off with sambussas and ordered a terrific wine; I believe its called Axumite; a sweet red wine. I do not care for wine, but I certainly enjoyed this one. The server then brought out the main courses and sides in a large dish with a plate of injera; a classic Ethiopian bread used to eat your meal with by tearing off pieces and using it to grab bites of food. It has a mild sourdough taste. Our main courses consisted of two beef dishes and a lamb dish with lentils and potatoes. They also added a cabbage dish that was absolutely phenomenal; I have no idea how they prepared it, but I didn't know you could do that with cabbage. My father mentioned to the owner that it was his wife's birthday and the owner himself came out and presented her with a glass of honey wine. I think it may have been called Saba Tej. A little too sweet for me, but she raved about it and started searching for it as soon as we got home that night. I enjoyed this meal very much and would definitely recommend it. To me; the only drawback could be the parking. It seems to only be street parking in that area. I think there might have been a parking lot just down the block, but I'm not sure. But I wouldn't let the parking distract you from trying out a real gem of a restaurant in Richmond.

• Visited April 2014
Olympia, Washington
“Amazing food, good service”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Ethiopian fare is my favorite and Addis does not disappoint. Not only if the food delicious, the service is great too... A rarity in Richmond. Thursday they have half priced entrees during happy hour. Like them on Facebook to get updates.

• Visited March 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Truly authentic”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Lovely restaurant ambience. The food is just perfect blend of spices and freshness. Don't miss this place...they are very accommodating and friendly here.