“Great Food, Skip Dessert”
Review of Magpie - CLOSED

Magpie
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norton
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went with a group, on a Friday evening. The place is small but not overcrowded, a good cozy character. There is a nice drink menu with some inventive cocktails and good craft beer selection. Starters were excellent all around, I had the brussel sprouts - a unique starter excellently prepared. Large plates show a good variety with some very flavorful combinations. I tried the venison, not my normal fare, a really nice and unique combo. The group ordered several desserts and these did not live up to quality of the other food - obviously an after thought to the preparation and care taken with the rest of the menu. Every one of us would definitely go again, but might find a finishing sweet elsewhere.

There are newer reviews for Magpie

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Due to the snow, there was only one other table occupied besides ours. The food and service were excellent. My husband enjoyed his miso soup to start which was tastier than that of most Japanese restaurants. His scallops, with fingerling potatoes and cauliflower purée, were sweet and tender. I started with roasted beef marrow on grilled bread with a parsley purée followed by tender sweetbreads au vin with mushrooms and cipollini onions. I also had the roasted Brussel sprouts which were some of the best I've ever had. No room for dessert but my DH ordered the donut bread pudding to take out. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. You can order small, medium or large plates.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went with a friend for a light dinner. We didn't have a reservation so were seated at the bar. The bartender was congenial and got us started immediately. We each ordered a bourbon cocktails ( can't remember the name). The top shelves are lined with bourbons ( Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, etc.) and many others. The bartender gave us a sample of the handcrafted bloody Mary base, which is served for the brunch. We ordered caramelized onion soup, venison sausage and pork "jowls" which were outstanding. The atmosphere was warm and conversant, with customers chatting with each other while waiting for seats or around the bar. The meal is crafted from local foods, made from scratch, therefore the prices are slightly higher than family eating. Drinks were comparable to mixed drinks prices around town. Will plan to go again.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We ate here as a group of 12 and the restaurant was so accommodating of our big group. Since it is such a small space, I'm guessing they don't get large parties often. I will say the check out process was a bit tedious so if you do go as a group - let them know in advance if you're separating checks.

The best part about this place is their cocktail menu and unique food choices. A few of us had the Magpie Muddle which was your choice of spirit muddled with mint and green apples - yummy with all three choices. We got a wide array of dishes including the venison, butternut squash soup, red grouper (with rootbeer spaghetti squash... awesome) and scallops. Not one person had a bad dish out of the twelve of us.

The service was a bit slower which we didn't mind at all because of the size of our group. They were extremely friendly though.

Decor was really fun and artistic. It had a very old and vintage feel, but managed to stay fashionable.

Highly recommend for foodies and anyone looking for an outside the box experience!

1  Thank Anngie22
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've been wanting to eat at the Magpie for some time and finally got around to it. The food is fantastic. Not huge servings, but everything was cooked so well and tasted so good, I left completely satisfied. The prices were very reasonable. My husband and I had "crispy yellowtail snapper" - basically fried fish but cooked to perfection! It was served with sauteed kale and "root beer" spaghetti squash. We shared a small plate of brussels sprouts as an appetizer. The meal was healthy and perfectly seasoned. The beer and wine list had excellent selections. The wait staff were excellent, attentive without being intrusive. As the title states, I'd love to eat here every night! It is a small restaurant, and one site recommended reservations, but we had a good selection of tables at 7 PM on a Monday night.

1  Thank pflady