“Nice night out.”
Review of M Bistro and Wine Bar - CLOSED

M Bistro and Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, International, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: one transit stop one mile from restaurant
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Nice night out.”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband took me here for our anniversary. It's located in the Rockett's Landing area of Richmond which for those who don't know is the "up and coming area" of downtown. Actually I like it a lot- although as the prototypical soccer mom I no longer consider myself "hip". That said, the food was very good, our server was very familiar with wines (he may be a sommelier) and the atmosphere pleasant- even down to enjoying the banter coming from the four men behind us discussing the Goo Goo Dolls and the six 23-24 year old "smokin' hot" girls they'll be bringing to some party. Very funny. I'd return.

• Visited November 2011

Prince George, Virginia
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

My husband and I selected this restaurant for lunch. I was a little apprehensive after receiving a "sidewalk referral" and a recent "not so positive" newspaper review (an unsettled new operation). I had a terrific dining experience! My impression of "M" was positive from the start, the venue through the cuisine. I chose the lamb burger, incredibly tasty with a side of sweet potato fries, some of the best I ever had. I took a bite of my husband's crab cake sandwhich. It was very good; small, but no filler as advertised. He had the truffle fries which are basically regular fries sprinkled with an oil/seasoning. Very good as well. We finished with a divine bread pudding....Great! On the negative side...service was a little choppy, but acceptable...and prompt. I could stand a little more polish for that caliber of restaurant. A close and open view of the kitchen was not a favorite of mine, especially since the service ledge is not a an ornate fixture. I would have expected nice lights/tile since it is so visible with clean dish and condiment clutter as well. Most of that can be perfected over time, but the food and location are winners. Looking forward to dinner.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Nikzleez
Virginia
“Don't miss out on this gem”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Our first visit was for dinner on September 17 and we will definitely be back. We arrived at 6:30p.m. and were warmly greeted by the hostess and promptly seated. As I slid into the rather spacious and very comfortable booth I had a sense that we were about to have a very nice dining experience. I could clearly see that a lot of attention was paid to décor and the volume level of their music selection (smooth jazz) was not distracting. The overall look and feel of the restaurant is upscale. Very nice. This is a place for adults.

For an appetizer my wife ordered the mussels in bacon and I ordered the deep fried pork sriracha. A word of caution here- if you are not a fan of spicy food it's probably best not to try the pork. This is particularly important if you plan on having something with a delicate flavor (e.g. scallops or sea bass) for dinner as it took awhile (and some water) to get my taste buds back in check. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her mussels and the portion size was very easily large enough for two people. She even commented that she was unsure if she was going to be hungry for dinner afterwards. For dinner we both had the grilled lamb chops and it was excellent. The lamb chops were served on top of a bed of applesauce which was a delicious and refreshing change from the garlic mash potato accompaniment that a lot of restaurants use. All the flavors meshed nicely and our server's wine recommendation (Educated Guess Winery - Cabernet Sauvignon) made for a great pairing.

There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about this restaurant. Add to that, don't be put off by the price- like most things in life - you get what you pay for. Nice job Chef Michael. See you again soon.

• Visited September 2011