“A bit concerning...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Livonia, Michigan
“A bit concerning...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We checked in on a Sunday evening in mid-July and it seemed like the whole was empty. The hotel isn't really close to many restaurants and the lower floor parking was empty and unsecured. Anyone from the street can walk into the parking area and get into the hotel via the elevator. There's no entrance where you can pull up and check-in. The hotel also lacks a pool, which is pretty standard at most HIE hotels. However, the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Terry H
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked you room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual conditions of our parking lot caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for a nice weekend get-away for our anniversary. Since we're Priority Club members, we were greeted with free bottles of water and a choice of snacks. We showed up an hour early and our room was ready. Spacious and comfortable suite on the 5th floor. Very quiet, despite it being completely full. Front desk was very friendly and helpful when I had an internet access question. Thanks, Cody! The breakfast was so-so-I've had better and worse at other HIEx. I wish the tubs were cleaner, but it's a hotel, so I get it. Parking is a reasonable $10, HOWEVER...if you drive a vehicle that is over 6', you will not fit in the parking garage. There are a few spaces outside and they share a bigger parking lot with the bldg next door-you will need a pass from the front desk to put on your dash if you have to park there-we did. Over-all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robsrider18
Aalst, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Very nice and clean hotel close to all downtown attractions.

Spatious and clean rooms.

The only negative point is the $10 for the parking.

Fast internet and a good warm breakfast make it complete.

The frontdesk people were very helpful in giving a downtown map and showing the point of interest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BossErpe
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Lagrange, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just got back from a 2-week business trip to Richmond and stayed here at the Holiday Inn Express. I was pleasantly surprised by the room, which was a suite. New furniture and TV's, small fridge and microwave, lot of room to spread out and work when I needed to. Very clean, very comfortable bed and pillows (which is a problem for me a lot of the time). Not sure how great the neighborhood was, but it's sort of hard to tell the bad neighborhoods from the good ones in Richmond, pretty peculiar. Downtown was a stroll away. Hot breakfast in the mornings, similar to Hampton Inns, not bad. We got a corporate rate of $89/night on it, and I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank moconnor
Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked you room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We look forward to your next stay with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Good basic hotel. Nothing flash but good location with undercover parking (not secure though). Good service. Don't bother with breakfast - find a local eatery (unless you like food that looks nothing like its supposed to eg eggs and bacon)!

• Stayed August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. I do apologize that the breakfast was not to your liking. We do strive to make sure our guest are very satisfied with all aspects of our property. I hope in the near future you will give us another chance to accomodate you better. Have a great day.
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

The hotel itself is fine, clean and comfortable and a decent breakfast was included. We had no problem finding a space in the underground garage ($10 a night extra). However the location was very much a mixed blessing. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and found the streets absolutely deserted. Next day wasn't much better and although the museums etc were within walking distance, we didn't feel comfortable walking in this area at all. Fortunately there was a restaurant on the corner of the block so no need to venture far at night. One niggle I have with HIE is they won't give you Priority Club points if you have pre-booked through an agent. I mentioned this to the receptionist and she gave me a small bottle of water to compensate!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear sicarius1,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, VA. It is regrettable the Priority Club points were not credited to your account during your stay. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Viginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Wow, was this place a different experience. I arrive to the hotel and try to park, but my truck will not fit in the parking garage, (it was too tall). So I have to park out on the street, which means I have to get up at 5 am to move my truck so it doesn't get towed.

But back to the hotel. I get checked in, and the front desk person gives me a room on the 4th or 5th floor. Not telling me that the elevator is broken. So now I have to lug my suitcase and laptop bag up to the 5th floor. (Thanks for the exercise)

Overall, rooms were clean, I didn't like being forced to get up that early, but what do you do?

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CurryRussell
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear 911TechWV,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked you room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual conditions of our parking lot and elevator caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B