“AMAZING”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Cape Canaveral, Florida
“AMAZING”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Adorable place. Very clean. Staff was incredibly friendly. Food was delicious!!! Will definitely come back next time we are in town. We did not wait. It is small though so we did hit it at the right time!!!

• Visited October 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Cakes, Cobblers, Crabcakes, Oh My!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok, I get tired of restaurant dessert menus that read "flourless chocolate torte, NY style Cheesecake, and Key Lime Pie." I mean I love chocolate, Key Lime and cheesecake, but a little variety, please?? Mama J's does NOT disappoint in the dessert menu at all!! Homemade cakes and cobblers and variety! I've been many times and still consider myself eating through their dessert menu! Now don't just go for dessert - it's just that they do far surpass most restaurants with their sweet selection - look for their wall of CAKES on display and then start drooling... We sometimes go just for dessert - peach cobbler a la mode....Mmmmm...so good! SPLIT dessert (if you eat dinner) or prepare to take some of it home - because their dessert portions are not small. My fav non-dessert item is their crabcakes and seafood pasta salad. In fact, everytime I go I order the same thing (and mix up dessert) because it is just so daggone good! I have tried to re-create the pasta salad at home and just can't do it! You will NOT find a better price on crabcakes in RVA and they are delish! My husband loves the catfish! Great home-cooking! Small, very nice comfortable atmosphere, you may have to wait if go at a busy time.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank OutnAboutRVA
Frederick
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were looking for a lunch place near I-95 in the Richmond area on a recent trip. Checked Trip Advisor and read the write ups about Momma J's. We decided to make the drive into Richmond. We were not disappointed.
After driving around the block 3 times, we found a place to park. It was in a typical older city neighborhood. When we walked in the door, we were impressed with the updated look of the bar and white tablecloths. Very clean business.
After being seated, we chatted with the couple next to us, who informed us how lucky we were to get seated without a wait. Evidently its the norm to have to wait for a table.
The chicken was good. The Fried Catfish was very good with a good batter. To me the best dishes were the sides: candy yams, green beans, Mac and cheese were excellent. A lot of food. It was a Sunday and we were amazed how much carry out business they did. Quite a selection of home baked cakes. My wife had a piece of pineapple/coconut cake and lived it. Service was great. No complaints.
To us it was worth the 1/2 hour drive out of our way.

1 Thank Glen F
Newport News, Virginia
“I could kiss Mama J!!!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Where is Mama J? I love her. Lol. I don't know where to start, but I do know that she cooks some of the best soul food that I've ever had in my life. Tourists do not be scared to try this hole in the wall, the atmosphere is nice in the inside. It's quite tiny, so I wouldn't be shocked if sometimes there can be a long wait. We went on a Sunday and had no problem getting seated as soon as we walked in. We sat by the cakes and admired them as we waited for our food. The menu is underneath the glass covering on the table, so you can figure out what you want to eat very quickly. Mama J's also has a nice website, in case you want to check out the menu beforehand. As I read in one of the other reviews, when our food came, we didn't do much talking either. Our communication sounded more like moaning as we stuffed our faces. I had the pork chop, I asked for the gravy and peppers on the side. After I poured my gravy and put my peppers on top of my pork chop, I couldn't figure out why I had asked for these items on the side. They are perfect together! While sitting at the table, we couldn't help but notice the waitresses grabbing the cakes and slicing them to give to guests. We had to grab a couple of cakes to go because we were so full. I ordered the rum cake and I'm usually not a fan of rum cake, but I can now say that I'm a fan of Mama J's rum cake.

Johnson City, Tennessee
“I ate 'till it hurt”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place ranked up there with my wife's cooking. I had the fried chicken, yams, and greens. My wife had smothered pork chops, mashed potatoes (they were more like smashed), and greens. We both traded dishes and didn't talk much because we were more interested in the food. Our waiter was great...didn't get his name, but everyone there was very friendly. If you like southern cooking, don't miss a meal here!