“Holidays at Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Exploritas used this hotel for its program "A Very Richmond Christmas" but the elderly participants were challenged by lack of accessibility, having to climb several steps to the lobby from our bus drop off. Hotel was noisy during some of the lectures our program included. Conference room was unavailable first day, so lecturer was stuck using unsuitable venue for first couple of meetings. Rooms were comfortable, and wi-fi free.

Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank twintx

Reviewed September 25, 2009

After reading the reviews for this hotel, I was very leary about staying here. My husband and I were driving to the hotel and we were not in the nicest part of town. I became very worried. But once we got to the hotel it was very nice and clean. The hotel is located in the middle of the college VCU. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. Helped w/ directions to a Pittsburgh bar that we wanted to go to watch the Steeler game. Also helped w/ directions to Richmond Raceway.
We had a king size room which had enough space to accommodate the both of us without any problems. The room was clean and the furnishings seemed rather new. It date state that it was remodeled in 2007. The breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon, biscuits, cereal, and of course their famous cinnamon rolls. We only had breakfast one day we were there, but that was to our choosing.
I was not very fond of the $10 a night parking charge that came w/ the cost of the hotel. The parking garage is not very secure and the elevators go right up to the floors of the hotel. I didn't feel very safe w/ that, but we had no problems whatsoever.
My husband stated we would stay there again especially for the ease of getting to the race track.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I accidentally found a very good value in downtown Richmond at around $110 for a weekday night. I actually thought it was a new property until I read other reviews here after the fact. It has defintiely been remodeled.

While I loved the spacious corner room and view, housekeeping had forgotten one thing which I was able to easily enough fix with a call to the personable woman at the front desk..

What really inpressed me was the general manager. He called me the next morning and took steps to make sure I was satisfied. I didn't have to ask, I didn't have to call - management contacted me. All too rare and very impresssive.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank RealDonn
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We booked & paid in advance, so the rate was less than $100/night. The room was large, the bed comfortable. Had microwave & frig. We specifically wanted this hotel to be close to our favorite restaurants & pubs, and for that, it's perfect. It's not in a pretty section of town, but it was safe enough for walking at night. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I can't even try to be partial about this one. From the time I got out of our car in the dirty parking garage, saw the broken elevator, and got up to the lobby I wished we had stayed somewhere else. The staff, however, were really nice. I have to give them all props because they were great, the place is just dirty and old. Our room stunk. A cross between old ashtray and mildew. There was a huge stain on the floor. The hottub had a ring around it and I had to wash it out with shampoo before we used it. TV remote control and refrigerator didn't work. The hallways need updating and there was no pool. Sour milk for breakfast, always a pleasant way to start the day. Overall, we were happy to leave in the morning. The room was really overpriced. Not to be mean, but this was the worst place we stayed out of 7 hotels by alot.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VacationsRock16
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Overall, this hotel was a pretty good bargain. For the $139 each of us (6) had 2 room suites. The bed was comfortable, but the air-conditioning unit made enough noise to wake me up several times during the evening. I did not report it, so I don't know how they would have handled it.

The breakfast was not elaborate, but sufficient. There were cereals, yogurt, breads, hot sausage and en egg product that was actually tasty.

The neighborhood was marginal. We walked to dinner and felt safe as a group, but I would not have walked to the dining area alone.

I was suprised and disappointed at check-in. I was next in line, but the clerk checked another person in first. When he finally helped me, he said, 'I saw you but didn't like your cap'. It was the cap of the nearby NFL team. I have received kidding before, but never rudeness. A little better judgement is in order.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Gary2hs
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for the Monument Ave 10K, a fun running event in downtown Richmond with over 35, 000 participants. We usually stay at another hotel about 10 miles from the race but decided to stay closer this year. The hotel was extremely convenient to the race. The hotel was undergoing renovations at the time. The room was a bit small but had a gorgeous view of Richmond. The breakfast was good and the staff was courteous.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family