“Raves are right on point” 5 of 5 bubbles

Balkan Richmond
Ranked #142 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Richmond, Virginia
“Raves are right on point”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

I tried this hidden gem about a little over a year ago and it fast became a favorite of mine. I literally crave their goulash....and that bread, oh my! Friends who have been dragged with me (nobody has had this kind of food before, so they are hesitant) have ALL loved it! Great food, homey atmosphere and consistently delicious food. Love this place! Don't forget to try one of their beers!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank meowgal

Richmond
“Absolutely delicious and homemade!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great food at a great price!
First time at Balkan for lunch and was very impressed. A simple setting, but fabulous food and service worth coming back for.
At the suggestion of a friend, I started with the Burek--a meat filled handmade pastry that was flakey and very flavorful ($6). For my meal, I had the vegtable sandwich. A nice mix of grilled veggies on homemade "Lepinja" bread with tastey red sauce (don't recall name). My sandwhich was only $7. While the sandwich didn't come with a side, there was no need for one---the sandwich was very large and filling.
While lunch wasn't crowded, I understand that dinner is and that you should arrive early to avoid a crowd.
I can't wait to go back and try some of the other menu items!
My

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Va_Traveler_67
Williamsburg, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited Balkan restaurant couple of weeks ago, and didn't regret! The food was amazing, fresh and homemade. We had the cold meat appetizer, mix meat plate, chicken shish kebab, gulyash, and burek with meat. Everything was delicious and mouthwatering! But the balkan potatoes were the bomb - very, very good! We also found the room for all of their deserts, that are awesome as the rest of the food. Great selection of the Eastern European beer and wine! Great food, and great price! Definitely coming back!!!

1 Thank Boxic1989
Richmond, Virginia
“first time ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Been first time. I don't think I 'll be back, but maybe .Service was nice but the food not special, paprika is very dominant in goulash no other flavors . Kebab had no seasoning, it was OK , not the best ...maybe I will try something else , but I am not in the hurry....

1 Thank 921Anne921
Virginia
“Delish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our first time at The Balkan restaurant. We had purchased a living social and thought we would give it a try. The waitress, Nada, was very helpful and friendly. We decided on the meat sampler mix for two with rice and vegetables. The bread was sooo good and we were happy we could get a second helping. All the meats were tasty and it was definately plenty of meat for two! Lastly we saved room for the Apple roll dessert with a helping of ice cream. Can you say yum? The drizzled raspberry sauce was a perfect topping. Yes, we will be back to try something new!

1 Thank hopefulinVa