“A real gem!”
Review of C'est Le Vin

C'est Le Vin
Reserve with OpenTable
C'est Le Vin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #865 of 1,638 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E Franklin St
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I’m glad to say it was not at all what I expected. That name, “C’est Le Vin Bistro and Wine Bar”, had me thinking it was one of those pretentious, trendy eateries for self-appointed wine experts. Far from it – this is a comfortable, relaxed restaurant with a friendly staff and truly excellent small plates creations.

Food: The wine experience was perfect. Several tasting bottles, and solid recommendations from the staff when we described the styles we usually enjoy. They explain the differences and make it easy to explore different styles. The small plates are great, both in taste and presentation – being right across the street from the Farmer’s Market might be a factor there. It did take a little while to get our plates, but I suspect that’s due to the care and attention they put into them, and absolutely worth the small wait.

Atmosphere: Mostly small, high tables for standing or sitting, a very informal style overall. The ever-changing art from local artists encourages strolling and mingling with other groups. Live music several nights a week and a dance floor large enough to accommodate a dozen couples. We were there during the Wednesday Argentine Tango lesson, with the music continuing after that 1-hour intro. A welcome alternative to the bouncier, dance-beat clubs nearby.

We’ll definitely keep C’est Le Vin on our short list, and recommend it for couples and groups looking for a laid-back evening out.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Come on down for a cozy drinking and dining experience. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was. I thought that C'est Le Vin was a drinking establishment. There are many wines along the wall from Italy, France, Argentina, and one other country that escapes me. There is not much seating, so it seems like it is made for casual mingling. That's why I never really ate there until last night. Now I am kicking myself for waiting so long! The food is fantastic! The selection of tapas is very good, but the entrees are limited; however, try everything! Go hungry. You won't regret it.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

C’est le Vin Bistro and Wine Bar, 15 N. 17th Street, is an uber-chic experience in Richmond’s trendy Shockoe Bottom district where patrons can explore the wine selections displayed along one wall, then pick a bottle to enjoy with chef Santino Filippetto’s eclectic menu that includes a range of excellent pasta choices.
The patrons who flock here are the dressy, watchable kind who come for the food, the wine, the free wine tastings every Friday and Saturday, the Wednesday $12 wine and tango classes, the Thursday poetry readings, the Friday and Saturday evening jazz and the gallery art that changes every second Friday.
Owner Genet Semere likes to introduce her patrons with wines "a bit out-of-the-box," which are often served by the gorgeous wine consultant, Nicky Davis.

Been to C'est Le Vin? Share your experiences!