“Very pleased first hibachi experience”

Kenji Hibachi and Sushi Bar
Ranked #684 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were immediately greeted, seated, & started with drinks. Once our party of five had ordered; service was prompt. We were served "soup" and salad; nothing special about either. But then the show began. We had a very friendly talented hibachi chef who creatively prepared 5 awesome plates, consisting of rice, vegetables, filet mignon, & scallops/chicken/shrimp. It wasn't just a crafty preparation but it was plenty of deliciousness. Several in my party had to ask for to-go containers. Be prepared get what you pay for; dinner & entertainment. But I'm hooked.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Five of us visited Kenji last night for a girls' night out. The restaurant is very nicely decorated with a lovely wall waterfall in the entrance, high ceilings, and orderly, modern tables in the sushi and hibachi areas. When we arrived at 6pm on a Monday night, there was only one other table occupied. We sat at a regular table close to the sushi bar. Our waitress was prompt with menus for the four of us who were there first, but was slow in returning for our orders. When our fifth friend arrived at 6:50, it took nearly ten minutes for the waitress to notice and bring her a menu. By this point, there were other tables occupied, but the restaurant was nowhere near half capacity. We observed several employees standing around behind the sushi bar, but service was slow and our food preparation (sushi and fried rice orders) was also slow.

However, we were beyond pleased with the quality and taste of the sushi and the serving portions. Kenji has happy hour from 5-7 Mondays through Wednesday (martinis are $4, sushi rolls range from $3-5), and we assumed that the lower pricing would be reflected in smaller portions. We were happy to be proven wrong! Several of us had to take leftovers home for lunch the next day. I ordered California Rolls and Shrimp Tempura, which were outstanding. Others ordered the Winter Rolls, Volcano Rolls, and Salmon Rolls. We had absolutely nothing but praise for the food itself.

I will definitely be returning to Kenji, and just hope that the service will be swifter!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Tried this for the first time on Sunday. We made a reservation for a Hibachi table and were seated promptly. Owner and wait staff very friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding, not overly salted like most hibachi restaurants. The atmosphere is modern with a beautiful mural on the wall behind the hibachi tables. We did not have sushi but what we saw was very nice looking. This is a very nice place on the West End next to Short Pump mall. We will return here on our next trip to the Richmond area.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Probably one of the complicating factors was my wife's request for gluten free and egg free (most soy sauces have wheat). Perhaps this threw off the chef, but he definitely was not on his game. A major draw for a Hibachi is the showmanship, and our chef was not very entertaining, plus he couldn't pull of the tricks. The food was good enough, however I have definitely had better, for example Ichaban.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've been to a number of hibachi steak restaurants over the years and a couple of two or three here in Richmond (including the long time -- possibly original Richmond Kabuto's). They are all pretty much the same. You sit around a table, a chef does a show as he cooks and makes funny wisecracks.

I have found that the food is always pretty much the same. Fairly bland, shrimp appetizer, iceberg lettuce with a ginger dressing, soup, and then a main course. We each received 2 small shrimp as appetizer. What little was there was delicious.

I was with a large group of people last night (4/12/13) and we had a great time. The service is EXCELLENT, staff very friendly and accommodating. While there was great company, great atmosphere, and super staff, the food was somewhat disappointing. I read some other reviews and I do have to agree with at least one in that regardless of what we ordered, it was still cooked the same.

I ordered Sukiyaki steak and three of my companions ordered Hibachi Steak. I asked the waitress why the Sukiyaki steak was $1.45 less than the Hibachi Steak. She explained that the Sukiyaki steak was cooked with a teriyaki sauce while the Hibachi Steak was cooked with soy sauce. The waiter properly repeated to each of us what we ordered, yet he cooked all three steak dishes the same and just divided them up between the three of us. Honestly, without pouring on the ginger sauce the steak was pretty tasteless.

The woman sitting next to me specifically told the waitress and the chef to NOT use the teriyaki sauce on her salmon but he did anyway. It didn't seem to matter WHAT we told the chef it was all cooked the same. Some wanted steak medium and some of us wanted medium rare....he still cooked all of it the same amount of time.

I paid $1.95 extra to get fried rice rather than steamed white rice and I believe it was worth it.

The vegetables served with the meal were excellent, crisp exactly like I like them.

What REALLY disturbed me is that I wasn't drinking alcohol last night (trying to keep the meal cost down) so I ordered club soda. This is the first restaurant that actually charged me the full cost of a soda ($1.75). Most restaurants I've been to will either charge a minimal amount like 50 cents or just give it to me like water (free). So I was pretty shocked to see the high charge on the bill for it.

With tip and tax my Sukiyaki Steak dinner came out to about $28.

Chances are that for that price, I probably wouldn't return unless I know that if I order Sukiyaki Steak and my companions order Teriyaki steak that we'll get two different dishes. At least my dinner was $1.45 cheaper for the same meal as the two others sitting next to me. ;-)