Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Preferred Hotels
$139
Delta Hotels
$119
All reviewspancake machinefront deskyogurtfree breakfastthe financial districtvcu campusthe usual amenitiesroom was cleanhelpful with directionsfan districthot itemshard boiled eggscorner roomupgraded to a suiteshort drivefree shuttlemonument avenue
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is my second stay at the HIE Downtown. We stayed in May 2012 for our daughter's VCU graduation. We were happy with our experience then. The ease of getting around town from here was a factor in staying again.

A couple minuses: Hotel parking in their garage is $10 a night (why not free?). The garage is dingy and very cramped with a LOW ceiling. Second, (and ladies willl understand my dismay), there is NO chocolate in any of the vending machines on the property. None. I know, because I walked all the stairs and checked every vending machine in the building. Yeah, I wanted chocolate. Sorry, but a chocolate chip cookie or Oreo is NOT an adequate substitute for chocolate - add chocolate to the "guest goodie bag" then. The amusing thing is that when I asked about chocolate, there was a secret stash of bite size bars in the manager's office (see, ladies know!).

The halls were a bit loud at 7 in the morning, because there was a cheerleading competition going on in town this weekend. The breakfast area was mobbed by teens and adults getting themselves together for the event. I stopped to get hot water and a couple tea bags for my daughter. All the tea that I could see was DECAF. ??? I prefer to use a plastic knife to stir my coffee, then use it to slice my muffin. There weren't any plastic knives. The attendant informed me "sorry, we're out" and seemed otherwise unconcerned. How does one spread butter or jelly with a plastic fork? Other guests seemed just as baffled. This attendant looked very unprofessional. Wearing a rumpled shirt, no name tag and SLIPPERS on her feet. I went to the front desk to ask about caffeinated tea. I mentioned that for folks who don't drink coffee, caffeinated tea is their morning jolt.

Shortly, a perky gal approached me about the tea, she pointed out that someone had put a decaf pkg in front of the caffeine row (three rows of tea bags: 2 were decaf and 1 was caffeinated). Then I asked, shouldn't there be 2 rows of caffeine and 1 of decaf?

I sat down with my breakfast. The "perky gal" turned out to be the new General Manager, Mary Wells. I gave her a real workout. She followed up on the plastic knife problem: I saw the attendant unwrapping plastic utensil bundles and pulling knives to put them in the knife cup. YAY!

Instead of half pint cartons of milk for cereal, etc, there were half gallon cartons of milk. The plastic cups were all next to the orange juice server (across the room and none near the milk cooler. This was also taken care of quickly.

Mary approached me to say that the hotel is in transition and she is in the process of getting everything up to her standards. I was thrilled at her enthusiasm and dedication. We will definitely return to this Holiday Inn the next time we're in Richmond. I was left with a very good feeling about the property. Small issues were quickly dealt with. My daughter and I were able to walk toward Shockoe Bottom for a late dinner. The beds were comfortable and the service was friendly. I can't wait to see how things are in another 6 months.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam F
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hello Sirabi,
I would like to thank you for all your kind words about our property. I enjoyed talking with you while you were visiting our hotel and I look forward to you and your family returning. I have spoken with our vendor who supplies our vending machines and they are currently taking care of our chocolate issue. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to service you. Have a wonderful day.
Mary Wells

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here for the Love Rox half marathon.
The Pros:
Friendly front desk clerks.
Great location for the start/finish of the race - just under half a mile walking.
Walking distance to several resturaunts.
Nice varied breakfast choices.
Comfortable beds.
Quiet rooms.
Parking available at a decent price. Even though I checked out, I was allowed to leave my car in the parking garage till after the race.
Cons:
Hotel could use a little sprucing up. They need to clean the carpet and chairs in the room I stayed in. Even the lobby chairs were not very clean. Other than that it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for all the kind words you stated about our property. Our front desk staff strive to achieve 110% guest satisfaction. We look forward to your return stay with us. When you return I hope you will notice the changes that have occurred with our lobby. Thanks again and we look forward to servicing you and your family again real soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Old facility, a bit down at the heels, but clean. Front desk person -- night -- was friendly and helpful. Convenient for our business but wouldn't want to stay there on vacation. Parking garage a bit spooky.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about our facility. We are currently looking in to additional lighting for our garage. I would enjoy the opportunity to service you and your business associates in the future. Thanks again and I look forward to perhaps meeting you on your next visit.
Mary Wells

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lobby is nice. Elevator is cold and you have to use a key to access floors. Inconvenient. Our room was a large corner room and the heat stopped working at about 10pm and we had to move. The bedding was torn and the bedskirt was shredded on one corner-what is that about?
The carpet was tired looking and whoever installed the faucets at the sinks did not know what they were doing.The faucet barely cleared the edge. And the re-grouting was badly done. Floor of the shower looked dirty, but like permanent dirt. Clean but stains.Breakfast was good.
I feel like Holiday Inn has slipped a little. Price was decent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Again thank you for bringing this situation to my attention.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

You'll note from my reviews I often stay at a Holiday Inn Express ("HIE"). This property was for the most part typical of the HIE brand. Check-in was efficient. I had a very nice, very large, corner room. The hotel was clean. Free internet worked flawlessly. However, there were a few minor flaws/annoyances.

The hotel charges an additional $10 a night for parking in the garage under the building. Was not expected (may have been in the fine print somewhere, but I didn't book the room) and I've never stayed in a HIE property that charged separately for parking. My room was only $112 - seemed a bit steep to pay an extra 10% for the car.

There was no fruit at breakfast the first morning. I asked and was told "we're out". Hmm - this seems like a rather basic breakfast staple to "run out" of. The second morning only apples; no oranges or bananas.

Upon checking out I wanted to be sure I was getting Priority Club points for my stay. The individual at the front desk told me that because I had not booked the room (my friend had booked two rooms in his name), I could not earn Priority Club points. I "pointed out" (pun intended) that as I registered for the room and I was paying for it I should receive the Priority Club points. I was then told that had I taken care of this when I checked in I could receive the Priority Club points, but that she couldn't do it now. I persisted and asked if she couldn't fix it. She said she didn't think so, but then eventually apparently figured it out. So, bottom line, instead of giving me a hassle and a big run around why didn't she simply handle the matter. This is not the individual I would want working at the front desk of my hotel.

Overall, this Holiday Inn Express is a good hotel with what appears to be some minor issues with operations.

Room Tip: If available for your rate the corner rooms are very large with King beds.
Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Illahee3103
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Illahee3103,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate the kind words about our hotel, nice and clean room, efficient check-in and flawless internet. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in customer service from our staff and breakfast choices. We give utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

We look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.