“The Secret is out! I'm going to spread the word of this place!”
Review of M Bistro and Wine Bar - CLOSED

M Bistro and Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: one transit stop one mile from restaurant
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I did not know about this bistro/wine bar/heaven on earth until I walked through the threshold. I was actually intending on eating at the Boathouse right off the river, but the bar was at full capacity. My friend that I went to eat with, knew of this bar, we skipped the Conch Restaurant for several reasons. So I was very delighted to walk in the restaurant on a Weekend-night and have immediate seating. It was dimly lit, with candles and fresh roses at every corner. Very romantical (in my Darla voice). I was very intrigued by the place.

Lets talk ambiance/atmosphere/aura: Delightful, dimly lit, deep red walls, the color of Merlot, two separate bars, the back half of the Bistro was not being used. There were about 3 couples in the restaurant and 2 tables of double dates/parties that evening, so there was no overcrowding and a good amount of space between each party. And the kitchen is open so you can see the hustle and bustle of the chefs while you are at your seat. It was a mix of chic and casual. You could very well get dressed up in your sexy datenight attire and not be overdressed in your pumps but I add casual to the description because the waitress/waitor wore jeans under their aprons. So if you came in a cute jeans and blouse with flats on you would not be under dressed. But I definitely don't see sweatpants but to each his own.

Ladies we understand how important it is to feel comfortable and dressed appropriately when we are going out.

We ordered appetizer of seared scallops that was accompanied by a corn patty which was a delicious surprise! There was a common theme amongst the plates like a corn/breadpudding type of ordeal but the cornbread patty was delicious in every meal. I ordered the smoked/roasted chicken with asparagus that was cooked to perfection. My friend ordered rack of lamb that he thoroughly enjoyed. There was an array of herbal tea to choose from. Now I did order one thing that I sent back because I knew after one sip I would not finish, that was the rosemary lavendar lemonade, I didnt like the seltzer they added to the drink, what I wanted was a flavored lemonade (think charleston, south carolina) not a lemon-spritzer, but someone else may very well enjoy a little sizzle with their lemonade. Unfortunately there was no room for dessert. But everything on the menu sounded scrumptious.

After going there I shared my experience and others have shared they have a great bar, I don't really drink alcohol that often so I'm sorry I can't give you my opinion. There was nothing basic about the menu, every item I consumed had a special twist to it, even the water was cucumber infused and may I add VERY refreshing!

But let me answer three questions: Should you go? yes, What should you order? anything you cant go wrong Price range? $$ per plate. Bread is complimentary and its cute it looks like a chef's hat! The Chef met with us after we finished our plates and spoke with us for a few minutes, that was very nice to see. Also our waiter did his best to accommodate me when I was unsatisfied with the lemonade, but I told him in the end I just didn't want the seltzer, he probably would have tried again, so I appreciate that, I only have positive comments to share about this restaurant.

Check out my pictures and I hope this helps!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Yum! Our first time here, it was 90 degrees, but they had outdoor seating in the shade. There was a lovely breeze, and we were off to a good start. My husband & I shared a tempura avacado with crab salad and lobster claw. It was a delicious app, well presented and a very interesting pairing. We had the sea bass and catfish dinners. Both were very well prepared and thoroughly enjoyed. The menu had some tantalizing choices and we are looking forward to trying them on our next visit.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I had never gone for the Sunday brunch so I felt this was a great opportunity to try. We had a party of about 16. The waitstaff was timely but the actual food service seemed to lag.. Most of us ordered the crab cake sandwich special of the day which came with hashbrowns or with fruit. The crab cake was delicious but the bun seemed a little overwhelming compared to the actual size of the crab cake. The other entree's for brunch looked good. My second choice when I looked at the menu was the lobster roll. One lady did get this and the lobster was actually salad and not on the New England style bun.. M Bistro please do not call it a lobster roll if it is not on the roll or at least don't list the type of roll on the menu. Overall a good experience. Nice atmosphere and I will be back..

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommend this place. My wife and I went here without knowing what to expect. I got the steak and she got the pork chop and they were both huge cuts of meat and cooked perfectly. The bartender also makes a mean and fresh margarita FYI.

1  Thank Kyle D
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The restaurant had a Valentine's Day Menu that was $54/person. It was a four course meal from which you were able to select one of four options.

For the first course I had the lollipop lamb Benedict with hollandaise sauce. It was amazing. The egg was cooked to perfection as were the lamb pops. The presentation was great as well. The hubs had the fried oyster cocktail that was accompanied by a creamy hot sauce. Again, amazing taste, cooked perfectly and nice presentation.

For the second course I had young asparagus with a mushroom fondue. The asparagus was blanched perfectly. The fondue was good; there was a little tart taste to it but it was still great. The hubs' choice was the clear winner for this course though. He had the crab bisque with a sweet potato scone...AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING.

For the third course I had the crab cake and bacon wrapped salmon with broccoli and mashed potatoes and a lemon cream sauce. So, this entree was great. I could have done without the bacon on the salmon but it definitely wasn't bad. However, one of the reasons that I gave four instead of five stars was that when I ordered the meal it was supposed to come with striped sea bass. The waiter, as nice as he was, failed to mention that they had run out of sea bass. He apparently didn't tell the couple sitting next to us either. Salmon is one of my favorite fish so I didn't mind the change but if I was not a fan of salmon, I would have been disappointed to find out about it was the food was served. The salmon was flaky and the crab cake had almost zero breading. My husband had the ribeye steak with sauteed sweet potatoes and asparagus. Here is the other reason for the four stars instead of five. He ordered his steak medium..it came out some where between medium well and well. I know that mistakes happen but it was clear to me from looking at it on the outside, that it was overcooked. It took about twenty minutes for his new steak to come out and I didn't want to finish my meal without him so I waited. But when that second steak came out, it was perfect; it melted like butter. It was delicious, the sweet potatoes were okay.

For the fourth course I had wedding cake. The cake was good but it wasn't what I would expect for wedding cake as the icing was lemon flavored. But, the cake itself was very moist. My husband had the chocolate and strawberry fondue with pound cake and grand marnier. It was one strawberry with a bowl of chocolate and a sliver of pound cake that was about a a half inch wide, a half inch tall and 4 inches long. The pound cake was amazing though.

They have an extensive specialty drink menu and a somewhat limited wine menu considering the name.

All and all, this was one of my favorite meals.