“pet friendly and clean and great price”

Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 29, 2013

i love this place. They dont give you grief about multiple dogs. well kept grounds and very clean, recently renovated rooms with great wifi. No complaints here. Gas station next door. only a couple of feet from Interstate 95 and the holiday inn just down the street has a nice restaurant. McDonalds and subway right next door. And the place is QUIET. Good night's sleep with microwave and fridge.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marion H
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I greatly appreciate your recommendation & comments on our rooms and service. “I love this place” tops the list. Our new rooms are very nice with the updates and continue to get positive reviews. Our rates make it a real value. Being pet friendly has allowed us to meet some special guests like you. I love the picture of your dogs. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Richmond.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn - Richmond South

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very clean, very roomy. enjoyed the electrical plugs in the table near the bed. My date of reservation was wrong. She was very friendly helped me gey my dates changed. It was a long day i really wanyrd to lay down. Children enjoyed the game. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Your positive comments and recommendation are much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again when your next trip brings you through Richmond for the night. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

we checked in at 7pm on Monday night, it took 25 minutes to check in, then once we got into the room, omg, the air didnt blow that good, we had to go out to our semi and get out little fan to keep it half way cool in the room, then I went to get a shower, HAIR EVERYWHERE!! the shower and tub had not been cleaned,there was a used shampoo bottle in the shower,so that tells me that they do NOT clean the bathrooms, the bed was old and outdated and had springs almost poking thru the mattress, the floor was dirty, there was no remote in the room, we had to go back down to the front desk to get the remote, and we were in the very last room on the opposite side of the building, we stayed in 228, the hotel is suppose to be 100% NON SMOKING, we passed several rooms that the doors were open and the guests were sitting in the doorway (inside the room) smoking!! our room smelled like someone had smoked in it, so i told the lady at the front desk to make a note that someone before us had smoked in the room, and we do NOT smoke, so we better not get charged for it!! and last but not least, they don't even offer Continental breakfast, only coffee!! so I say this, You really do get what you pay for, we have Corporate Lodging, as we are truck drivers, and our rate was $35.99 plus tax, so it was cheap and it showed, with the lack of cleaning and lack of care from the front desk. you would be better off paying a little more and staying at the Holiday Inn Express across the street. we will NOT stay here again!

Room Tip: if you want a good room, stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for your experience not being above satisfactory here at our inn. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case it seems that we did not. For prices we try to offer the best value amongst our competitors. I have spoken to my team & shared this with them to make sure we are providing cleanliness that exceeds standards in all our rooms to compliment the changes. I hope one day you will give us a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I made reservations at this hotel for an overnight stop on my way driving to and from Massachusetts. I chose this hotel because of the price, reviews and the fact it takes pets with no additional charge. However, after staying here one night on the way up I really wasn't looking forward to staying there again on the way back and I ultimately booked another hotel.

The front desk clerk was friendly and accommodating but I was not happy to learn that the only ice machine was next to the office which leaves the guests in the back building having to walk a long way outdoors to get to get ice.

