“What a nice place!”

Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
“What a nice place!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

LOVE this little motel! We came here from NJ to bring a foster dog to her new home and stayed overnight for Mothers' Day. The room is immaculate, the bed is ultra comfy and the value is exceptional. Thank you for helping us get Audrey, our foster dog, off to a good start and thank you for welcoming Junebug, our personal dog, who came along for the adventure!

• Stayed May 2013
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Your positive comments and recommendation are very much appreciated. With our new rooms and quality we do provide a great value, especially for pet lovers where Audrey, Junebug, and other pets stay for Free. We look forward to seeing you again when your next adventure lands you in Richmond for the night. Hope you had a very special Mother’s Day. Have a great spring/summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Connecticut
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Red Roof Inn, within two blocks of two other well-known motel chains, was $30 less per night. Expecting fewer comforts for the cheaper price, I was delightfully surprised to find a nicely decorated room with flat-screen TV, stereo system, and very comfortable beds. There was no hair dryer - I always pack my own. No complementary breakfast was offered, but one of the more expensive chains across the street also did not offer breakfast either. Next door to Red-Roof Inn is a Subway that provides breakfast; McDonald's is across the street. Ideal location for anyone traveling I-95 - easy off and on. I definitely will stay there the next time I visit Richmond.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I thank you for your comments and recommendations as our new rooms with the recent updates are getting a lot of positive feedback. Not all the amenities of a full service chain but with a significant savings it does make a “wonderful bargain”. Our easy on and off location makes it stress free to find us and get back on the highway when departing. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to or through Virginia. Have a great spring & summer.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed May 1, 2013

For the price (cheap), I have no real complaints. However, the hotel claims that all rooms are
"non smoking" and warns that there is a $200 fine if you smoke. But the first room I was given reeked of smoke. They were very gracious in giving me another room, but it was on the highway side of the hotel and if you are light sleeper (I am not, thankfully) the Indianapolis 500 din from I-95 may be a problem. Also, when the shower was on in the next room (at 6 a.m.) it sounded like Niagara Falls. But the room was cheap and clean and the bed firm. You get what you pay for and in this case the bargain is not bad, if you are careful in room selection

Room Tip: Make sure it has not been used by a smoker before checking in. Get a room in the hotel on the side...
1 Thank bassinstincts
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay with us. I am glad we were able to move you to another room to take care of your quality issue. With the updates to our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them. Providing smoke free rooms is our goal so I will revisit our deep cleaning procedures with the staff to make sure we are preventing this in the future. Many guests love our easy access but sometimes I guess that can be a disadvantage, and I apologize for that. I hope you will stay with us again in the future so we can give you 100%. Have a great summer.
NJ, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The room itself is clean, with adequate space and lighting. However, the sheets are thin, the bed is hard, the toilet keeps flushing itself at random, the radiator is extremely loud, and the motorcycle gang outside is having a party in the parking lot with blasting music that won't let me fall asleep. Plus, the locks on the door seem awfully flimsy, and while I'm not a suspicious or nervous person in general, this is the first time ever I've felt compelled to use every possible protection where I'm staying, and said protection is inadequate. Pretty much the only reason I came here is that I needed a place to stay with my cat, and it's nice that these guys are willing to accommodate pets for free, but for over $100 a night for a hotel with this much noise, this little security, no breakfast, and cheap, pointless bathroom products, I don't think I'll ever stay here again.

