“Comfortable Food”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2012

On a recent outing with some colleagues in Richmond, VA we decided to go to Lady N'awlins Cajun Cafe on W Main St in the Fan District. We had heard their food was New Orleans authentic. Having never been to the Big Easy, I really had no comparison to make. However, my 3 colleagues had a plethora of time logged so I had 3 options for suggestions. For starters, we had an order of the Gator Bites which were tasty and moist and closely resembled a mixture of a pork loin and chicken. We also had the Pork Boudin Balls, the Oyster Fritters and a half dozen fried oysters. The oyster fritters were large meatball-like balls mostly filled with stuffing with some ground oyster pieces. The pork balls resembled the bitterballs of Amsterdam fame with pieces of pork (sausage) fried inside a large ball. The tastiest of the apps were the simple fried oysters accompanied by cocktail sauce. Despite being fried, they were light and tasty.
For our meals 2 colleagues ordered the barbecued shrimp with grits. I was told the grits were overly sweet and the shrimp, though tasty and done well, lacked the barbecue sauce. Apparently, adding the Frank's hot sauce to the grits solved the sweetness issue. The 3rd colleague had the jambalaya. He really enjoyed the spiciness of the sausage, but considered the meal overall to be ordinary (not very authentic). I had the crawfish etouffee. It was a red sauced stew filled with the tails of (peeled) crawfish and spices. The heat slowly caught up to me, causing an evacuation of the sinuses. It was accompanied by 2 small pieces of toast and white rice. It had a nice, good taste and left me too full for dessert.
All in all, I left full and satisfied. My colleagues enjoyed their meals though said Lady N awlins still has a way to go to be considered New Orleans authentic.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Made reservations for five of us to eat at Lady N'awlins. Had a marvelous dinner. Wait staff was very attentive and food was prepared quickly and served hot and delicious. Several of my friends and my wife got the Red Beans and Rice. One of them had sausage added to his dish and another person in our group got the Snapper special. I order the Jambalaya with Shrimp. All of us enjoyed all of our entres. The great thing is the serving portions are plentiful and you don't pay a fortune. Average price of an entre is around $13. This restaurant is very quaint and attracts many of the local residents in the Fan. It's Sister restaurant across the street is also very good. The name of that establishment is F.W. Sullivans.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

While in Richmond visiting family, we were told about Lady N'awlins. We were so glad we tried it! It is nestled in the lower level of the building giving it a very cozy atmosphere. Very similar to some of the places I've been to down in New Orleans.

I had the jambalaya which was excellent. It was spiced perfectly, tasting as good as the best jambalaya that I've had in the big easy. We had alligator bites and alligator cakes as appetizers. Both were excellent. My wife had the roast duck which was delicious. My daughter had the bbq shrimp and grits which she raved about and I tasted. It was fantastic. My son had the salmon special and loved it. You have to try the jalapeño cheddar cheese hush puppies. They were amazing. They came with some type cream sauce that was very tasty.

This restaurant exceeded every expectation. Service was great and the proprietor Paul and chef Sean both made us feel at home and very welcome. I could not give Lady N'awlins better recommendations! Give it a try when in Richmond. You will enjoy it.

Jeff - St. Louis MO

1  Thank jcm1966
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My granddaughter graduated from VCU this week-end and she had wanted to try this place. We all went, probably about 15 of us and they gave us the little back room. It was small but very cozy and we got everyone seated. The service was amazing and the food was the greatest. One of the 6 year olds was trying a little bit of everything and he said, this food is delicious (he had good taste) and he was correct!! Definately a place to try,
We give it a real thumbs up!!!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

You will have some good food if you visit here. The place is very small and a little loud at times. To the place to go for a quite dinner but the food was great.