“Just what I expected....”

Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #40 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Saint Marys, Pennsylvania
“Just what I expected....”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Red Roof Inn off of 95. Clean, updated rooms, with a super friendly staff. The bathroom floor needed cleaned but I don't go in bare feet and didn't plan to eat off of it. It's a HOTEL room. Nothing is going to be perfect. I have stayed in 5star hotels that weren't up to par. No there is no hairdryer but you can borrow them at the front desk...use your head people. Yes the bathroom is small, but I'm not buying the room, it's just a play to stay.The beds are comfortable, I am very picky about where I sleep!! We stayed here two nights while touring the southern east coast and were very happy with the room. Oh...you can hear the traffic from the highway, I wear earplugs and am a SUPER light sleeper, but slept very well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Our new rooms are very nice with the updates and continue to get positive reviews. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations. I appreciate your comments about our quality and service (the staff), along with your recommendation. However, I do apologize for the bathroom floor and I can assure you I will be addressing this with the housekeeping department. I hope that you enjoyed your tour of the southern east coast. We hope to see you again when you visit this area. Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We love this hotel. It is 100% smoke free and pets stay free which is really great. Most places charge anywhere from $10-25 extra per dog per night and this Red Roof Inn does not. It is in a decent location right off the interstate. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel has been recently renovated so the rooms have a nice new look to them. Hardwood floors, new paint, just overall very nice rooms. We have also stayed in the handicapped accessible rooms as my boyfriend is disabled and they are very spacious and easy to move around in. The only thing I would say is if you want a room with a fridge and microwave make sure you ask because not all of the rooms come with them. We did stay there this weekend and there was no hairdryer in the room but we called the front desk and I was able to get one from there. Other than that, we love it!

Room Tip: The only thing I would say is if you want a room with a fridge and microwave make sure you ask becau...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Being pet friendly with no extra charge has allowed us to meet many special guests like you. I sincerely appreciate all your kind remarks on our new rooms and my staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Cooperstown, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed there in September 2012. The front desk lady was very nice and funny.
I had a room with king size bed and non smoking which is very good to sleep.
I stayed there for one night peacefully and quietly.
The bathroom was clean but there is no a hair dryer.
I had to wash my hair because I had a long trip and I want to sleep comfortably.
I tried to dry my hair by using a towel, but it's still damp.
This is my own opinion. I would give good recommend if there is a hair dryer. :)
However, it was a reasonable price hotel, and ok for take a rest and take a trip further.

Thank you very much for your service.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: I would recommend the first floor with king size bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We are very happy to hear that your stay met your expectations and that you got a very good night sleep on one of our new Serta mattresses. We appreciate your kind comments on our clean rooms and friendly fun service. We currently have hair dryers available at the front desk, but as a company we are considering adding them to our rooms, so hopefully something will happen soon. Thank you for the recommendation & we hope to see you again next time you require lodging in the Richmond area.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had a terrific travel experience at this site. Very friendly, accommodating staff. Upon arrival, the front desk person Panther, was so very heplful w/check-in, a restaurant suggestion as well as touring guidebooks & general Richmond area information.

We enjoyed the room - neat, clean and we didn't experience any noise that affected us that night.

Richmond South Red Roof Inn is a permanent addition to our GPS whenever we travel north or south on 95 - thanks Panther!

Room Tip: There was not any restaurant nor pool at this site. Therefore the "terrible" rating is no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your stay with us. It makes my day to hear you had a terrific experience. That is what we all work for. I appreciate the very kind words about my associate Panther. I am elated that she made you feel so comfortable, welcome, and helpful. We are glad you had a nice quiet experience which most of our guest have. We are happy you enjoyed our new rooms and look forward to the next time we pop up on your GPS. Have a great autumn.
Bloomfield, Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The rooms, although very nice size and decorated were very smelly. The bed and pillows actually smelled like urine...i could not get any sleep. The toilet handle had to be jiggled to stop from running constantly. The lights above the bed only worked on one of the beds. Parking was not very adequate because they had trucks with flat beds parked across several spots, right in front of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
I apologize for your experience here at our inn. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case it seems that we did not. I have spoken to my team to remind them all that we most provide the best room experience possible to our guests and even with updated rooms we have to continue to work on how our guests experience those rooms. I hope you will give us a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stay at Red Roof Inns often and have always had a good experience. I expected the same from this particular location. I was disappointed on a couple of fronts that I hope can be addressed by management in the near future.

The location is extremely convenient, though there are few amenities in the area asides from fast food places. The front desk staff was pleasant and check-in was very quick, especially considering I did not have a reservation.

The room was indeed recently renovated, but there were some problems. First (and this is no joke) I sat down on the toilet and almost tipped over, toilet and all. The toilet was not bolted to the floor or wall, and wobbled so much upon sitting that it almost seemed unsafe. I'm not talking about a slight wobble - I could have tipped the whole thing over quite easily, and weighing in at 150lbs, I'm not hefty. That alone was bizarre. The shower was unclean and there was hair from the previous guest(s) all over. The floor needed to be cleaned, especially along the wall and in the corners. Two of the face towels smelled horrendous - that awful mildew smell that occurs when you leave your laundry wet in the washing machine for a month. I also saw a roach, though having traveled extensively in Central and South America I've become unfazed to seeing a single roach.

Other than those problems, the room was comfortable and nice. For the wobbly toilet alone I would rate this hotel as "Poor" but it seemed all the problems were in the bathroom and wash area, so I decided to rate this as "Average". The room I stayed in was 218 in case management wants to address the wobbly toilet and cleanliness issues. I wouldn't recommend this location at this time based on my experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the wobbly toilet in 218. You'll fall over!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
First let me apologize for your experience hear at our property, as a frequent guest to Red Roof Inn, I am glad for the opportunity to hear your expectations for being a guest with us and I am glad we met those expectations in the service we provided to you as a guest. But I understand that service alone does not define your experience and I will continue to work with my team to bring the level of room experience up to match the level of guest service. I have addressed your concerns in room 218 and I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. Hopefully the next time you are in the area you will have a chance to stop by and see that we have raised the room experience to match the service experience.
Elizabeth City, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Very clean, great beds . Highly recommend. The rooms very just redone. Enjoyed the wifi. Great place for our dog as well. We did not notice the noise like previous guest I commented on. Had 2 grand kids they went to bed early & slept late.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We very much appreciate your positive comments and recommendation. Our new rooms are very nice with the recent updates and are getting a lot of positive feedback. Being Pet friendly has also brought many new customers to our hotel & brand. Thank you again and we hope to see you again on your next trip passing through or visiting our great city Richmond, Virginia.