2 Thank RunnerOnIce
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for your experience not being above satisfactory here at our inn. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case it seems that we did not. I have spoken to my team to remind them all that we most provide the best experience possible to our guests and even with updated rooms we have to continue to work on how our guests experience those rooms. Safety and security of our guests is always a top concern of ours. For prices we try to offer the best value amongst our competitors. NASCAR does increase prices all over town since it is a special event, but we still keep rates lower than most of them. I hope one day you will give us a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Wyckoff
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed at this Red Roof more than one time on my trips back and forth to Florida . The desk staff Khan and Shana were wonderful! After traveling from 7:30am till 9:00 pm Shana was so polite and helpful. She had my room ready and made me feel like a member of the family. In the morning, Khan commented that he remembered me from a previous visit. My dog was welcome and that is a main importance to me as I travel with them always. They are crated and quiet. I look forward to seeing these members of your staff agin in the future on my trip south.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us again & taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy that we were able to make you feel like a member of the family. Being pet friendly has allowed us to meet many special guests & on more than one occasion typically. Thank you very much for your kind words regarding my staff and their service. We look forward to seeing you again as well on your next rip south. Have a great Spring!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed overnight at this Red Roof Inn just to get through a long drive down the east coast. I was quite pleased with this property - the front desk clerk (I'm so sorry I didn't get her name) was professional, efficient, friendly and helpful. The room I stayed in was immaculate, the bed was quite comfortable with an adequate number of pillows that were good-sized and just firm enough for a good night's sleep. The air conditioning was just loud enough to cover any highway noise but not so loud as to keep me awake.

There was no desk to speak of in my small (king) room, but I didn't have a lot of work to accomplish so it didn't really matter. (In lieu of a desk, there's a narrow "counter" adjacent to the TV stand/dresser - just deep enough to set a laptop but little else.) Additionally, the "regular" rooms do not have coffee makers or hair dryers; however, the front desk very cheerfully gave me a hair dryer to use, and there's coffee available 24-7 in the lobby.

Apparently this hotel has undergone a complete renovation fairly recently, and interior spaces reflected that - no smoke smell, new flooring, furnishings, paint, grout, etc. Note that this is a completely smoke-free facility (with smoking areas available outside); when making reservations I had a choice of smoking or non-smoking rooms and was pleased to learn there are NO smoking rooms at this hotel any longer.

I don't know if there's any sort of breakfast available in the morning or what it might have been like, but I would suspect packaged danish, fruit, coffee, juice & milk. I didn't bother even asking as I just needed to get back on the road.

This property is in an industrial sort of area, south of downtown Richmond, with easy-off and easy-on access to I-95. Although the area wasn't the greatest in the world (i.e., "scenic"), I believe it helps keep prices low here and I felt quite safe as a woman traveling alone. The WiFi worked just fine and all-in-all I was quite pleased with my brief stay here.

Room Tip: If you need to get very much work done, I'd recommend upgrading to a "superior" room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We love to hear comments like “great value for overnight” and especially that a guest is quite surprised after giving us the opportunity to serve your lodging needs. I very much appreciate your positive comments and recommendation. . The new rooms definitely refresh the product and continue to get a lot of positive reviews. Superior King Rooms are the best. Have a great Spring & we hope that you chose to return next time you require lodging in the Richmond area.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were there on a stopover on our return from Florida to Canada. It's OK for the night, but Red Roof is known for no-frills. The only amenities in the room are the bar of soap and the toilet paper. No Kleenex, no pen and paper to jot down notes, no hair dryer, forget about a mini fridge. We get what we pay for, I guess.

Maybe the room needed a bit of refreshing, we sensed some sort of 'old' odor when we got in there. The laminate floors seemed clean, but I could see that I was leaving some tracks as soon as I stood in the wet white bathtub. The floors are probably vacuumed regularly, but an occasional wash with a mop and bucket would not be a luxury.

Room Tip: Some rooms on one side of the hotel are just a few hundred feet from I-95. Late walk-ins will get t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations for an overnight sleep. One of our attractions is affordable rates and that limits us on the amenities we can put in a room. We are currently adding some amenities to our superior king rooms (iron, iron board, and hair dryers). Superior King and our Deluxe 2 bedded rooms offer micro-fridges for a slightly higher price. I apologize for the odor and floor and will share this with the employee that cleaned that room. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when in Richmond. Have a great Spring!