“First timer”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I went to Mama J's around 3 p.m today (Sunday) and the place was packed and the wait was expected to be one hour. However, because we agreed to eat at the bar we were seated within 10 minutes. The menu is somewhat limited but good for all tastes. I ordered the fried chicken (dark) and seafood salad. I got three pieces of chicken, thigh and two legs, which were done to perfection. The seafood salad was just so-so. It was a basic elbow macaroni with a few shrimp in it but did have bay seasoning added which might have overpowered it a bit. My husband had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and a side salad. He loved it all. What really got our attention were the huge and beautiful cakes that they make daily. The double chocolate sold out before we got to order it. They had made 10 of those today...all went fast! Most everyone there raved about the cakes. We tried the rum cake and were not disappointed. Real rum saturating the already moist cake. So good!

The fried fish seemed to be a big hit with many people as I observed those ordering. I will try that next time. And there will be a next time. The waitstaff was friendly and very efficient. They made a great impression on us. The one downside as I see it is that all foods are ala carte. It really tends to up your bill quite a bit. I can see the lunch specials being a better deal.

If Mama J's continues on their popular path I foresee their needing a larger space with more tables. It is quite small and the long wait sent several couples away today. If we hadn't been seated when we were, we might have been one of them.

2  Thank tippysu

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Found this spot on TripAdvisor and gave it a try for lunch on a day trip to Richmond. After a short wait, we were seated in what is a pretty small restaurant. Menus were under the glass on the tables and were the same lunch/dinner. I went with catfish with two sides (mac & cheese and seasoned greens) and my spouse had the catfish sandwich with sweet potato fries (served with cinnamon sugar!). Both were quite large, hot and tasty. Our server was very personable. If you like comfort food in a casual environment, you'll like this place as we did.

2  Thank PeteVa
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to give this soul food restaurant a try due to its raving reviews. We arrived around 8pm and this place was packed. We were told the wait was 30min, but we actually waited longer. I didn't mind the wait so much because they had a couple flat screens showing the game that night. The ambience was very cozy. It's that neighborhood cozy feeling. Loved the homey decor and special touches of old richmond and pictures of the actual owners. We finally got seated, our server was very friendly. We ordered the catfish nuggets for the appetizer. It wasn't greasy and it was fried to order. For our entrees, I ordered the (dark) baked chicken with mac and cheese and my boyfriend ordered the country fried steak with seasonal greens. I like how they have the option of white or dark meat chicken. I enjoyed my meal, but I actually liked the country fried steak better. Overall, the food was good, but I wasn't wowed. I live for southern food, and honestly, I had better. I badly want to say I loved their food, but for me, it was forgettable. My boyfriend felt the same. Would I come back? Maybe. I'd like to try their desserts.

1  Thank je11iza
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I'm tempted to keep this place a secret, but I see the news is already out. This may be the best meal I've ever had. Catfish, Mac & cheese, greens oh my!!! Extremely small space. We were told it was an hour wait, so we decided to go to bar enjoy a beer and order to go. We took food back to hotel and loved every bite. Large servings. 2meals fed 4of us. I want to go back to Richmond just for this food.

1  Thank Shamrock849
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Crowded it was and it never let up even during the middle of a Saturday afternoon. Fried chicken and catfish along with collards and mac/cheese were worth the wait... Hot and tasty! Pineapple-coconut cake couldn't have been better...shouldn't have eaten the meal first.

1  Thank Paul L