“Never Again”

Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Delanco, NJ
“Never Again”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We were traveling with our pet and had to stay at a Red Roof Inn on our way home from Florida. Most other hotels insist on an additional charge for having a pet during your stay ($100.) We have previously stayed at other Red Roof Inns and were pleasantly surprised by their cleanliness, good customer service and morning breakfast. We are members of the Red Roof Redicard. All this being said, on March 31st we had booked one night at the Red Roof Inn in Richmond South and we had requested upon booking the room, additional pillows, additional towles and we asked to be placed in a quite room. Upon checking in, my husband was told there were no extra pillows to give us although we had requested them days in advance and he was handed one bath towel and three face cloths! He was also told there is no breakfast (not even coffee) at this Red Roof Inn! We were assigned a room on the second floor right along side of I-95. There were men dressed rather raggedly and unkept roaming the stairway and parking areas. There were at least ten trucks some with their motors running in the parking area. The room was supposed to be recently renovated but beleive me when I tell you it didn't appear to be refreshed. The room smelled of a horrible order and the sheets were stained! Most hotels provide their guests with a box of tissues but this place gave us a small plastic package the size you keep in your purse! What a disgrace! We were exhausted from the car ride from Florida and decided to get some rest. Upon awaking the next morning, my husband showered and began to get dressed and then I went into the shower. My husband then noticed there wasn't a hair dryer in the room! He called down to the front desk and was told they didn't have anymore and that if they could find one somewhere, they would call our room and we could come down to the front desk to pick it up. We stayed there in March and it was COLD! Who feels like going outside with a wet head to go to the front desk for a hair dryer. Real NICE customer service, wouldn't you say? Travlers beware! This place is a dive/dump/deplorable! What a waste of $60 bucks! As I said in my title of this review, "Never Again"!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank addiebNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newark
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Basic hotel, perfect for a night or so. Recently remodeled, offerable, no charge for pets, clean, pleasant staff, conveniently located off I-95 and fast food. There is a fee for internet and a charge of a dollar and some change for use of a safe deposit box in the room which you can opt out prior to payment. We picked up a travels' discount book and used the coupon. You can to the McDonalds located across from the hotel and pick up the coupon book.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avasquez
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed November 6, 2009

room was clean - recently remodeled and well maintained - pillows and mattress was firm and very comfortable - for the price this is a good place to stay - nothing is included - no free breakfast - internet cost unless you do the deluxe room - plenty of fast food near by

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank dwbtd
Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We have been traveling a lot lately and have been staying exclusively at the newly remodeled Red Roof Inns at our different locations. "Panther", our desk clerk at this Red Roof was very pro-active, pointing out that we should apply for a "RediCard" which would enable us to receive points toward complimentary room rewards. She helped us complete the application and saw to it that it was forwarded to the proper Red Roof HQ department. Panther was friendly and informative and went the extra mile to see make us feel like valued clients. The hotel room itself was clean, modern and quiet. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyClientFlorida
Goldsboro, NC
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Me and my family were stopping off here after spending the day at Kings Dominion. The rooms were very clean and just what I expected from Red Roof. We had a backroom facing I-95 and you couldnt hear any traffic. This is a trucker hotel as there was many rigs in the parking lot. Not that there is anything wrong with this and we did not hear any noise from them. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful.

However, the hotel has no pool or free breakfast like some of the Red Roofs have. The lobby is very small and although they have coffee, there is really no where to sit and drink it and read the paper. The room had no microwave or refrigerator and the TV got minimal channels at best.

And except for McDonalds and Subway, there is really no where else to eat at this exit.

Overall it provided what we needed for the night ( a place to lay our heads) but the amneties are very scarce.

Also the pictures by the name on this page are not of this particular Red Roof.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 13, 2009

The reason I titled this review as such is because, frankly, I can't believe I stayed at the same Red Roof that the two latest (2009) reviewers below stayed at. I am amazed at how great their reviews are, because this Red Roof is definitely one of the worst.

As many of us Red Roof fans know, the "Redesigned & Rededicated" marketing scheme has been a very mixed bag. I would say that a large number of those are more "Ugly & Undeserved" -- that is, an old room that they just slap paint on and put in new bedding and the infamous work desk and says it's been renovated. No -- listen, Red Roof corporate folks: you're not doing yourselves any favors by claiming that your chain is full of Redesigned & Rededicated (no, you don't use that line anymore, do you?) and when you show up to so many of them, they have that now-famous blue bedspread and the cool desk, but the rest of the room leaves a lot to be desired.

The front desk folk are less than professional. This location needs a security guard (rare for me at Red Roofs) so you know that that area is not completely safe. The beds in the rooms are awful -- I saw both a King and Double -- and the nonsmoking rooms smell like they've been smoked in.

I started with a King, but got the smoky smell, asked for another room hoping it was a whole lot better -- it was worse. Worse smoky smell, plus some other weird smell, and the double beds looked more appropriate for kids, they were so small and low to the floor.

I decided to stick with the King and then, because of the current bedbug epidemic, decided to take a close inspection of the sheets, mattress. Well, I'm not sure there were bedbugs, but there was definitely a little bug there (flea?) -- and that was enough for me. I checked myself out, with no charge, and continued on.

I hate to say, folks, but in my checking the reviews of all the Red Roofs on the I-95 from North Carolina to Washington, DC, the only one that appeared to have any good CURRENT review is the Wilmington, DE location -- and that's where I stayed.

I will continue to try and find good Red Roofs to stay at, but Accor needs to take a look at its Red Roofs if it wants to compete with La Quinta, who is starting to "Redesign" in a big way.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Charleston, SC
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have stayed here several times over the last few years and have never been disappointed. Check-in has been fast and front desk staff have always been pleasant. On my most recent stay, the room was clean and the air conditioning system worked well and quietly. Location is excellent, right off I-95 with gas station, McDonalds and Subway right there. Rooms have been renovated in the last year or so (I don't remember exactly when, but I stayed there once during the renovation).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends