“Eh, it was okay.”

Tokyo Joe
Ranked #958 of 1,631 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My fiancé and I love sushi and have had it many, many places in Richmond and different places in the U.S. We have found few places in Richmond that we really like, so we continue to search. This place was recommended to us by a couple we met out at another restaurant. We were not impressed. There were a few highlights, so that's why I'm rating it average instead of poor. The miso soup was very good, as well as the ginger salad. In fact, their ginger dressing was excellent and some of the best I've had. The vegetable and shrimp tempura was also pretty good, although the sauce for the tempura didn't have much flavor. I had the "Pixie Roll" and it was not good. The tuna was chopped, almost minced and there was a very small bit of avocado. The breading was too think, soggy, and not at all appetizing. The spicy mayo was decent, but the little "crunchy" bits sprinkled on top were strange and reminded me of processed bacon bits (at least in look, not flavor). My fiancé had the U of R roll, it was lacking in soft shell crab and the roll seemed as if had been previously made, wrapped and refrigerated and then served upon order. The negamaki was good, but the sauce was too sweet. He also ordered sashimi, but received sushi, in which the rice seemed previously made and was rolled too thick and not by hand. The service was good and the atmosphere was quaint. They have another location on Midlothian Turnpike that we might try. Truth is, we have no real desire to go back and it's unfortunate because it's very close to our home and were hoping to have found a reasonably priced sushi place close to us. Sadly, we did not. Our favorite remains, Osaka River Road.

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Lots of places nearby for sushi but I always come back when I'm in town. From the greeters to the sushi masters this place is full of energy. Food is well made, well presented and is good value.

1  Thank claudedoiron
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Reminiscent of quick sushi joints in Asia (like Japan or Taiwan) - very unadorned, bright lights, more of a takeout place than a restaurant.

We had a selection of tasty rolls, toro sashimi and great agedashi tofu.
Very friendly place, and very informal.
Service was decent, the place was super busy, and the rolls were fresh.
Excellent deal for 16 california rolls ($6) so-called happy hours deal.
So why only 4 stars?
well, the prices are not as cheap as the dinehere.ca reviews suggested. After multiple ownership changes, the place is NOT run by Japanese, but by Korean, and the prices went way up.
For a simple selection described above (2 people with big appetite or 3 people with small appetite) we paid 54$ plus tip, not cheap given the rather casual bistro setup.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I are huge sushi fans and just moved to a home near Tokyo's Joe's so decided to give it a try and was hoping that it would be our new "sushi place". Well, after eating there once we will not be going back. We ordered 3 appetizers and 3 rolls of sushi and pretty much all of it was subpar. They even managed to screw up a ginger salad with avocado. Service was not good to top it all off. Many better places to go to get sushi (akida, sushi-0, and choptix are local favs).

Reviewed May 23, 2012

After recently spending a week in Japan, I actually found myself craving decent sushi once again. My wife had heard good things about this place, so we gave it a spin and we weren't disappointed! A sushi place to us should be good not only with their special creations but also with their standards, like tuna rolls and even their vegetarian options, and having tried a sampling of all, we were quite impressed. We were given sweet potato tempura roll samples at the start of our meal, and they were so good that we ordered another round. Special rolls ranging from the standard "volcano" rolls to my personal favorite name "Death by Sushi" make the menu choices a standout for the first-timer or the seasoned veteran. I find myself somewhere in between, but having recently tried Tokyo's offerings, I will say that Tokyo Joe comes pretty close. In addition, our server was knowledgeable and friendly, never pushy or slighting, and above all seemed generally interested in whether we liked the choices we made. Sometimes you will go to a sushi place and try something, dislike it, and no one cares, here they do. Just keep the Asahi cold, and the choices plentiful, and we'll be back!

Been to Tokyo Joe? Share your experiences!