“Really good Mexican food!”
Review of El Caporal

El Caporal
Ranked #404 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 18, 2014

After passing this Mexican restaurant on Rt. 460 south of Richmond several times, we finally stopped to try it out and wish we'd done so sooner. After living in the southwest U.S. for many years, we like our Mexican food and had been craving a good meal of it--hard to find in southside VA--and we weren't disappointed. The food is delicious, fresh, well-prepared and reasonably priced; the service friendly, efficient and prompt. My spouse had #24--a chili relleno and a chicken enchilada, with rice and their different and especially good refried beans--and really enjoyed it. I had the tacos macho--3 soft tacos filled with spicy beef cooked with chorizo sausage, served with the same rice and beans. Excellent. They serve an interesting tasty white dip, along with the usual red salsa and chips for dipping; if you like even more spice, ask for the green salsa, made with chopped jalapeños. Enjoy!

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

My family and my friend's family were there for a weekend. Had drinks and food. Awesome and excellent... I have been to Mexico restaurant before but this is the best of my knowledge. . Options are lot ... quantity and quality both satisfies. .

Reviewed January 25, 2014

A friend and myself were looking for a good Mexican restaurant in the area. We happened to choose this just because of its proximity. At first, I did not see it tucked into the area, since it does look so small. My friend said the building looked like an old Long John Silver restaurant building.

Once you walk inside, you definitely feel the ambiance. The menu is huge, we had a hard time deciding what to order. But, the margaritas and chips with dip kept us busy. So much food!!! Would have loved to try some dessert but, we could barely finish what was on our plates. Great tasting, great service!!! Will go again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

El Caporal is our family's favorite "Tex-Mex" type restaurant. If you want really authentic Mexican food in Richmond, you have to go to La Milpa or to Latino Village. However, you often want just the good old American idea of Mexican food. El Caporal does the tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc., well. The service is always friendly. The food comes out quick, fresh, and hot. The quality is consistently good. El Caporal is better than the other local Richmond New Mexican type chains.

Our family recommends it.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

i started going to El Caporal in 2007 and it is still my absolute favorite Mexican restaurant in Richmond! Their quesadillas are just divine and HUGE; i recommend the fajita quesadilla with chicken and steak which is what i get here almost every time. Their happy hour margaritas also pack quite a punch when you're in the mood