“Awesome, inexpensive food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I found Mama J's on tripadvisor and yelp. Both places rate it at nearly 5 stars. The food does not disappoint. If you want some Southern home cooking, you will have a hard time beating this place. The decor is great, the service is amazing, and the food is legit.

The catfish bites were amazing. They were better than some of the fish frys I have been to at a lake with fresh fish. The fried chicken was great. The country fried steak was excellent. The collard greens were authentic and tasty. The large selection of home-made cakes was also very good. I recommend the sweet tea if you want some cloyingly sweet Southern goodness.

Warning - it is not the best part of town. Park near the restaurant if possible.

3  Thank mrolleig

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Wow! There really aren't adequate words to describe the food experience at Mama J's. Unfortunately, I didn't get an opportunity to actually sit down and have a meal here, but my husband and I did stop by briefly during a Richmond food tour. We tried the catfish, seafood salad, potato salad, yams, and a rum cake. This was, is, and will be the best food I had in Richmond. Everything was exceptional! I usually hate catfish, but here it was one of the best pieces of fried fish I've ever had. I wish this restaurant was in Maryland!

2  Thank TrvlLover80
Reviewed July 24, 2012

You can't beat the food and price here. Great southern style cooking, great service, great DESSERT (homemade carrot cake). I definitely can't wait to go back.

P.S. not in the best part of town - but well worth it!

2  Thank bjruffner
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This it THE place if you are looking for a bite of local cuisine in Richmond, VA. TripAdvisor needs to add the city on the listing, otherwise you won't find this place if you do a search for restaurants in Richmond. They are best known for their baked chicken, fried catfish, pork chops, side dishes and homemade cakes, Small restaurant, but large in friendliness, great flavors, and high quality. I had the baked chicken, and my friend had the fried chicken. Both are great, but as much as I am a fan of fried chicken, I'd have to say the baked was a bit better. Fell off the bone, and served with gravy. I love the greens, and the yams, but you'll want to save room for dessert! Coconut pineapple cake is the most popular (my favorite), but the lemon cake with lemon icing is awesome as well! Flavors change every day, so you know they are freshly baked! If I ever get back to Richmond, I'll be there again...and again...and again!

1  Thank mimififi
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My fried catfish was so good that my wife made us return so she could order it. The place was packed the 2nd time so we sat at the bar. This time we not only enjoyed the good food but the company of the busy woman working the bar (I'm sorry I can't remember her name) plus one of the regular patrons. (Hey Waverly! Still wearing your 'Old Dude' hat?) If our time wasn't limited, I had the feeling that my wife and I could have hung at the bar all night and really enjoyed ourselves. Definitely go there!

2  Thank Phillyboy51