“Recently renovated rooms, friendly service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Ranked #38 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
New Haven, Connecticut
“Recently renovated rooms, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in at this price point. For $50-60/night, I expect very little, but Red Roof Inn provided wifi, a microwave, refrigerator, plenty of room, and great service. We stayed with our dog for no extra charge. The rooms were very clean, recently renovated, and plenty spacious. They look more up to date than many rooms that cost 2-3 times as much.

Midway through our stay, my brother-in-law joined us. The front desk was very willing for us to change rooms and even found a room that would minimize the distance we had to carry luggage. I would gladly stay here again if I were in the area.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are worth the extra few dollars, because they have a microwave and mini-fridge. O...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay with us. I very much appreciate your kind comments and recommendation. You are right on when it comes to price point – for the price our new rooms provide great value. Our service and pet friendly property make it even better. I am glad your brother in law got to join you – family is most important which of course includes the pets. I hope his experience was just as good. We look forward to seeing you again in the future next time you are passing through Richmond Virginia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bartow, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was a nice updated room, very conveniently located next to I-95...not many places nearby to eat! My husband had to work on the toilet a couple of times. The price was right and we are always thankful to Red Roof for allowing pets and not charging extra for them...there are not many motel/hotels that have such a great feature these days!

Room Tip: We had a room toward the Interstate...which was VERY close, but we did not hear any traffic noise!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Our new rooms are very nice with the recent updates and are getting a lot of positive feedback. We are happy to allow pets at no extra charge - most guests see that as a great extra value and helps keeps our prices more economical. Our easy access off I-95 makes stopping here very convenient. The limited eateries nearby will hopefully be increasing in the near future. We hope to see you again when you travel through Richmond.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I recently stayed here with our dog. The rooms are nice-I was pleasantly surprised to have laminate flooring and a nice tv. The decor is also nice and the water pressure in the shower was great. Unfortunately, we had a bug situation. The manager was in touch with us immediately and we were reimbursed for our expenses.
We all know that bad things can happen, but I think most people would agree that the way in which management handles it is what matters the most. The manager acknowledged the problem, corporate worked with us to fix it, and at the end of the day, I would probably stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Carlycanine
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We are very pleased that you found our new renovated rooms to be very pleasant. I am extremely sorry for the pest issue as we take these very serious to prevent and eliminate through regular commercial treatments. I am pleased that we were able to turn a poor experience into something that hopefully can grow into a long term relationship. I appreciate your understanding as we take aggressive approaches to all things that effect a guest’s satisfaction. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future and providing a stay that is 100%. Have a great summer.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Wish we could give 5 stars across the board, but air conditioner was the worst. Even on high, it was inefficient. Room was clean, comfortable, and tidy for roadside stop to sleep, but way too stuffy and hot. If not for the stuffiness, would've given 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Roadtrav
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay with us. I thank you for the kind quality& location remarks, but without the a/c working properly in this summer’s heat, I am sure it wasn’t a 5. I am very sorry for the a/c not cooling properly. Trip advisor doesn’t publish the reviewer’s information so if you can send me an email to i0086@redroof.com with the room number you occupied I could personally look at that room’s air conditioner to make sure it has been inspected or replaced. I look forward to your next visit when we can give you the 5 star experience you deserve.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have to admit that I was a little nervous booking a Red Roof. But, we were traveling with our dog for the first time and needed a place to stay. I think most Red Roofs accept dogs. I think the last time I stayed at a Red Roof was in college more than 20 years ago, so my expectations were really low, especially considering that they accepted pets. But, instead of carpet, the had a hardwood looking laminate on the floor which really gave a really clean look and feel to the room. And, the bedding and beds were much better than expected - comfy even.

Unless I knew all Red Roofs were like this one, I'd still be nervous about booking another. But, if I were in the Richmond area again, for the price, I would absolutely consider booking here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced I-95, but with the AC going, we did not hear any road noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Falcarragh13
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We are so thankful you gave us a try and that we were able to exceed your expectations. The new floors are very popular with our guests and a definite change from all carpet. We are just about complete having new Serta mattresses in all of our rooms. As a pet lover it is nice when you can bring that family member with you on trips and these days it isn’t always easy or free. We look forward to you staying with us again, hopefully in less than 20 years. Have a great summer!!
gainesville, fl.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The biggest disappointment is that there was no continental breakfast, typical in other hotels offering this price-point. There also was no coffee-maker or iron in the room. Hmmm, has the travelling visitor taken one too many?
Otherwise, it was a very pleasant stay, enough so that I opted for a second night rather than look for a better value.
Oh, yes, the front desk had some problems with the software allowing them to extend my online reseervation; they had to check me out, then check me back in. They were very friendly about it, and I wasn't in a hurry, but it was obviously a weakness in either their training or the system.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank obilon-kanobe
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We are very happy that you had a pleasant stay and that you opted to stay a second night. We try to offer the best value for the price which is why we haven’t introduced breakfast here as that would require a rate increase. We are continually working on improving our new front desk system and I apologize for the inconvenience associated with that. We do have coffee makers in our Superior Kjng rooms and are in discussions to install in all rooms. We hope to see you again if you are traveling through Richmond. Have a great summer.
Valencia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

This was the second time I stayed here. I was impressed with the updates to the rooms. A perfect stop on our way to N.C. Just off I-95. Room was clean but we couldn't get the AC to stay on continuously . Bed was comfortable. No complaints for a one night stay. Not many places to eat nearby except subway and McDonald's. All in all it was OK for the price!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us again & taking the time to share your experience. I see you are a regular contributor which makes your review even more special. The new rooms are very impressive and a step up for economy lodging. Being right off the highway helps make travel a little more stress free. The limited eateries are hopefully going to grow in the near future, but we are located within 6 miles of some excellent downtown restaurants as well as many favorite chains 6 miles south if you are up for a short drive. I hope that on your next trip through Richmond we will see you again. To help you with the a/c – there is a continuous run switch just under the a/c cover to keep the fan running after the room cools to the set temperature. Thank you again for your business and review. Have a great summer!