The king room I stayed in looked to be newly furnished. The floors were uncarpeted with faux wood accept for an area rug next to the bed. I can see why many people would prefer no carpet in a hotel since it is much easier to tell if a bare floor is clean versus a carpet. It's also nice because they allow pets and the carpet won't hide pet urine and fur. Unfortunately, me and my dog hate bare floors. The room was mostly clean except for a couple of sections of the floor in the corners. The smell in the room was unpleasant (with a slight smell of mildew, although I didn't see any, and a faint smell of cigarettes. But it wasn't bad enough to request a room change. The exterior halls and stairs were not clean. But the main reason I didn't want to go back was it just didn't feel safe to me. There were some questionable people wandering around the parking lot, and the back of the property was not well lit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catlauren
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay with us. I am glad we were able to provide some positive experience for you & I appreciate you mentioning the “pros”. I am sorry that you also experienced some “cons” that made you decide not to stay with us on your return. Our new rooms have gotten some very good reviews and as well as some opposition. People do love out pet policy. We do offer some very good prices which attract a variety of customers, but I can assure you that safety and security of our guests is always a top concern of ours. I hope you will reconsider and try us again on your next trip through Richmond, Virginia.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I wasn't expecting too much having just stayed at a Red Roof Inn the night prior in another state (as I was making my was down the East Coast with a dog). I pulled in around 7pm after 10 hours on the road - was just glad to be in a place I could put my feet up and that allowed a dog. I took the king room and it was TINY!!! You walked into the room and quickly was met by the "desk" and chair and bed. The AC unit was quite old, but worked and once on the bed, you could stretch your arms out in either direction and touch a wall (to give you a sense of the size of the room). The bathroom was quite tiny too - the pictures online must be of the king deluxe room or taken with a wide angle lens. To give a sense, I had a dog crate and had to lift it over the bed just to get it from the door to the other side of the room (otherwise, it would have had to be in front of the door). I got it to the other side of the bed and had to put it in front of the vanity and move it when I needed the sink (it was that tight). All and all, relatively clean. There was a good gap of what appeared to be rotted wood in the bottom of the door - made me hope that mice and other critters weren't an issue around the hotel - expecially with my dog in a crate on the floor. Not the most spick and span, but it didn't gross me out too much. The staff were relatively friendly but definetly hanging out with friends outside smoking for a while when I took the dog for a long walk around the property a few times. Considering proximity to the highway and busy road, with the AC on, it was fairly quiet - or I was just that tired I did not care! Heard some trucks, etc. in the early morning around 6-7am and other vehicles with back up beeping even earlier. Being at a MOTEL however, this is to be expected a bit. If I was traveling the I-95 stretch from the northeast again with a pet, I would stay again, but wouldn't seek this hotel out if going for a vacation to the Richmond area.

Room Tip: I requested a first floor room on the non-highway side based on feedback from other reviews. First...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations for an overnight sleep. Our pet policy also does attract some great customers. One of our other attractions is affordable rates and the room type you had was our smaller & lowest priced room. Our other room types are a bit larger with the best value being the Superior King that now offers -iron, iron board, hair dryer, micro-fridge, coffee maker, and an optional safe. We look forward to your next trip Northeast and an opportunity to make your stay better.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night... I have to say for a Red Roof Inn we were kinda impressed... Nothing fancy of course but it was modern and clean.. Love that there was no carpet , that itself has to make the room 10 times cleaner than most...We would definitely stop here again for a overnight stay, it was well worth the money..... Great Rates, close to the interstate , plenty of places to eat nearby...just a good place to stop !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. It makes my day that we made such a positive impression on you. Our new rooms are very nice with the updates and continue to get positive reviews. I appreciate your recommendation & comments on our cleanliness since that is one of our top goals. You are right on when it comes to price point – for the price our new rooms provide great value. These comments mean a lot when they are coming from a seasoned traveler. We definitely look forward to seeing you again on your next overnight in Richmond, Virginia. Enjoy your summer!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Pros:
-Very close to I-95
-No pet fee
-Room exactly what we booked online (superior king w/flat panel TV, mini fridge, iron, coffee machine, blow dryer)
-Free wifi
-Pantene shampoo provided
-reasonably priced
-pet walk area with clean-up bags provided
-smoke-free
-"hardwood" floors; not real, but cleaner than carpet

Cons:
-night window, which suggests it's an unsafe area, but I didn't ever feel unsafe
-people yelling in the middle of the night
-few small stains on sheets (clean, but just didn't wash out completely)

Overall, perfect for one night if traveling with pets.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pointgiven71
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your comments on our renovated rooms as they continue to get very good reviews & I am glad you share that feeling. The Superior King rooms with the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and now with an iron, ironing board, and hairdryer are the best in the market for value. Our pet policy also does attract some great customers like you, especially with no fee. I apologize for the noise and will speak to outside services to make sure we are controlling this better. We hope you have a great summer and look forward to seeing you the next time you require lodging in Richmond, Virginia.