“A favorite still, with a few quibbles”
Review of Enoteca Sogno

Enoteca Sogno
Ranked #266 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have been to the new location twice. The food remains as outstanding as ever, and the ambiance on North Side is even better than the rather drab stretch of Broad Street where the old location stood.

I wish I could give the spot 5 stars. The wine list deserves it, as do the entrees. I was taken aback by how a few prices for favorite entrees went up...a mushroom & pasta dish rings in at $18, far more than the same item at the old place. The cheese sampler has become laughably small and expensive, too, unlike the artisanal cheesy delights of yore that arrived in some quantity. We opted for the excellent antipasti last time. At $10, it was a value and actually consisted of some food.

We'll continue to go, but the economy and rents have taken a pinch on this fine spot. I'm glad to see the owner about explaining wine pairings, as always. The staff far helpful and know the food, and they now mix a few cocktails (quite well). So some fine tuning remains to be done.

#1: Bring on MORE CHEESE.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The chef brings a variety of specials and new wines to try, making this a fun place to re-visit. I find the service to be on the slow side, however this isn't the sort of place to dine in a hurry. The gnocchi is my favorite, mostly because it is such a pain to prepare at home, however everything I have tried as been very good. My husband raves about a generous seafood pasta; I'm not sure there are any creatures left in the ocean after looking at his plate.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

We went after hearing rave reviews. The food was good, but not extraordinary. One entree came very dry and wasn't corrected until the rest of us were finished. They did not charge for the meal. It was so noisy that we were shouting and left with a headache.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

We were working in Richmond and conversing with some locals about some of Richmond's best eateries when someone mentioned Enoteca Sogno. It was just around the corner from "Dot's Back Inn" -- a fave eatery we discovered on the Food Network, and we were nearby, so we decided to check it out. The scallop appetizer was phenomenal and my rockfish entree with side of pasta was the best tasting meal I have had in years. We shared a bottle of the house Lambrusco and my wife ordered the fettucini bolognese and we split a huge portion of authentic tiramisu with a pair of cappucinos on the back side. When the bill came, it was $41.20 -- I was stunned. I've paid that price for only the bottle of wine at other places. I actually considered NOT posting a review because I was reluctant to share this secret, but this place is off the beaten path and deserves kudos and recognition. Atmosphere aside, I've traveled across the US and to more than 80 different countries and it's safe to say that Enoteca Sogno is on my global Top Ten list. Check it out -- you will NOT be disappointed.

1  Thank duffpilot
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We tried Enoteca Sogno not knowing anything except it had Italian cuisine and were quite surprised to find such great food in a storefront restaurant. Others found the Sausage Rappini excellent, I thought the mixed seasfood pasta was marvelous, but one person thought the the pesto was rather dry and plain. As others have noted the wine list is extensive but the white was served without a cooler. Unforunately the noise level of the main area was extreme and even in the bar area too loud to completely enjoy the meal.