“Gone downhill since last October”

La Quinta Inn Richmond South
Ranked #44 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Florida
“Gone downhill since last October”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband & I have stayed here 3 times since last October. We drive from South FL on our way north to visit our son either in NYC or DC. The first time we stayed here in October, it was wonderful! We do travel with our small dog, so we are limited on locations to stay. The room was spacious and clean, and the area is quiet and I felt safe walking our dog at night after dark. We stayed again in December with the same quality and expectations as before. We were even offered a much lower rate since we had just been there a couple of months earlier.
However, our stay on Friday before Memorial Day was quite different. I had called while we were driving up I-95 to make a reservation. When I asked for the same rate as Dec, I was told that they could not offer it. I knew that we had been quite satisfied before, so I didn't push it. Ok, when we arrived, they were very busy and it was a holiday weekend. Our first two visits had been cooler outside. But this time, it was very warm. First, we walked down the hall that looked as if it had not been vacuumed in quite some time. As we entered the room, there was some odor that we could not quite figure out, but we were so tired after being on the road for 13 -14 hours, we overlooked it. It dissipated after having the a/c on for a while. Although they do have refrigerators and microwaves in all the rooms along with free wi-fi and parking, the next time we travel to see our son, I will definitely look for another location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ChickPosseeGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2011

When we walked in there was no one at the front desk, you have to use a phone at the front desk to call someone to come help you. This was also the case when checking out. I thought during busier hours the front desk would be manned. It was not which made me wonder a little bit about the neighborhood.
The carpet in the elevator was obviously old as it was coming up off the floor and was quite stained. The carpet in the room was also stained. The elevator door also made a noise that sounded like something out of a horror movie.
The bed was somewhat comfortable considering my husband and I had been sleeping on an air mattress in transition to our new home. The pillows were too fluffy and tiny.
They allowed us to bring our dogs into the hotel with no additional fees or deposit which was awesome. Our two large dogs are both very friendly but I'm pretty sure the desk clerk was terrified of them.
Overall the experience wasnt terrible for the price but it wasnt great either.

Room Tip: Use discounts
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is a nice place 10 miles south of Richmond, but the city is easily accessible by many highways. The hotel is clean, has numerous amenities including a small fitness room, a coin laundry, and a reasonable breakfast. It also takes pets, which is not easy in this town. Our room was large, comfortable and had good internet connections. If I were coming back here this would definitely be my choice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annbury
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Working in the area and stayed long term in this hotel. The staff have been great! I asked to change rooms one time and they didn't hesitate. My wife and sometimes my daughter came to visit on the weekends and the front desk were very helpful in giving her directions to local area shopping. There were a few small maintenance issues but not a big problem for me at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Danbury, CT
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Price/location was good. Takes pets with no fee. Breakfast was a little lacking.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Amelia Island, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We thought there would be more consistency in La Quintas. My wife and I have stayed at quite a few, especially the nice La Quinta in Durham, NC, but quite a few others as well. This property, we could immediately tell, must have been under another name first and simply taken over. That'd be okay if you had consistency. The entire place is substandard. The lobby floor is a hazard if your shoes are at all wet (it's been raining outside): slippery is an understatement. Poor lighting, tiny, ho-hum rooms, new "flat screen" tv's (brand: ViewSonic-??), paper-thin walls. This should not be a La Qunita if that brand is seeking consistency of experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Arverne, NY
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We've stayed here over 4 times, the service is great, the rooms are very clean, complimentary breakfast in the morning and you can bring your pets.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#65 of 82 in Richmond
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road

Been to La Quinta Inn Richmond South? Share your experiences!