“Save room for dessert!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This gem is worth a trip to Richmond. Southern cooking at its finest. Sides were awesome, such as yams and collard greens. A small and charming restaurant within walking distance of the convention center. Delicious desserts, like peach cobbler, were way big enough to share!

There are newer reviews for Mama J's Kitchen

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Order conservatively, or bring a cooler! Servings of good home-cooked traditional food are huge. Sweet potato fried are sweet with sugar & cinnamon, chicken and catfish are crispy, and the greens are luscious! Lively and noisy, but loads of fun!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Some co-workers and I walked in at noon on a Tuesday for lunch and were seated immediately. Service was excellent, with a very friendly and responsive staff. I had the country fried steak w/ mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. The steak was good, the potatoes and M & C were only ok, while the homemade cornbread was very good. Co-workers had the fried chicken and fried catfish, which they bothed rated as good. I felt like the sides which were priced ala carte were a bit on the expensive side for what you get. My total for lunch was $14. for a main dish, and two sides, no drink. Overall, the place has a great atmosphere and I will likely return.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family was in Richmond to drop my son off at VCU but before our tearful goodbye, we enjoyed a wonderful meal together at Mama J's. This was the perfect place to spend our last evening together before heading home. We waited about 30 minutes, which I understand on a week night at dinner time is pretty good. We were served very quickly and our food arrived quickly. The food was phenomenal, some of the best I've had in a restaurant and definitely the best comfort food around. Everything was hot and fresh including the fresh, made from scratch desserts. Service all around was great and I felt like I was welcomed into a cool, hip family. You won't regret eating at this fantastic restaurant.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Just what we expected! A classic, it seems that's way it has always been for years. We loved the smothered fried pork chops and fried catfish, although the crab cakes are not as great. For the side, we loved the greens and the seafood salad, although the Mac & cheese is not as good. We waited about 45 minutes at the bar and drank abd watched folks, on a Thursday night.