“Fine, nothing too special”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
London, United Kingdom
“Fine, nothing too special”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a decent hotel; it's about 10 minute walk from VCU campus. The lobby area is nice, and the rooms are fairly spacious and clean. I liked how they had bed, bath, and beyond products for their toiletries. The staff was pretty nice. My only complaints are that they had the most uncomfortable pillows, and breakfast was mediocre (but free is always nice).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went to Richmond for a seminar at the Convention Center. This room was just what I needed...cheap, clean, included breakfast. Room was clean. Bathroom modern and clean. Breakfast was good not great. Very helpful staff at front desk. PLEASE NOTE: This hotel is not close to the convention center, it is a 10 minute walk. I knew this ahead of time and like the walk to invigorate me before an 8 hour conference. There is a shuttle to convention center if you do not want to walk.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank looking2snorkel
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I didn't booked and I went there at night like 9pm but front stuffs are so nice. I enjoyed talking with them, they explained me about their hotels clearly since they got to know I'm from japan and traveling alone. I was so relaxed. Also, their rooms are good too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mimimasami
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Not that I usually rent a movie while on the road, but, stuck in Richmond because of weather. The town shut down, even the mall was closed. So, brought food back to room with the girls, assumed we could at least rent a movie!!! But, no!!!! Also I must say the staff on duty that evening when we booked were rude. Again, I am not one who usually complains!!! The room and the hotel cleaning staff was great!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank peggy b
dvaden1984, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Peggy, Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness, staff and food selection.

However, We’re sorry about the in room selection of Movies and how the staff acted. We will look into this concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Holiday Inn for a weekend while in Richmond and had a good experience here. The hotel is an average Holiday Inn nothing fancy but a nice place to lay down in the evenings. The reason I gave it a higher rating is because of the location. There are so many attractions and restaurants within walking distance for me of a mile or less that I could not do them all. The staff was friendly and they have a good breakfast bar in the morning from 6:00am-9:00am. I did like the Cinnamon Rolls there, not the best I ever had but really good. The price is really reasonable I paid a little over $100 a night plus they charge an extra $10 a day to park. Not sure if i would pay the parking again as I saw ample street and municipal lot parking near the hotel but have to remember i was not there during the peak summer season. A word about the parking garage is that it has a low ceiling clearance of 6 feet so I had to park my truck in the outer parking area that only has about 10 spots. Not a problem in February but again during the summer I would be concerned that these spots would fill with so many people having SUV's. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a comfortable room near Richmond's many attractions, not a fancy place but then again I was not in Richmond to stay in a hotel room, I would likely stay here again with my only concern being the limited number of parking spots for SUV trucks.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Alandres154
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed two nights (Sat/Sun) on a recent long weekend. The hotel interior is looking tired, but our room was very clean. We had a suite with a spa, and it was spacious and had a door between the sleeping and lounge area which was important (toddler going to sleep early). The spa is a little odd in that it is in the lounge area. Turns out to be a good idea as it means you can relax in it while watching TV.

However, I would strongly recommend you do not stay in a room that overlooks the front entrance of the hotel. Our bedroom window (two floors up) looked directly over the hotel entrance. The window/wall was woefully inadequately soundproofed. As a result we had lots of street noise (cars) and worse, heard every single guest returning to the hotel on the Saturday night (especially those who'd been enjoying "refreshments" in town). As a result we were kept awake until well past midnight. There was also a lot of noise from outside the door due to proximity to the elevator.

The included breakfast was reasonably good with a few basic hot options included. The garage is extremely low and the parking spaces are tiny. Check beforehand if you have a large vehicle. The staff were friendly and we found the hotel to be good value overall.

I would recommend and would stay again, but only on the condition that our room was not overlooking the entrance due to noise issues.

Room Tip: Confirm you are not in a room overlooking the entrance due to noise issues.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul80A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Paul80A,

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay and for the parking arrangement. We will look into this concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here with my teens for Thanksgiving while we were in town visiting another one of my kids. The hotel was clean and quiet. There were not a lot of people there before Thanksgiving but it became much busier after. Even so, we never heard any noise on our floor. The staff was very friendly and responsive. The breakfast was better than at some hotels - they even had warm cinnamon rolls every day - and the breakfast room was clean and spacious. We had a lot of space in our 1 bedroom suite which included a fridge and microwave. Drawbacks were that there were not many outlets in the room, and most didn't work. It was also cold, but it got down in the 20's while we were there which is unusual. There is heat but it is loud when it is on.

Room Tip: Make sure to check your outlets to see if they work if you are going to need them to charge or run t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family