“Good place to stay if you're traveling with pets”

Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have stayed here several times over the last few years and have never been disappointed. Check-in has been fast and front desk staff have always been pleasant. On my most recent stay, the room was clean and the air conditioning system worked well and quietly. Location is excellent, right off I-95 with gas station, McDonalds and Subway right there. Rooms have been renovated in the last year or so (I don't remember exactly when, but I stayed there once during the renovation).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed here for one night on the Saturday before Memorial Day. It was approx. $63 (before taxes) for one of their "inclusive King" rooms. The room was large and seemed pretty clean. Refrig., microwave, office/work area and wi-fi included. Internet speed could have been significantly better, given that it is advertised as "high-speed". Mattress seemed a bit lumpy for what was supposed to be some kind of "new bedding package". Overall, I thought it was a perfectly acceptable budget-friendly place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I had read many reviews of this property and was rather dreading having to choose this hotel but was traveling with two 50 lb. dogs and my son, it was after 11 pm with an hour of travel ahead to get to Richmond and I just wanted to know I had a place to sleep without paying $100 extra for the dogs. They were $10.00 at this Red Roof Inn. When I called the property directly, he said he had two people to check in and it would be faster for me to make the reservation with their 800 number so I did. First floor, two beds, non smoking-pretty simple and basic.
Check in was fast and efficient, the room was fine, it seemed to have been recently renovated. shower pressure was terrific, beds were comfortable and I had no complaints at all. As a matter of fact, on our return trip north we opted to drive till midnight and stay at the same place. check in was even faster. we did not use their coffee in the morning or any other service. For a place to use only to sleep and if you have dogs, I'd recommend this spot. if you do have dogs, try to get rooms 131-151. they are on the end, first floor and very close to a grassy area to walk your dog.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2007

After reading several reviews I liked the idea of staying one night at this "recently renovated" motel so I called the Red Roof Inn directly. The woman who picked up the phone asked me to call back because she was checking someone in. I did call back.,silly me, and was given a rate which exceeded the internet rate. When I asked the desk clerk if she would match it, she advised me to book online. Upon my arrival two people were working behind the desk to check in the guest before me. I was asked to wait until they had finished. They did give me the type of room I had asked for, and I commented that I hoped that it would be a quiet one. One of the desk clerks said that all the rooms were similar in terms of quiet.My room being only about 50 feet away from I95 traffic could not have been as quiet as the rooms further away facing in another direction. But, the best was yet to come. After pulling back the covers on the bed my son pointed to a large yellow stain on the sheets. .It was light but visible enough for me to wonder if the sheets had been changed. When I called the front desk they asked if I could locate the card left earlier that identified the maid who had cleaned the room and offered to bring me a fresh set of sheets.
After I pulled the bedding apart and changed the sheets, I brought the stripped bedding back to the front desk. The clerk had wanted to stand and wait while I did the re-make so I had offered to bring the bedding back when I finished. No sooner had I returned to the room than my son looked at the newly made bed and said "Look, this sheet has yellow stains too-even more than the last one." Well, if the clerk had told me that all their sheets were stained it would certainly have saved me a lot of inconvenience. I would not have been struggling with what I feared were unwashed sheets when I should have been sleeping comfortably.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank TheCovertCritic
Reviewed May 19, 2007

My wife and I paid $62 a night after taxes and did not have high expectations. But boy, did this Red Roof Inn surprise us. The check in took less than 5 mins, the staff was friendly, room was clean and the beds were fantastically comfortable. Definitely value for money and I would highly recommend to anyone who wants a convenient place to spend a night or two when visiting Richmond.

The wi-fi is not free and there is no breakfast. But those are the only downsides. There is a Subway and McDonalds just round the corner and the inn is just off the highway.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BannermanSingapore
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I decided to give this hotel another chance due to its proximity to I-95 and Subway and a McDonalds and gas station. Again, unfortunately, the hotel left much to be desired. During my stay I again saw two ants---one on the table and one in my bed---and found another stray hair probably left by another guest. I also found a hair barrett on the floor near the door.

The heat in the room is an old system and it is not central heat. It took almost a full day for the room to heat up to a semi-comfortable temp and the fact that it was about 30 degrees outside overnight did not help. I checked in at approx 2 pm and had the heat on "full blast" all afternoon and night and when I checked out at 10 am the next morning, the room was barely room temperature.

The wallpaper was coming away from the wall in my room and the hotel has that old, lived-in and worn out look. The room is best classified as a dive that is only for the person on a very strict budget. Nobody should bring their wife or significant other to this hotel and definitely not the kids. Spend a few more dollars and get a better place to stay. While the front desk staff was friendly, they could not make up for the failings of this old hotel which is badly in need of updates and more careful cleaning.

Advice: do not stay here. Stay around the corner at the Candlewood Suites or try another exit off of I-95 altogether. I have given up on this hotel and it appears that management has also given up. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank TrueTripInfo
A TripAdvisor Member
Davidson, NC
Reviewed December 3, 2003

Couldn't get the room cleaned. Bathroom was not even cleaned. Tolit not cleaned two days in a row. Ask to have the sheets changed and it didn't happen.Cleaning crew woak me up early every morning with their load talking outside my room. It was more like YELLING! Not Pleased. Be aware!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member