“"Not at all what I expected"” 3 of 5 bubbles

Lady N'awlins Cajun Cafe
Ranked #273 of 1,593 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Richmond, Virginia
“"Not at all what I expected"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

My friends and I wanted to try a new place so we came here. I was super excited because I've been wanting to try this place for awhile. I would like to start off by saying the staff is pretty nice and the customers including the drunk ones are pleasant as well. The food however wasn't at all what I expected. I rarely have to add salt to add flavoring to my food when I'm out to eat, however I had to this time. Nothing about the Cajun omelet was Cajun. I also ordered shrimp and fries for my daughter and the shrimp were a bit too salty, so I'm a little confused lol! Oh and another FYI, this place is very narrow and isn't a place I would recommend bringing your children or parents. It's more so a younger crowd type atmosphere.. Overall the service was decent, but the food wasn't all I expected so I probably won't visit again. I'm glad I can say I tried though! :)

• Visited December 2012

“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Curious about this restaurant, heard some good things about it. Decided to try it out after leaving Mama J's (one of our most fav downtown eateries) only because we didn't want to wait an hour to eat.
Entered Lady N'awlins, stepped down into the restaurant and had to walk thru the bar area to get to the dining area, it is a long and narrow layout. For a Sunday afternoon at 4pm the bar was pretty full, mostly college kids. This restaurant definitely wasn't what I was expecting. It was more of a hole in the wall. Looking at the menu online and the prices I was expecting a very nice restaurant. Not much room for the tables, chairs were rickety and right in the middle of the dining area was a door leading outside which was constantly being used by the cooks in the back and patrons of the bar. It was cold outside and each time the door opened a blast of cold air rushed in which made for an uncomfortable sitting. The waitress cranked up a space heater but that barely gave off any heat and it didn't seem as if there was any other heater in the place. So the place lacked a warm cozy feeling. Bathrooms were stinky. The whole place just had a cramped feeling. The music in the bar was ssoooooo loud I couldn't hear conversation with anyone at our table.
I ordered a shrimp po'boy, my husband the Na'wlins sampler which consisted of gumbo, jambalaya and beans and rice.
Food cooked and delivered quickly. Breading on shrimp was tasty and po'boy size was good. Had fried pickles instead of fries- they were okay. Dipping sauce for them wasn't all that great. Husband enjoyed his plate -even though they were delivered in 3 small bowls it was very filling for him. Food came on very nice dishes which seemed odd for the hole in the wall feel inside. Overall food was okay, not what it was cracked up to be. Not a place I would desire to go to again. Not one that I would recommend either. Seems to be more of a watering hole for the younger crowd.

• Visited November 2012
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“One of my worst restaurant experiences...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had high expectations based on the solid reviews, but was disappointed and left frustrated with my experience.

I'll start with the good -
Location and ambiance was awesome
Great tap beer selection
Rice and beans

And the bad...
Service was horrible. Servers and bartender were more concerned gossiping with one another and texting on their phones than helping me. Took awhile for anyone to even notice my arrival. Not a good way to start off...

Ordered the seafood platter...overbreaded, fried catfish, shrimp, and oysters with no flavor to anything. Fried okra was the same way. Not the experience I hoped for.

I wouldn't return

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank polar556
“Okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I went here for the first time a while back with some friends. Eveything was pretty good but definitely overpriced for Richmond and what it was. No one seemed overly impressed and no one from the group has talked about going back. Again the food was okay and I might have given it a better review if it wasn't for the price. There is definitely better, more affordable food in Richmond.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
“A taste of New Orleans in the river city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Love coming here....great for couples wanting a close intimate dinner or for singles going to the bar. The cajun food is GREAT, the price is reasonable and we've always had GREAT customer service. Try the grilled cajun oysters...yummm. The gator bites are a fav, the best gumbo in richmond...also try the blackened catfish, crawfish monica and bbq shrimp & grits!! Treat yourself to something different....