“Clean rooms, normal breakfast”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South
Ranked #59 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here on our way down to South Carolina. We were looking for a relatively inexpensive, clean hotel to stay at that had no issues with us checking in late at night. We arrived at 1:30am and the hotel staff were very accommodating. We had two rooms and the key didn't work for one but they quickly put us into another room.

Overall the rooms were relatively clean. It was nicer than I expected it to be. The bathroom had a little mold in the shower but not enough to make us not use it. The hotel offered a free breakfast and it was standard breakfast food (waffles, eggs, sausage, toast/bagels, oatmeal, and coffee).

The hotel is right off 95 so it was easy on/off and perfect for the price that we paid (I think $66 a night). My only complaint would be mushy pillows. My husband loves soft pillows and I prefer the firm ones so it worked out nicely for him.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SweetCatastrophe
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South

Reviewed October 24, 2011

While traveling with some friends, we booked two rooms for about $60-70/each. The lobby was clean and staff was......okay. My room was fine, nothing fancy, not the cleanest, but I wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel. Friends ended up requesting a room change because theirs smelled like smoke. Breakfast in the morning was fine by me. Again, nothing extravagant, but pretty good. I rate it as average because that's what it is. I wasn't paying over $100/night, so I wasn't expecting that kind of experience. All in all, I felt like we got what we paid for. If you want a 4 star hotel, go somewhere else and pay $150/night. If you want a decent place to sleep with breakfast in the morning, this hotel will do. Finally, conveniently located right off I-95.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank scottmpd28
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while visiting friends in the area. It was an "ok" experience and I would consider going back. We got a great "last minute" deal from the Country Inn and Suites website - so I can't complain. The area surrounding the hotel was an older area but there was a gas station next door and some fast food options. Down the main road there are a lot of major chain restaurants.
Overall the hotel was average. I expected a little more from a Country Inn & Suites. The rooms were in need of updating but the staff was VERY nice and accomodating and the room was clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DisneyTravelMom5113
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We loved it, We stayed there last year for 2 nites and will be returning to the same hotel next week on our trip back from Myrtle Beach. / Half way from Nj to Myrtle ,, Right off of Rt 95. Rooms are beautifully decorated and have all the amentites you could need. Very reasonable for such a nice hotel... Paid $64.00 which is unbelievable for a hotel of this quality. Has the free breakfast with waffles , eggs etc...Great

Room Tip: Had some great 30% discount for last minute rates.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynewolf
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Our large family,14 of us, used this hotel as a home while we prepared for our son's wedding. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Them went above and beyond our expectations. We stayed in king suites which were perfect for our large family. The pool and exercise room were well maintained. The location of this hotel was excellent. Near the highway, several restaurants and department stores. The breakfast was phenomenal. If you ever visit the Richmond area you should choose this hotel to stay in. The stress of having a wedding was minimized by the hospitality of those who worked in this facility. Thank you!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nedasharon
Reviewed June 5, 2011

When we arrived the AC was off in both the upstairs hallway and our room, making it unbearably hot for the first hour we were there. In addition, the pillows were virtually non-existent, needing to be folded over to provide any support. Otherwise, our stay was pleasant. The breakfast wasn't the highest quality, but there was a nice variety. The staff was also courteous.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MacaroniDuck
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Willis Road, Richmond, VA location on 2/22/11 after a visit to DC. After staying in the city and paying huge $ for very little it was a joy to arrive at CIS and enjoy the sincere, superb customer service along with all the comforts of home. Our room was clean, the water hot (did not have in DC hotel), wonderful linens (pillows=great) and Fred, the desk manager went to every length possible to please us. The cookies were out-of this-world and Fred actually had hot ones an hour after we checked in.
We live in a tourist-driven area and I realize how bad some establishments can become after a few years but after reading the other posts I believe that this location has obviously revamped itself since that timeframe.
My husband is the more particular/critical of the two of us and for him to be so relaxed and complimentary of the hotel (he loved the breakfast) assures me in recommending this hotel to family and friends. We were flying south on 95 when I called the hotel after reading great reviews on another site. We were 3 exits away when Fred quoted me a great deal and I am happy that we made this our last stop before heading home.
P.S..The bookshelf is a super plus. I neglected to read the bookmark within the book that would have let me know that you can actually take the book and return it to another CIS .

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank momofblitz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond South
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#66 of 82 in Richmond
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South? Share your experiences!