“Long wait, but worth it....”
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Long wait, but worth it....”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Small restaurant downtown that serves awesome food. The wait was long but the food was worth it. The catfish nuggests and the coconut cake was delish!

• Visited December 2013

Gilbert, Arizona
“Mama knows best!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Was looking for a new place in Richmond during a recent visit and used TripAdvisor to check out the listings. Mama J's looked like a good bet, even though it was a bit of a drive for me. Downtown location, while my hotel was about 20 mins away. Was sort of familiar with the area, so decided to check it out. I was glad I did.

Dining alone, seated at the bar. Very hospitable young lady bartender. My meal was:

Fried Shrimp appetizer - wonderfully crisp on the outside, but tender inside. (ask for tartar or cocktail, because the plate comes pretty 'naked')

Small order of Catfish with a side of greens, corn muffin and an extra dinner roll. Catfish was perfectly fried, same as the shrimp. Crispy out, tender in. Greens, although helped with a bit of hot-sauce were also cooked perfectly and mighty tasty. Corn muffin was, although small-ish, one of the best tasting corn muffins ever. Not in any way dry...didn't even need a bit of butter. Very tender. Roll was not made in-house, so skip that and stay with the corn muffin.

During my meal, the fellow next to me got some fried chicken wings (not sauced) as an appetizer - it was happy hour and they were on special! After looking at how they were breaded and cooked, I had to have a half-dozen for dessert. Soooo crisp and tender. Could have eaten 24 if I had known before my catfish.

Didn't get traditional dessert (see above), but they're apparently famous for their cakes. They looked fabulous, but alas, no room.

All this for about $20 bucks. Had to leave a very hefty tip 'cause they were worth it!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

GB

Blue Hill, Maine
“Hmm, hmmm, hmm!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We have eaten here several times, but this is the first time I have written a review. This is a well established, successful local place where you will wait in line to get in, so maybe I shouldn't make the line any longer! But really, you should check this out. There is nothing that is not good, although I have a hard time passing up catfish when I am there. The meatloaf looked terricfic and our dinner companion loved the crab cakes. The title of my review is actually a quote from him. Don't pass up the candied yams or the greens- so good! The gravy is homemade so if you can't pass up mashed potatoes, which are just Thanksgiving perfect, you will not be disappointed. The corn bread muffins make you wonder why yours are never that good. I always want to try the fabulous looking cakes that you see under domes while you wait to get in, but I have not once been able to find the room for it. They are luscious and I can just imagine how delicious but someone else will have to review them. Really nice people too.

central Virginia
“PRICEY and worh it!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Our first visit to this place was today; from a recommendation by a nearby merchant we frequently buy from, the Chic Chapeau Hat Shop (very good Ladies' Hats). We arrived just before the lunch stampede on Saturday and were immediately greeted and seated. Menu's are "under the glass" on the tables. Staff is very very guest-friendly and knowledgeable. Catfish Dinner with sides and a Chef Salad fed 2 of us quite well with desserts for almost $35 American. Service was impressively good. NOT our idea of a bargain, but WELL WORTH it. We RARELY rate a restaurant as a "great value", but this one IS. Much better than the fare at some nearby "more-advertised" places. DO expect to be pleased with both service and food there. Like the late Jimmy Dean said; "it's better to explain the price than apologize for lack of quality." THESE folks can RIGHTLY BRAG about their offerings. We're going back soon.

Ormond Beach, FL
“Great food, warm atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

After visiting the fine arts muse ah we went lookin for a good place to eat in downtown. This place kept popping up as the place to try out. Parking was on the street and if your not comfortable with an urban environment then go in the day. It's a small cozy place. Cute and rustic decor. We ordered the fried catfish with greens and Mac and cheese. Catfish was perfect. Greens were so tasty.
The waitstaff was accommodating and friendly. Generous portions served. We loved our visit there. Will be back when in town.

• Visited November 2013