“Overall good, but we had a very noisy room”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed two nights (Sat/Sun) on a recent long weekend. The hotel interior is looking tired, but our room was very clean. We had a suite with a spa, and it was spacious and had a door between the sleeping and lounge area which was important (toddler going to sleep early). The spa is a little odd in that it is in the lounge area. Turns out to be a good idea as it means you can relax in it while watching TV.

However, I would strongly recommend you do not stay in a room that overlooks the front entrance of the hotel. Our bedroom window (two floors up) looked directly over the hotel entrance. The window/wall was woefully inadequately soundproofed. As a result we had lots of street noise (cars) and worse, heard every single guest returning to the hotel on the Saturday night (especially those who'd been enjoying "refreshments" in town). As a result we were kept awake until well past midnight. There was also a lot of noise from outside the door due to proximity to the elevator.

The included breakfast was reasonably good with a few basic hot options included. The garage is extremely low and the parking spaces are tiny. Check beforehand if you have a large vehicle. The staff were friendly and we found the hotel to be good value overall.

I would recommend and would stay again, but only on the condition that our room was not overlooking the entrance due to noise issues.

Room Tip: Confirm you are not in a room overlooking the entrance due to noise issues.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul80A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Paul80A,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness, staff and food selection.

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay and for the parking arrangement. We will look into this concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here with my teens for Thanksgiving while we were in town visiting another one of my kids. The hotel was clean and quiet. There were not a lot of people there before Thanksgiving but it became much busier after. Even so, we never heard any noise on our floor. The staff was very friendly and responsive. The breakfast was better than at some hotels - they even had warm cinnamon rolls every day - and the breakfast room was clean and spacious. We had a lot of space in our 1 bedroom suite which included a fridge and microwave. Drawbacks were that there were not many outlets in the room, and most didn't work. It was also cold, but it got down in the 20's while we were there which is unusual. There is heat but it is loud when it is on.

Room Tip: Make sure to check your outlets to see if they work if you are going to need them to charge or run t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annch740
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel is affordable and very accessible to nearby conveniences. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. If you are on a budget and also like a good hotel, this hotel is right for you. There is a weight room for any health conscious individual. Also, there is a nice seating area behind the hotel where you can read or just relax.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

First, let me say that finding a decent hotel in Richmond for a reasonable price isn't easy. I was attending an event at another hotel but it looked awful so I decided on this HIE instead. Very glad I did, although I absolutely HATE paying for parking.

Our room was big and clean, the bed was very comfortable, and breakfast was everything I needed (try the warm cinnamon rolls!). Breakfast ladies were friendly and on top of things. The area isn't the greatest, but I didn't feel unsafe either. The ladies working when I checked in and out were very friendly and helpful, as was our housekeeper. I wish it had been quieter (someone nearby blared the TV all night and there was a lot of door slamming and shouting) but that's more the fault of inconsiderate neighbors than a hotel issue.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear schraderj,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I appreciate your compliments regarding our rooms being clean and comfortable. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Each year that we participate in the Monument Avenue 10K, my friends and I stay at this hotel (and book VERY early) so we have easy access to the event. We reserve a room with a hottub, which is GREAT after an event like that. The staff is courteous, the breakfast is just what you'd expect from HIEx - and my husband and I always chow down on the cinnamon buns. As IHG members, we always receive that little extra special something, which is nice. Parking is a bit scary - we have a small car, which is a huge plus in that space. The rooms on the very top floor had water damage the last time we went, but we've never noticed issues like that on the other floors.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Louise B
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Parking under the building was small. Had to remind from desk of our package deal, and priority club membership! Room was old and musty, air conditioner was loud and annoying--breakfast was spare and not very good - not a great neighborhood-- would not go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stacycaryn
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Stacycaryn,

Thank you for being an IHG Club Rewards member and for writing us a review. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the room conditions has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I went to Richmond for a fulltime program at the Richmond Ballet. The sponsor obtained a discounted rate at the Holiday Inn Express. The facility was a walk of a few blocks from the hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The room looked north; it was quiet. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and handsoap were provided daily. A full breakfast including an egg dish, sausages or bacon, muffins, and gravy were served from 6:30 to 9:30 am daily. WiFi was free throughout the facility. A business center and a health facility were available for 24 hours daily. Parking in the underground garage costs $10 daily.

This is the second year when I have returned to this hotel for my weeklong program at the nearby Richmond Ballet. I plan to return next year.

Room Tip: Rooms 18 and 19 face north away from the street. They are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo