“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norton
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Tucked away off the main corridor Magpie was a surprise find. It is a small restaurant with great food. Service was excellent. Wines terrific. Food slightly different but pleasing to the palate.

There are newer reviews for Magpie

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Pretentious. You've been to these kind of restaurants. Small, intimate and expensive. The menu is small, but the prices are steep. The beer/wine prices are increased so as to pad the bill. The food may be good, the service Ok, the ambiance quaint. But you walk away wondering why you spent so much for so little.

I came here with my sons for "burger" week in Richmond. $5 burgers. Good enough. But that's the only break we got. 6 onion rings--$3 extra, and they tasted like waffle batter. The asparagus appetizer? $7 for nine, yes, just nine asparagus that were burned. Not nicely charred. Burned. When I mentioned this to the waitress she indicated that was they was they grilled them. I'm a cook. I don't burn asparagus. I was not offered a chance for a replay.

My bill exceeded my wildest expectations. From some other reviews I've read, I'm certain there is good food here. Since the menu is very small, almost too petite, you have to figure they can do the five or six things every night pretty well. But unless you are willing to accept tiny portions and high prices, please, save yourself from coming here. I hate to say anything bad about a homegrown Richmond restaurant (I've lived in this city over 30 years!), which is nestled in a neighborhood that is on the rebound. But this place needs a reality check.

If you like to be noticed at a seemingly upscale place and want to brag to your friends as to just how special this restaurant is, then, by all means, go for it. But if you want real value for a great meal (and there are many other Richmond restaurants that offer that), then stay away.

2  Thank mr8tch
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went for brunch. Brunch is our favorite meal. Hubby got the smoked steak and eggs which he enjoyed a lot, nice presentation. Cooked to order. He wasn't in love with the potatoes, but it did not take away from the overall enjoyment of the meal. I had the Heuvos. They have a twist on this, the beans are in more of a mexi-style sauce on a tortilla with the fried eggs on top. It was really yummy. I would have probably enjoyed this even more in the winter, preferring a less heavy sauce-like a fresh tomato cilantro etc sauce for a warm summer day. Service was good, a bit pressed for a full house and only two servers.
Make reservations, they are generally packed.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Not your typical meat and potatoes kind of place. The food is fresh and delicious. Oyster night the night we were there. Not sure if this is a usual thing, The Oysters were awesome and the accompaniments excellent pairing. Will go back when in the area. Small need reservations.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Small place, changes menu all the time so you can try different brunch items...

One of the best brunches I ever had!!! Amazing food