“Our favorite...build one in Charlottesville please”

Baker's Crust Artisan Kitchen
Ranked #140 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Baker's Crust Artisan Kitchen in Short Pump opened for business in 2003 as an upscale casual restaurant offering a unique dining experience that encompasses a full menu exploding with flavor. The broad variety of menu items is sure to satisfy anyone's taste buds! Features: Daily Happy Hour, Weekend Breakfast, Daily Lunch & Dinner, Gluten-free Menu, Full Service Catering, Farm To Plate Salads, Neapolitan Pizzas, Free-Range Burgers, Home-made Desserts, Full Bar, Kids Menu
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Every time we fly out of Richmond (once a month lately), we plan a stop to this restaurant as we return home to Charlottesville. The food is always good (I've had at least a half dozen of their entrees and have not been disappointed once) and the wait staff is smart, polite, and efficient. The prices are very fair/reasonable.

This location is within the Short Pump shopping center (on the fringe of it actually). So, there is the added benefit of being able to squeeze in a little shopping too.

We'd love it if the owners would open one of these in the Charlottesville area. It would be a huge success. I've read reviews that suggest Baker's Crust doesn't know what it wants to be. I disagree. Baker's Crust offers a pleasant atmosphere (lighting, music, furniture, etc.) where families, couples, college students and parents, businesss people, etc. can have a really good meal, actually be able to hear each other's conversation and not be shocked by the bill.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I ate lunch here with two friends. One of them had an excellent Wine salad with chicken salad, the other a good half club with tomato cheese soup and I had half tomato cheese soup with BBQ chicken with avocado. The soup was fine but the salad lacking - almost all lettuce with two slices of avocado and maybe a tablespoon of BBQ chicken and no cheese that I could see, but the lettuce and dressing were tasty. Because of the others' good meals I am giving a bit higher review than I would have done on my own. Service and atmosphere were excellent.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This reminds me of Panera but with alcohol and waitstaff. However, Panera succeeds where Baker's Crust fails because the former knows what it is, while the latter struggles. The food is good for quick-service, but not anything special by sit-down standards. I've never had anything that was bad, and the service is always good, but it's like it's trying too hard - is it a bakery, is it a restaurant, is it a bar, is it a cafe? It's not great at any of them. And unlike some places that manage to pull it all off, there's something distinctly inauthentic and "chain-y" about it. The upscale quick-service vibe works for places like Panera, but it's not enough to parlay into a sit-down, full service eatery.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have never eaten breakfast here. We have eaten several entrees-savory crepes were o.k. The thing we want when we see Baker's Crust are the dessert crepes. Our favorite is the bananas foster type crepe without the coconut. The kids love the warm cookie with whip cream as well. Coffee, Americano for us, was also good. For us, this is a dessert place. The atmosphere is average.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

been here a few times for lunch but not my choice... it's not bad but it's not great. nothing on the menu ever really stood out and i can't even remember what i have ever eaten here. lack of a lasting impression