“Nice boat ride where you get a brief history of Richmond”

Richmond Canal Cruises
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Nice boat ride where you get a brief history of Richmond”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is about a 45 minute ride where you learn about the value of the canal to Richmond. If you are lucky enough you get to see a few turtles and Herons along the way. It does not go to far up the canal to the city, but you do go quite a distance away from the city. Kids love this activity and it doesn't hurt that they learn in the process.

Visited April 2013

charlottesville
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Relaxing break in the city”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For $6, it's hard to beat this waterway history lesson. Our tour guide was Rusty and he had a lot of information about the history of the canal. The boat ride was 40 mins and was more than enough time to "cruise" this accessible portion of the canal.

I think the boat was electric because the motor was fairly quiet. There was a tarp over us that provided shade and many of the parts of the canal are shaded by the train tressel and highway. For me, seeing the underside of those structures and the flood gates were equally interesting. During our cruise, the boat was not full and if it had been, it would've been a bit uncomfortable. My husband and i sat on the side but there are seats in the middle of the boat as well. I'm 5'8" and if the center row had been occupied, i wouldn't have any leg room.

Visited April 2013
Richmond, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Pretty cool...”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Now, I went on the canal boat tour 3-4 years ago and I've learned alot. I only went because my wife wanted us to go but all in all, very informative about what Richmond was like 100 + years ago.

Visited May 2012
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fun and relaxation with history”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Took this tour with some college friends. It was a wonderful relief from the heat wave.It has a an awning. Interesting historical facts about Richmond. The water views are always different and better than the land views. Saw some wildlife. Tour guide was engaging. Don.t miss the boat!

Visited June 2012
Newport News, Virginia
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A nice way to spend 40 minutes”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have been to Richmond several times, but had never been down to the canals. The whole canal/can walk area was a peaceful get-away from the city. The canal boats hold 35 passengers. Thankfully, it wasn't a full boat or it would have really been a tight squeeze. The whole boat is covered except for the front seats. If it's hot and sunny out, I would not recommend sitting in front. Our tour guide was really knowledgeable and you could tell that he liked his job. I learned a lot history I never knew about Richmond and the canals. We saw several turtles which the kids on board really got a kick out of. Loading and unloading the boat was a quick process. This attraction was a good value for the money especially since we found a buy one get one free deal.

Visited September 2012