“OK, if all you want is to sleep.”

Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #38 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Ottawa, Canada
“OK, if all you want is to sleep.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were there on a stopover on our return from Florida to Canada. It's OK for the night, but Red Roof is known for no-frills. The only amenities in the room are the bar of soap and the toilet paper. No Kleenex, no pen and paper to jot down notes, no hair dryer, forget about a mini fridge. We get what we pay for, I guess.

Maybe the room needed a bit of refreshing, we sensed some sort of 'old' odor when we got in there. The laminate floors seemed clean, but I could see that I was leaving some tracks as soon as I stood in the wet white bathtub. The floors are probably vacuumed regularly, but an occasional wash with a mop and bucket would not be a luxury.

Room Tip: Some rooms on one side of the hotel are just a few hundred feet from I-95. Late walk-ins will get t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations for an overnight sleep. One of our attractions is affordable rates and that limits us on the amenities we can put in a room. We are currently adding some amenities to our superior king rooms (iron, iron board, and hair dryers). Superior King and our Deluxe 2 bedded rooms offer micro-fridges for a slightly higher price. I apologize for the odor and floor and will share this with the employee that cleaned that room. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when in Richmond. Have a great Spring!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I really don't know what too say without sounding like a broken recored. On April 6th was our third stay here at RRI Richmond South, Va. So far we've never ran into any of the problem that I've seen in some of these other reviews that room have been cleaned the beds are confortable and its been quite. The staff have been friendly, we've had a refrigerator and Micro which were very convenient to say the least. There a McDonalds across the street, Subway next door and a grill across the street. Great place to stay, one slight problem wish they had a little table to sit at and another chair. Its hard to watch TV or read on the bed especially if the other chair being used. Well I hope next January 5th we wont be disappointed on our 4th stay at RRI in Richmond

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us for a third stay & taking the time to share your experience. This is one broken record I don’t mind listening to. I am glad we have been able to be consistent over your stays, which is one of our main goals. Your comments on service and quality are very much appreciated by my staff and me. I will share your suggestions with my supervisor during his next visit. Have a great year and we look forward to seeing you again in January.
North Port, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2013

overall a good red roof...I stay at the red roof in florence sc quite a lot and the room I had at Richmond was just as good...right off 95 ramp but I had no noise problem. Room was clean and the front desk staff was good. AC was newer and worked well. Bathroom was clean and the room didn't smell of smoke, etc. TV was good and bed was great. I felt OK walking the dog around the area. Industrial site but overall OK. Mickey D's and Subway close and gas next door. Easy on easy off.

Room Tip: stayed in 145 was a good room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your positive comments and recommendation. I am glad we were able to keep up brand standards as that is very important with multiple properties. Many guests do love our easy access – easy on and off. I hope we will see you again next time you are passing through Richmond. Have a very nice Spring!
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Pros: Good location. No extra charge for pets. Very good price.
Cons: Overpowering smell of disinfectant/cleaning fluid in the room.

If you're sensitive to smells, ask to check the room before accepting it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay with us. Many guests love our location and rates. Our easy access off I-95 makes stopping here very convenient. We are happy to allow pets at no extra charge - most guests see that as a great extra value and helps keeps our prices more economical. I apologize for the overpowering smell of cleaning products and will takes steps to prevent this in the future. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Have a great Spring!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Red Roof Inn was the worst experience iv'e ever dealt with when it comes to hotels/Inns. Upon arriving 3 hours after the check-in time our room was a mess. Old sheets, beer bottles and dirty towels were left behind from the prior tenant. There were stains everywhere and the cleaning lady quickly apologized and started to clean. Then to my amazement and shock she had the nerve to put the same old dirty sheets back on the bed! I was in shock as i had to tell her to get get new sheet! My husband went to complain to the receptionist and she apologized and moved us to another room. We thought things were better and moved to the other room. when we got to the other room it smelled like cigarettes (they say they are smoke free) and there was hair all over the sheets and pillowcases from prior tenants. we tried to make the best of it and started trying to clean the hair off and flip the pillowcases. when we did that we saw stains on the pillowcases so we had to remove them. at this point i was becoming more and more frustrated but my husband said we should just flip the sheets. I agreed and we both started to strip the sheets. The final straw came when we got down to the mattress pad and there were visible old dry blood stains (see pic) that couldn't be cleaned properly. at that point we immediately packed our belongings and went to demand a refund. The receptionist was very nice and she apologized. unfortunately she couldn't find the employee list with the managers personal number (very unorganized) and took our number and she said the manager would call us. the next day we didn't receive a call and when we tried to call a rude receptionist said she doesn't know when he will come in and slammed the phone in my face. we were still billed and had to dispute the charge with our bank to get our money back. Till this day the manager (Keith) still hasn't called and apologized and i will never recommend this place or the company to anyone. Stay far away from this place. We had to leave in the cold with our daughter for the Hampton inn. The Hampton Inn next door was a much better experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kdmj2013
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for your poor experience here at our inn. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case it seems that we did not. I have spoken to my team to remind them all that we most provide the best room experience possible to our guests and even with updated rooms we have to continue to work on how our guests experience those rooms. I hope you will give us a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was one of three Red Roof Inns I stayed in during a short trip, and the location was convenient. The renovations were great, and the staff was very friendly at check-in and check-out. I stayed two nights and would be giving a stellar review if there had not been a serious cleanliness problem. I was given room 208 cleaned by Suzi and this is where things went downhill. The desk area had food residue, the bedside table had sticky beverage rings, the lamps over the bed had a heavy coating of dust as did the desk chair. There were stains on the bed cover and kitty litter on the floor. It seemed that housekeeping had forgotten to clean this room - just changed the towels and (maybe) the bed linen. The wall sconce bulb was missing so I asked the desk for a bulb and something to clean the desk and table surfaces. They offered to change my room and we were moved to 224 - also cleaned by Suzi. It seemed better at first - and at least this one didn't have the faint smell of stale cigarettes, but there was still a layer of dust on the bed lamps. Then my spouse went to the bathroom and there were heavy, obvious urine stains on rim of the porcelain bowl. I was stunned by this because all of the positive reviews on this location I had great expectations. I had read one person's review of a cleanliness problem and thought it was just an isolated, one-time problem. I would hate to see her lose her job, but I hope Suzi gets some retraining on properly cleaning guest rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CJonTon
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your comments on my staff and our new nicely furnished rooms. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case it seems that we fell short in cleanliness. I have spoken to my team to remind them all that we most provide the best room experience possible to our guests and even with updated rooms we have to continue to work on how our guests experience those rooms. I hope you will give us a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.
Elizabeth City, NC
Reviewed March 19, 2013

great customer service, thanks to Shana!!
rooms were clean, liked the updated rooms/laminate floors
good price
mcds across the st, right off the highway and close to down town
small bathroom but otherwise no complaints
the heater control is on the wall not the unit by the door...

Room Tip: the heater control is on the wall not the unit by the door...our room downstairs and all were close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie935
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your stay with us. We are very happy you like our upgraded rooms & location. It makes my day when our guests get what they deserve - great customer service & a very pleasant experience. I appreciate the very kind words about my associate Shana. I am elated that she made you feel so comfortable & welcome. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Have a great spring!!