“The Magpie is an absolute pleasure, start to finish!”
Review of Magpie - CLOSED

Magpie
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norton
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I have dined at the Magpie twice, and both times, we've enjoyed both fantastic food and exceptional service. On our most recent visit a few days ago, our server greeted us immediately and seated us at a window table away from most of the other diners, which was exactly what we wanted (it's a small place, so it can be difficult to get some separation from others). She went over the entire menu with us, explaining some changes since it had been printed. Most importantly for me, when I asked about gluten-free options, our server was very knowledgeable and didn't have to go check with anyone else--she explained that they try to make as much of their menu gluten-free as possible, and avoid "hidden gluten" in the ingredients they use. It ended up that the only items that I couldn't eat were fairly obvious to me based on the descriptions, and there were only a couple of them--even those could have been prepared gluten-free if I'd wanted them, so that was wonderful.

We ended up ordering a brussels sprouts appetizer--they were fried (no batter), with vincotto and a light dusting of Gruyere, and they were fabulous. So good, I could have eaten them for dessert, honestly. My husband doesn't even really like brussels sprouts, but he enjoyed these. For entrees, my husband ordered the hanger steak, and I had a pan-seared rockfish with fingerling potatoes, cipollini onions, and a buttermilk-horseradish sauce. The portions were perfect (just enough to fill us up), and everything was bursting with layers of flavor that harmonized perfectly.

On our most recent visit, we skipped dessert, but we did have an ice cream dessert on a prior visit and it was wonderful, a worthy finish to the meal.

Overall, we love this place. Both times we've been, we've used a Groupon, but I think we need to make the Magpie a regular stop--even at full price, it's a great value for the money. Reservations are highly, highly recommended, as it is a very small establishment and fills up quickly (we had reservations at 5:30, and the restaurant was essentially full by 6:30).

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The food was great.soup, sausage, appetizers. All great. The chocolate shortbread bone marrow desert was terrible. It was too so hard I could barely eat it and had a salty sour taste. But that forgave that because everything else was very good. The service was prompt and friendly. The atmosphere was very cool. I ate some things I had never tried beforem .

Reviewed February 2, 2014

A friend recommended this place. It is off the beaten path which is nice, but still close enough to things. Got there at 7:00 and was glad we had reservations. We looked over the wine list while our table was cleared. Eclectic menu with daily specials. Liz got the grilled scallops and I got the seared venison. They also had two rabbit dishes as specials. Service was good. Timely and informative. Cozy atmosphere with quite a few having dinner at the bar. Definitely recommend the place.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had a fantastic and creative meal at Magpie. Attentive service, marvelous, flavorful food with good sized portions. Look forward to our next meal there.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went with a group, on a Friday evening. The place is small but not overcrowded, a good cozy character. There is a nice drink menu with some inventive cocktails and good craft beer selection. Starters were excellent all around, I had the brussel sprouts - a unique starter excellently prepared. Large plates show a good variety with some very flavorful combinations. I tried the venison, not my normal fare, a really nice and unique combo. The group ordered several desserts and these did not live up to quality of the other food - obviously an after thought to the preparation and care taken with the rest of the menu. Every one of us would definitely go again, but might find a finishing sweet elsewhere.