“Nice place”

Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond
“Nice place”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This hotel is a great bargain for he price. Directly downtown is hard to find for under a hundred bucks in a weekend and this place clocked in at 90 bucks on a Friday night. Super comfy beds. And I got the corner room on the top floor so great view of downtown put of windows facing two directions. I went to a concert at the national (a great venue, by the way) and caught a cab back for 3.50. Can't beat that.
Only reason for 4 out of 5 stars is the parking fee. There is an additional $10 fee for parking your car at the hotel that you are already paying a hundred bucks just to lay your head. I understand charging people who are not staying a your hotel and just want to g downtown. But not if we are already paying your for a room.
Only qualm.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the top floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your visit with us from late March. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The corner rooms with the 3 windows do offer some great views of the city. Parking in Downtown Richmond is a premium. All hotels in the area do have a parking fee to ensure our guests have a space to park. (Street parking is so regulated and limited and confusing for non-local travelers). We hope you will be back to see us in the future. Give me a call and we will ensure you are back in your corner Executive Room. Again, thank you for your time and comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
va beach, va
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The hotel has been recently renovated, new bedding, furniture, chairs, television, new plumbing fixtures etc. The rooms are all very nice. The staff was cordial and friendly. The problems are from the amenities that are offered or should I say not offered. First, the Holiday Inn Express website says there is a complementary shuttle within 2 miles of the hotel. It doesn’t say anything about not running on the weekends, or Monday thru Friday only during certain hours. When I wanted a ride it didn’t exist. Second, the breakfast was nice but during the 4 nights that I was there it changed only once and the juice bar and other items were not refilled when they ran out. Also their breakfast hours don’t change on the weekends. Closes up at 9:30am everyday. I have stayed at other HI Express lately and their breakfasts were much better run and open later on weekends. Third, the parking garage is gross. Garbage was there for the entire time of our stay and then they charge you $10.00 for the privilege. This property could be a real star with some easy fixes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mikeythebe
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
mikeythebe,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2011

It's not great. It's not bad. I would have given 3.5 stars had that been an option. It's within walking distance of all the downtown attractions. Stayed here for a night because I went to a concert at the National. I was upgraded to a suite based on my PC status. If you're apprehensive about questionable urban environments, I would exercise caution walking in the immediate area after the sun goes down. The front desk personnel is friendly enough. The side of the hotel I was on had an office building just outside the window. Ask for a room on a higher floor unless you want people looking into your room. If you're voyeur or an exhibitionist, ask for a room on a lower floor.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SGrnfield
King George, Virginia
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I was expecting the usual - a good HI Express. Not so, it was better.
Arrived in the early evening to be welcomed by a very nice young lady. She quickly got us registered and on our way to our room. We opened our door and were delighted to find we had been upgraded to a two room, Double Suite. It was clean, comfortable and very spacious. A really nice surprise!
The comp Hot/Cold breakfast was very nice as was the hostess. Enjoyable.
A note on parking in the underground parking - the ceiling is very low. I removed my roof top antenna so I could park inside.
The hotel is in a area central to many things. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor and enjoy beautiful night time views of Richmond.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VicF70
elizabeth city
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Spend one while in town visiting some local tourist attractions. Staff was helpful. Shower curtain was broken. It was reported to staff on the way out and I hope it got fixed. I thought the hotel was in a good location and a short walk (10 to 15 minutes) to several sites. Parking is very tight below the hotel. I would stay here again. Good standard continental breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for taking time to share your comments from your stay last week. I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay. Yes, the shower curtian and rod were repaired that morning after you reported to us. We hope to have you as our guest on your future visits to Richmond.
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed at this property on a Sunday night. Room was large and everything worked. Actually thrilled that the shower head was something like 6 feet 4 inches high... I'm 6 feet and I hate having to hunch under a low shower head to get my hair wet, so this, and the good water pressure, made this one of the better hotel showers. The room shows a little wear (peeling wallpaer in the bathroom) and the carpet looks a little worn. No restaurant and ice maching only on even numbered floors... none of this too horrible. For a business overnight or two it was fine... Neighborhood looks questionable, at least on a Sunday night and I doubt many single women would feel comfortable walking to one of the nearby restaurants after dark... though it is probably safe. There are some interesting looking restaurants nearby and I was thrilled with the tiny Cafe Rustica.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you for taking time to share your comments. The area around the hotel is businesses and financial buildings, so Sunday nights, the area is very quiet. As always we encourage our guest to use caution as in any center city location. I appreciate the recommendation on the cafe, I have never tried before and will now be able to recommend to other guest. Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to having you as our guest on future visits to Richmond.
Lewistown, Montana
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It is a clean property, recently renovated. Front desk service was good. Breakfast was very good. It is located within walking distance (half mile) of good eating downtown and museums and historic sites. The price was good for a decent downtown property. We would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments and recommendation. I am pleased that you had a good stay with us while in Richmond. We hope to have you as our guest when you plan a future visit to Richmond.