“Help . . . my tastebuds have been attacked!”
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 1,640 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having spent the day visiting a family member in the VA hospital, we were in need of some good food. Thank goodness it was a Monday and the restaurant which had been recommended to us was closed and of course, relying on the trusty reviews of other TA users, we decided to give Mama J's a try. Are we ever glad we did!

There was no wait for a table, and our server promptly brought us our beers so we could peruse the menu, which is kept under the glass-topped tables. She was great at making suggestions and assured us we could mix and match sauces. We had the wings, which were incredible, and the sweet potato fries - delish! For dinner, we had the fried and baked catfish which was mouthwatering to say the least, not a hint of fishy taste and I've never had such tasty greens; the coleslaw was just okay, but dessert, which is something I don't normally order, (and I still didn't - my brother ordered the bread pudding) was unbelievable. I really wanted to try the fried chicken, so we'll just have to make another trip back - I figure the 2 1/2 hour drive will give me time to work up an appetite. This was a memorable meal, more than reasonably priced and worth searching it out.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Richmond doesn't have much to offer but THIS restaurant is a must. First off, it's right downtown and near the convention center and colliseum. Secondly, the host/hostess is acomodating and bends over backwards to make your visit memorable. And it was just that!! Because we had to wait for a table (very popular place with locals) we were given iced tea and my grandsons were given their yummy corn muffins to fill them a little before dinner. EVERYTHING on the menu is superb. I had the fried catfish yesterday and string beans. Others had meatloaf, shrimp, trout and everyone was happy and FULL. Servings are generous and don't forget the scrumptuous bread pudding with lemon sauce. Please go and experience real home cooking and southern hospitality!

1  Thank traveltwin1951
Reviewed July 6, 2013

When my friend was driving me to this restaurant I wondered "where in the world is she taking me"?! It was not the area of town I was accustomed to frequenting! But after visiting Mama J's, I can tell you I'll be going back!
We went on a Saturday and the line was out the door! But we didn't mind waiting as the weather was nice. After being seated, I looked around and thought I was back in my grandmother old house - such a homey feeling and look. I ordered the fried catfish and my friend got the pork chop - both were wonderful! The mac n'cheese was like mom's and the homemade desserts were abundant! We were even visited at our table by Mama J herself! Service was good and very friendly.
Hope you have a chance to visit this little hide-away in downtown Richmond - be prepared to wait - but it will be worth it! (they run daily lunch specials)

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Every time I visit this restaurant I plan to try something different, but the catfish is too delicious to pass up! The side dishes are awesome; especially the Mac n cheese & seafood salad! Very reasonably prices and the quality and value are unbeatable!

1  Thank Olivia1221
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This restaurant is definitely worth your time to stop. It is small, so not suited to large groups, but our group of seven was seated quickly, although at different tables. The hospitality is gracious and friendly, and the food is absolutely out of this world delicious! I had catfish and home-made mac and cheese, which was served with a corn muffin. It was excellent. In fact, everything we ordered was exceptionally good. The desserts are home made cakes and peach cobbler - we ordered four desserts to share, and all were good, but the peach cobbler was the best. This is comfort food at its best!