“Delicious!”

Balkan Richmond
Ranked #130 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Eastern European
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here today with my Bosnian in laws. My hub had never had Balkan food and he fell in love. I had eaten my SIL's mother's food and this was as good. So good, we stopped by the Mediterranean grocery around the corner and spent $60 on frozen burek, cevapcici, sudzuk and lapinja bread. Service was a bit strained as there were several large parties, including ours. Luckily my sil's brother was able to go and refill our drinks for us. They need a bigger place and a restaurant in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

1  Thank Laura M

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We've been to this restaurant on our last two visits to Richmond and have really enjoyed our food each time. I had the Hungarian goulash on my first visit....really good. On the last visit I had the Shish kabob and it too was excellent. I ordered the Balkan potatoes at the suggestion of the waitress. She just said something like people seem to like them. Quite an understatement. They were not ordinary potatoes at all. Just go there and try them. No doubt we'll return on our next visit. It is really one of those hole in the wall kind of restaurants (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all) that has wonderful food. It seems to be a family run restaurant.

1  Thank rogo82
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I am a vegetarian and there are lots of choices with a menu full of meat dishes. The food is fresh and full of flavor. I love the sataras and the cheese bureks.

1  Thank Fanchick
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very interesting menu, with different choices. Tried the Hungarian goulash, which tasted like basic beef stew to me. The mashed potatoes were good, and the bread was hot & awesome. My wife's chicken shish kabob was okay, but had no seasoning. But we agreed we would go back to try some of the other choices. Particularly the Balkan hamburger. We saw several come out of the kitchen and they looked great.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

It is a small restaurant with good prices. My husband and I split the schnitzel--which isn't like German schnitzel at all. Very good with this great bread. We had the fried cheese appetizer and this great eggplant/tomato dip. There are a lot of beers from the area (bottled).